It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

whats wrong with the news?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
All the news i see now is some local issues, the weather and celebrity bull crap! it annoys me how lindsay lohan is on the news more than anything else. The oil spill has been on the news like once. Major issues around the world are not emphasized enough in the media. I would rather here about the pelicans being killed in the oil spill than lindsay lohan gets drunk again. Since this has been labeled possibly the worst "accident" in history, you expect it to be on the news alot more but no its hollywood this hollywood that. It pisses me off that the media is worthless slave of the government that is not allowing full freedom of press on tv. Does this irritate anyone else and is this similiar to your news channels?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Whats wrong with the news?
it doesn't have any news in it

like you go to get a shot of whiskey from the bottle you've been saving and you find out some cop has been sneakin into your house and drinking it and replacing it with floridated water

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I like your metaphor, very accurate. and yea basically the "news" does have no worthwhile news. This is why i read some AP reports and my main news source is this site!!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
You're right, story of crap at 6.....and film at 11.

This is yet another reason I love ats, and I don't even tune into the local news anymore. I have found the news is a day or 2 behind ats in most cases.

When I do tune in, it makes me laugh(and sad) because of it's superficial sensationalist reporting. Most of the companies that own the news probably have vested interests in the oil industry too so they are "turning down" the volume on the real stories.

I start my day here now instead of a news site for information.....

Peace

[edit on 8-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
its probably true that most news channel companies are somehow intertwined in the oil industry so they would keep it on the downlow. I also believe the government sensors what will go on the news, or anyother major channel for that matter of fact.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by smokn442
All the news i see now is some local issues, the weather and celebrity bull crap! it annoys me how lindsay lohan is on the news more than anything else. The oil spill has been on the news like once. Major issues around the world are not emphasized enough in the media. I would rather here about the pelicans being killed in the oil spill than lindsay lohan gets drunk again. Since this has been labeled possibly the worst "accident" in history, you expect it to be on the news alot more but no its hollywood this hollywood that. It pisses me off that the media is worthless slave of the government that is not allowing full freedom of press on tv. Does this irritate anyone else and is this similiar to your news channels?

I couldn't agree more. The internet i believe counter balances this, with the ability now for small news agencies to pop up and deliver to the masses.

Once the internet becomes controlled like laws passing in Australia, it's all over and who's ever at the top will stay there for ever.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Caveat Lector

Well china does that to, interenet control that is. I agree that if this happens in the USA we are screwed and the freedom of press is basically not even freedom. But the problems with the internet is virus possibilty or false stories, which is why i always double check what i read and try to find other stories to verify.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
What happened to the news?

YOU got a little bit educated, and now you think differently.

The "news" has not changed a bit, but YOU have.

THAT is what happened to the news.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

No i remember when there used to be important stuff on tv, and not all that much hollywood stuff. But its all about lindsay lohan this lohan that. Oh twilight swept the mtv movie awards. apparently the media is trying to pass this stuff on as important and events such as the oil rig.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Its supply and demand, I'm not sure which country you're in - but if its the states - switch over to PBS and write a letter to the others telling them so, and why.

We have the same problem here in Aus, I stick to ABC and SBS.

That and the internet.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

I use ATS since everything ends up on here, and AP news.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
What has always been wrong with it...
It's programming, and it seems to be effective...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I'm not sure what channels you're watching but i see "oil spill news" daily on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, CBS, HLN, NBC, ABC. So i don't see how it's not being reported on, at least from my perspective. As far as Lindsey Lohan news goes, don't watch Hollywood Access then.
The only mention i saw about Twilight winning awards was when i saw it on MTV while flipping thru channels. I can't stand hollywood crap myself.

But seriously i see the oil spill coverage all over the news channels/talking heads show daily.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by smokn442

What is wrong with the news is that the people who rule your life also rule the news.

As for preferring perlicans to die an agonising death from the oil, why not look at the world and your environment as where you want to be, and realise that pelicans dying in the oil could be you, dying because the world has been ruined by people.

Because when nature dies, we all die.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by smokn442

Here in Romania they`ve always shown us that!
We have some world news here in there, but they especially tell us who`s dying!
If a grandma in some village has died of broken heart, if some 15yo raped another one in another village, if a nephew killed his uncle for money...
And the other half is about "celebrities" (note the quotes): what new expensive cars they`ve got, how they lost weight after Christmas, how some other singer decided to get into the parliament or the government - so what if he/she doesn`t know how to speak his/her own language or use proper grammar?

[edit on 9/6/10 by sandri_90]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
So if you go to ATS home page, and under recent hot topics there is one about the "UN" vehicles that were at a jacksonville airport. Well whats so signifcant about this is that the first comment after the OP is something about the american media digging this up and talking about it. but guess what no they wouldnt.

new topics

top topics

join