It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Border Patrol agent kills 15-year-old boy in Texas after rocks were thrown

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
As soon as I read that title of this thread I knew what most of the replies here were going to be like, and boy was I right!

I still don't understand how the Border patrol agent was "surrounded" while the body of the child he killed was in Mexican soil across the Rio Grand. You can all go ahead and say that border patrol agents have the right to defend themselves when they encounter a threat, and I agree with that 100%. However when you are getting rocks thrown at you, you don't shoot to kill someone. I wonder if this agent has ever heard of warning shots.

[edit on 6/9/2010 by muse7]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by thedarklingthrush

Put that agent up on a murder charge - rocks versus guns - that child was murdered.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by FuGGer

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by LadySkadi

Rocks can be very deadly. All it takes is a hit with the right amount of force on the right part of the head. And considering it was a group throwing rocks its even more so.

There's a reason why they stoned people to death in the old testament; It killed, it didn't leave you with weapons to clean and it was painful.

a baseball bat can be deadly, no? why dont you and 4 other friends get 2 bats each and throw it at me or take a swing at me.

i will just use a semi-auto pistol with 9 rounds.

come on 5 vs 1...im sure you will come out tops. 2 bats each. are ya ready to bring it?!?!

If this had been a white American kid the public would be outraged. But I love how all of you try to rationalize the KILLING OF A 14 YEAR OLD!!!

Whats wrong with you people?!?!

[edit on 6/9/2010 by 3vilscript]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Border Patrol agents are targets. Thye are kidnapped, tortured, and killed.

Stone throwing is deadly. There have been nasty injuries, and it has been used in the past as a way to execute someone.

If this kid were not throwing rocks at US LEO he would not have been shot. He put himself in this position. And it is likely this "kid" has kids of his own. 15 is not exactly a "boy" in Mexico.

This agent was defending our border. Give him a promotion so that he can teach other agents how to do what he did.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
reply to post by thedarklingthrush

Put that agent up on a murder charge - rocks versus guns - that child was murdered.

No, he was killed while attacking the US border. His stuidity got him killed. I hope others learn a lesson so that more people don't get killed.

I am 3 hours from the border. If they make it this far throwing rocks, i guarantee that they will die.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by 3vilscript

Pulling out the race card makes your whole argument FAIL.

We are hispanic in this house. And we fully support what this officer did. He was being attacked while defending our border. Give him a medal.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedarklingthrush

Wow this is straight out of the West Bank and Gaza. This is only gonna make the Israeli debate rage harder as now its being brought home.

I don't think it will be too long until people start drawing comparisons between Israeli treatment of Palestinians and American treatment of Mexicans, if stuff like this continues to happen

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/8/2010 by semperfortis]

There is no comparison. This is a Mexican citizen being killed while attacking our border. The US is not bulldozing Mexican neighborhoods. We are not starving them. All we want is to enforce our borders.

America has lots of wrongdoings. This isn't one of them.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Ok, just two days ago while sitting on the patio of the coffee shop I work for, a crack head(literally) showed up and started harassing my customers. I asked this person to leave in a calm, yet firm tone, he refused and continued to harass my customers. I threatened to call the police if he did not get off the property and leave my patrons in peace, he refused. Instead he decided he would start making threats directly at me and some of my patrons when suddenly he picked up a huge rock.

I pulled my weapon, 9mm pistol. Why? Because I know what kind of deadly damage can be caused by a rock the size of a baseball. It IS a deadly weapon. When he saw my gun he put the rock down(thank God) and became very cooperative until the cops arrived. When the cops got there they expressed to me that I had done the right thing because of the gravity of the situation. Had he gestured to throw that rock I would have shot him.

Are all the facts out? No. So I will reserve judgement on all of this until then. A rock, however, is the oldest known deadly weapon, and it still works. For an officer or individual to treat such a threat in a passive manner could spell disaster. Maybe this kid should have thought twice before throwing deadly weapons at border patrol personnel.

Xenophobic reaction...Heh, that's cute.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Pixus

Probably not pull out my hand gun and probably not shot the kid.
You mean to tell me that it's ok to kill a kid or any person for that matter because he or she is throwing rocks at you?

Thats why there is tasers and taser guns. Mace and pepper spray. Hell tackle the kid down if you need to but no your gonna shot him instead.
Sickening.

Peace!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
As soon as I read that title of this thread I knew what most of the replies here were going to be like, and boy was I right!

I still don't understand how the Border patrol agent was "surrounded" while the body of the child he killed was in Mexican soil across the Rio Grand. You can all go ahead and say that border patrol agents have the right to defend themselves when they encounter a threat, and I agree with that 100%. However when you are getting rocks thrown at you, you don't shoot to kill someone. I wonder if this agent has ever heard of warning shots.

[edit on 6/9/2010 by muse7]

Warning shots? Are you serious?

You do know rocks can kill very easily right?

Try sticking to topics in which you are educated on, you obviously dont know much about this one.

Warning shots, lol thats a good one.

You NEVER fire a warning shot.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

You mean to tell me that it's ok to kill a kid or any person for that matter because he or she is throwing rocks at you?

Yes, it is ok. If he or she is attacking, you are free to shoot, and ask questions later.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Maslo]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
This stupid kid wasn't long for this world anyway. He was definitely a contender for the Darwin Award. I mean, what kind of idiot throws rocks at someone who is carrying a gun?

He got what he asked for.

I was going to come here saying that this a pretty sad state when an officer shoots to kill over someone trying to cross a border but after reading your reply and a few others on the first page, maybe the officer felt he had no choice.... could have been a kill or be killed situation although had he had a taser things coud have been avoided.

Also... havnt these guys heard of the 'paper, scissors or rock' game?

[edit on 9-6-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Unfortunately a standard issue Taser X-26 has a maximum effective range of 15 feet. The officer would have had to physically close the distance and expose himself even more to the rocks being thrown. I honestly believe the BP agent followed the rules of engagement here.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Armour For Victor

If i feel that my life is in danger, and retreat is not an option, the aggression with which i would act would likely completely horrify you.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Even it was stated a few times in this thread, I repeat for all those who whine that the agent was in the wrong:

Rock thrown at you is a deadly object.

If this simple fact of physics and forensic science doesn't sink in your head, you have no business posting on the web.

I propose that the BPs are issued submachine guns and are given proper body armor. Somebody proposed a no-mans land with landmines, which may also be a good idea. Less chance of altercation.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by Armour For Victor

If i feel that my life is in danger, and retreat is not an option, the aggression with which i would act would likely completely horrify you.

@BigfurryTexan I would have to agree with you. I have lived in 3 of 4 border states and have followed and covered the Illegal Immigration issue for over 10 years.

While it's unfortunate that ANY young person is killed before his or her time...this incident is par for the course. The people coming across the border illegally are NOT ALL innocents...most are gang bangers and some are folks that are on the terrorist watchlist. Most of the time these people are traveling with armed to the teeth "coyotes" who are paid by the drug cartels to "protect" their interest.

Bottom line..... "stop or I'll shoot" means EXACTLY THAT! And btw if these same sojourners where traveling from Guatemala through Mexico as Illegals, the would have been robbed, raped and perhaps executed...by the Mexican authorities and police.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Somebody proposed a no-mans land with landmines, which may also be a good idea. Less chance of altercation.

Come on now.... do you really want to start laying down 'land mines'?

This situation can be sorted with some Politcal sense surely... ... the people trying to cross into the USA arent exactly trying to kill Americans.... they aren't terrorists!!

Maybe on the Meican side they have to stop the drug lords and on the American side they have to come up with some fair policy.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I almost always side against the cops...BUT in this case, not knowing all the details and accepting the version being given...I too might very well fire on a crowd or people trying to brain me with a rock. A rock to the head could kill...or make the cop uncomcious..and that is not acceptable for anyone to tolerate.

I hold cops to the highest standards, and i give them hell...but right is right. Anyone trying to brain you with even a medium sized rock could kill you, and that is justification for deadly force.

If the info changes I will adapt my reply, but for now it is tragic but the cops seems justified.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I’ve been lurking this site for a couple months already and never felt the need to post due to the lack of relevant information to share but now I feel the need to add the following picture:

The body of the boy that was shot, he is clearly in the Mexican side of the river so I don’t know how he could have been of any threat to the border patrol officer. I only can see an excessive use of force and good aim from the officer.

Source

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

Life is not fair, and there is no such thing as a fair fight outside of Hollywood. What should he have done, pick up rocks too and throw them back to make it all fair? Maybe the agent should have just run away because his only real action to a situation of a group of people bent on attacking him is defending himself with his gun or running away.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Xtrozero]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join