It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man busted by traffic camera gets unique revenge on police department

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Excellent revenge!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by bonnieprince
Honestly its quite simple, stick to the speed limit. Everyone always goes on about revenue raising and such, and yeah maybe it does pay a part in it, but you know, you're still breaking the law. Everyone thinks they are a fantastic driver but speed limits are there for a reason, sure you might get home 5-10 minutes later than if you went over, but why risk a ticket and the possibility you could hurt someone for 5-10 minutes of time? I know its not a popular view, but these things need to be enforced because cars easily turn into killing machines.

Most speed limits are actually invalid under federal law. Section 2B.13 of the federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control devices sets forth the guidelines for determining a speed limit on a given road:

Standard: After an engineering study has been made inaccordance with established traffic engineering practices, the Speed Limit (R2-1) sign (see Figure 2B-1) shall display the limit established by law, ordinance, regulation, or as adopted by the authorized agency. The speed limits shown shall be in multiples of 10 km/h or 5 mph.

When a speed limit is to be posted, it should be within 10 km/h or 5 mph of the 85th-percentile speed of free-flowing traffic.

The dirty little secret is that most roads in fact have never had a traffic engineering study performed. A random numer is picked, and set artificially low in order to produce revenue from the citations produced from that artificially low speed limit.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by brainwrek]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Reply to post by ShadowArcher

Aye, you are absolutely right! People seem to think the speed limit is more of a guideline than a rule. If everyone would obey it, we would not even need the cameras. But no, people want to get somewhere 10 seconds earlier and be irresponsible, therefore we have the cameras. I was at a restaurant last week and next to us were these guys basically bragging about the speeding tickets they got. These kinds of creeps are the reason people die everyday on the road. It just boggles the mind on the carelessness of some people.

These are probably the same careless neanderthals that don't know what a turn signal is.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

[edit on 6/9/2010 by Sandro]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Where we live , the cops have vehicle mounted speed cameras .

One disgruntled customer stealthily removed it's number plates ,

... then spent the rest of the day , driving past said camera ,

at 150 km/h , with the stolen plates attached to his car !!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Nice one
good post for cheering everybody up, well done to that man and thanks OP for posting

Can I just say though, there is a big difference in going a few miles over the speed limit and doing say 70mph in a 30mph zone. Not all 'speeding' is bad/dangerous driving (no matter what some of you say
)

I thought that in the good ol' days (probably before I learnt to drive lol) there was an allowable limit in the UK (dunno about anywhere else) - like say if you were in 30mph zone you were allowed to go a wee bit over (33mph or something) without fear of prosecution - this made sense because no matter how careful we are driving, occasionally due to a slight downhill or whatever, the speed will fluctuate a bit.

That is not the same as dangerous driving! But because drivers are now afraid of their speed fluctuating like this in the presence of a speed camera, they will spend far too much time checking their speedometer and not paying enough attention to the road.

Rant over

[edit on 9-6-2010 by tappy]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5c32c97a594a.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2ad5e308931.jpg[/atsimg] Except where they should be.

What we need to do is shoot out the lens on these cameras being put up everywhere instead of being like compliant sheep.

1984 is here.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unregistered
The man's speeding so it's his fault. I can't see why he should extract revenge when he's in the wrong in the first place.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Unregistered]

hahhahahahaha classic. a law i didnt agree to and im pretty sure nobody else agreed to as well is not a law. just because some greedy sob wants to get rich off peoples fear doesnt mean the rest of the able minded people need to suffer from it.

the reason i know the governments dont give a crap about your safety is because they allow companies to sell cigarets when its proven it kills you. if they give so much of a sht about us why allow toxic products to be sold????? anybody???? thhaaatttss right they tax the crap out of it. and what do they do when we break the law they fine us. here is a question for you why not speed limit all cars to 110kmh. since there are no roads in australia that exeed that speed limit i dont see the point of having a car that goes up to 220 kmh.

wake up please half the world is getting tired thinking for you. they play me this were doing it for you own good garbage, because i can show you other examples of they dont give a crap about you just your money.

all you government bootlicks remind me of wives in abusive relationships, you get bashed by your husband and somehow you defend them? you must love getting bashed??? thats the only thing i can gather.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Personally, I find the whole speeding thing rather bogus. There are many instances when it is possible to go faster than the posted speed limit yet be driving in a safe, responsible manner. A speed limit is black and white, and arbitrary; thus it cannot adjust to conditions. Sometimes, it is necessary to drive slower than the limit to be safe. And when speed involves other cars, relative speed is more important than any given speed per se. I also have another thought, that when one does speed it is normal to concentrate more on looking for police instead of driving proper. So I would argue that causes a more dangerous situation than the fact one is traveling ten miles over the limit, or whatever.

With today's technology, we could probably eliminate active policing of highways but for forms of truly reckless driving. What is important for public safety is to stop somebody who is apt to cause an accident, or to deal with issues when there is an accident. And if an accident occurs, the black boxes in the cars could be checked for various statistics, and then apply the driving laws to those who contribute to the wreck. In this way, we punish people only when they actually do cause harm. Just because someone is not in strict accordance with driving laws does not make them dangerous. It depends on the situation. That being said, we do benefit from structure on the highway. It’s just that we don’t need micro-management and arbitrary punishment to drive safely.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by tabularosa]

[edit on 9-6-2010 by tabularosa]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Bravo. This is citizen action that can be applauded! Humor and information are the best weapons!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Star & Flag...neat revenge story.

Perhaps we could put a camera in every doughnut shop to catch the mindless, rotund, slack-jawed cops stuffing their faces while the robo-cameras are doing their jobs for them.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
This is what they did to red light cameras in the phoenix area around christmas time

Good stuff. Cops were really pissed about this one.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Like I said if you are on some desolate road and want to do 130 MPH I say fire away. The only person who could be hurt is you. But if that be the case I think the medics should have the option to respond to your crash or not.

I know that sounds sick and in reality I don't agree with it. Of course I think the medics should help but here is my point. So many people are claiming speeding to be the victimless crime. What happens when the speeder loses control and rear ends or t-bones the guy they weren't paying attention to? Now we have a victim...

Calling speeding a victimless crime is tantamount to arson in an abandoned building. Well nobody was in there so where is the victim? Why not just fire my gun wildly into the air? Nobody was in front of me so where is the victim? Well the answers are as follows.

The arsonist burnt a building down to the ground. He destroyed property that belonged to someone else. Potentially someone could have died trying to put the fire out. Hence…victim

The guy firing his gun in the air could have stray bullets fall and injure or kill someone. Potential is there…hence…victim

As for the speeder, plain and simple physics will tell you that an object travelling at 50 mph will be quicker to stop in the same conditions with an object doing 100 mph. It’s so simple. If you drive 100 mph it WILL take you longer to stop than if you were driving 50 mph. The potential is that the extra time and length makes rear-ending or hitting something more likely.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t want to talk down to anyone, I just want to simplify this.

If you are driving at 50 mph and the car in front of you is 20 feet ahead and slams on the brakes you have a certain portion of time to react, apply brakes and come to a stop. In the same situation with the exact same reaction time, the car driving 100 mph will take longer to stop. The potential for collision is now increased.

THAT is your victim. Just because the victim is potential doesn’t mean the victim doesn’t exist.

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

LOL! I have to give major props to that man. All ure websites are belong to me!

2nd Line >_>

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Procession101]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by bonnieprince
Honestly its quite simple, stick to the speed limit. Everyone always goes on about revenue raising and such, and yeah maybe it does pay a part in it, but you know, you're still breaking the law. Everyone thinks they are a fantastic driver but speed limits are there for a reason, sure you might get home 5-10 minutes later than if you went over, but why risk a ticket and the possibility you could hurt someone for 5-10 minutes of time? I know its not a popular view, but these things need to be enforced because cars easily turn into killing machines.

Seriously, I'll be the judge of my driving and ESPECIALLY my morals... not the law.

Most speed limits are there for a reason but here where I live there are too many 30mph restrictions on dual carraigeways and cameras setup as soon as new speed limits are enforced.

Part of me thinks that the quote in bold above is just a bait post... do you really feel that 'breaking the law' is a terrible thing? The laws we are supposed to abide are unethical, immoral and nonsensical statistic driven rules. If I do 38 in a 30 or 90 in a 70 should I really be stopped, fined and lectured by someone who should be protecting people??

Yeah if I'm flying through a built up area with children playing then take me to the cleaners but I'm afraid these law enforcers don't have the power of independent thought... therefore our laws are a systematic control mechanism.

Sorry, I hate to lose it on here, especially aimed at you, you're obviously a pretty sound person but I can't stand the laws in this terrible place.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
That is great!! I like to see people stand up and not take it anymore. Thanks for sharing. That made my day.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
To be honest most law and government branches usually seem clueless as to the internet/computers in general that he will be lucky if they don't arrest him as a hacker.

I think he will probably lose the domain even being the now legal owner but it is a very intelligent way to hit back at them.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Do people opposed to what this guy did really think traffic laws are about safety?

Do you think the revenue has nothing to do with it?

Lots of people saw "oh, well just follow the law".

That in itself is an ignorant argument, as a majority of laws are without merit.

For example: I live out in the woods in a small town in Wisconsin. A routine drive from my house to town, a single car might be seen, and on a busy weekend 4 or 5.

The speed limit on my road is a ridiculously low 25 mph. The local police department knows that the limit is too low, and as such people tend to go faster than that, so the cops stake it out. I myself have received 2 tickets as a result of the cops watching the road, and both times I had them successfully thrown out of court using the method I posted above.

Now just because its written as a "law" why should I continue to go 25?

Back country road, hardly ever is there another car in front of me.

People who willingly and blindly throw away common sense because it flies in the face of what someone thinks the law should be are not people at all, they are sheep.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Another interesting tidbit I found out from a cop friend of mine is that in rural areas more accidents are caused by failure to maintain appropriate speed than going too fast.
In other words granny was going too slow, and got her knickers knocked off by someone simply doing the speed limit. Yet I don't hear the impassioned pleas for geezers, cell phone half wits, and rubber neckers to get their foot on the darn gas, and maintain appropriate speed.
"Appropriate" by the way is what all the other traffic is doing regardless of posted numbers. If you merge onto a interstate highway at 60 mph, and all the other cars are doing 85. You better go 85 or YOU are the traffic hazard that could cost someone their lives. Speed alone doesn't kill, it's stupidity that kills. Most "thuper thafety conthious" do gooders I have observed are actually super scary drivers in practice. Common sense is an uncommon comodity.
Traffic is supposed to "flow." If you are doing 60mph when all the other traffic is doing 80mph because you are a good law abiding citizen, you are really delusional, and are an accident waiting to happen, or worse the cause of a collateral accident that kills someone else. Common sense says go the SAME speed as the other traffic, not faster, and not much slower.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
How the hell does one find out when a site's url will expire anyway?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I wish I would have had the chance to pick up a domain liek that wow, awesome job!

I hope their TN camera snoops go bust!

Then all of them for that matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join