It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Walmart Money Card

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
So I got and registered a Walmart Money card several months ago. I read bad things online, but figured, if I'm not giving them any money, they can't take it from me. So, when I need to use a credit card, I'll put money on it. Otherwise, I leave it empty.

Today I got an email with important information about my Walmart money card. Namely that they're about to start a new policy sharing every piece of information they get from your use with that card with many other third parties.

Well, technically, not third parties, but anyone associated with GE. So, you know, just about every company in the world.

However, they offer an ability to opt out of this, simply by calling a number and telling them you don't want them to share your information. Seems perfectly reasonable. A pain to have to do, and chances are they have one operator answering calls, but there's still a means by which you can opt out of this information sharing.

Unless (you had to know that word was coming...) you actually read the fine print. They make a big deal about protecting your rights, and then have this sitting near the bottom of the email:

Please understand that, even if you opt out as described above, we will continue to share information with joint marketing partners and service providers as described in this policy, and as otherwise permitted by law. And we will continue to share information that identifies you, and about your transactions and experiences with us, with companies within the GE Family.

So you can opt out, but they don't care. Think I'm just about done with my Walmart Money Card!

[edit on 6/8/2010 by junglejake]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Yeah thats why I use a gift card to get gas. I had a WM credit card at one time. 24.99% intrest. No Thanks.

If someone breaks into your house you can kill them.

If You deal with banks you have no recourse.

Bankers and Child molesters .... Both are scum of the earth.

Got Rope?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
That's basically what most big companies do, collect informations and sell them or use them for advertisement and other purposes. There's no way out and all those cards and bonus cards and stuff they give away in supermarkets are just to collect informations.

We had that with a bonus card Karstadt (Big german department store chain that recently went more or less bankrupt), they advertise that you can get bonuses and cheaper prices but they also collect all information. Your name, where you live, what you buy at what date, how much money you spent and then they use it and sell it to other companies.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
Your name, where you live, what you buy at what date, how much money you spent and then they use it and sell it to other companies.

In that same email, they had this:

If your billing address is in Vermont, this information will be limited to your name and contact information, and transaction and experience information on your account.

Which implies that if you live in any other state, the amount of information they share is far more extensive.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SWCCFAN
Yeah thats why I use a gift card to get gas. I had a WM credit card at one time. 24.99% intrest. No Thanks.
Bankers and Child molesters .... Both are scum of the earth.
Got Rope?

Agreed! The banks and institutions like Rat-Mart, will continue raping the Chinese workers (they make about 4 bowls of rice a day), and American consumers.
Yes bring rope and cords of wood!

Star 4 u, and
S&F to the OP.
PS
Big wave to junglejake from Hammond!

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Violater1]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Just a heads up on the Walmart Money card... it doesn't work the way you describe. They get their money in other ways. For example, you chose not to use it... they charge you a small monthly fee and the next time you load the card with money, they get theirs. This is NOT a good solution if you are trying to be a miser with your money. They also have a up-front fee. Again, look at the terms closely and you will see they are doing you no favors.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I have my trusty petsmart card and kroger card. Those are my two most frequented shopping destinations. I know that they use these to collect purchase data. I buy the same stuff pretty routinely and shop fairly routinely. I dont get emails from them and I enjoy not having to pay the increased price to cover the discount at the checkout or gas pumps.

Beyond that, I laugh openly at every other company that offers me a shoppers card for their store.

link   
reply to post by junglejake

That's because information is the new "money" junglejake.

They could care less if you want privacy.

As long as they make their money off of it and sell you out.

No Place To Hide : Face Recognition, Information Data-Mining, and Loss of Anonymity

Check out the thread above if you want some collected information on them.

By them, meaning of course, the information databases.

Remember, information, the new money, it means nothing to you, and everything to them.

According to them and those they sell it to.

You can opt out via learning how their systems work and through a monkeywrench in it.

link   
Yeah, I saw that there was a $3 initial fee and a $3/mo fee. I wasn't sure what would happen if I tried to reload it. Given the email, tho, I have no intention of ever using it again.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

A Super Moderator from ATS falls for a Wal-Mart scam? What's the world coming to? LOL

I cut my credit card 12 years ago and I will never take any other kind of card anymore. You know that these "services" are not there to help you at all, only to help themselves play with numbers in accountability.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aresh Troxit

A Super Moderator from ATS falls for a Wal-Mart scam?

Haha all that means is I've been around and know what the site stands for, not that I'm smart

But it is set up like a debit card, and I didn't have any problem with it while I was using it -- I knew about the $3 monthly charge and only had it loaded for about 2 months.

My point was more along the lines of the disinformation they were putting forward. Sending an email with a clause that would make people feel safe, but with a second clause saying that it was a bunch of bunk. Just deconstructing disinformation

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I live in Canada and while visiting the states when I was 18 I signed up for a points card of sorts with a large food store. The ones they give out in store for a discount at the cash. They gladly gave me the card and took my info. (never gave them the true info as they didn't have postal code, only zip code on the form.) Anyway, a year later I went back and used my points card only to find out that it was still active. Sad that they didn't bother checking the info. So some big brother company has a name and address that doesn't exist. Or shouldn't exist as I don't live there.

So have no fear of the info they pass. unless you gave them the correct information.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Is it that you give them an amount and then the card is filled and you can only spend it at Wal-Mart?!? That sucks...

I think, ultimately, these kind of cards are a bit like so many web site that say FREE, but register, pay, buy, resell and pay us a cut, then it is totally free! And help us con 5 of your friends, too!

I just remembered that, concerning fine prints, on tv or paper ads, they will be subjected by a new regulation, here in Canada. Like fine prints are to be visible, meaning you have to be able to read them at first glance, not with a lawyer.

But I agree, double-talk in contracts suck. I don't have that kind of problem, because the girlfriend will ask so many questions that I would never have thought of, and eventually, we find the catch.

Seller of anything are in Hell when in her hands.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aresh Troxit
Is it that you give them an amount and then the card is filled and you can only spend it at Wal-Mart?!? That sucks...

No, you give them an amount, the card is filled and, for all intents and purposes, it works like a Visa. A nice gift card, but lousy debit card.

Given that all of your activity is sold, an incredibly awful debit card.

To get your card to be fully functional, you have to fill out a lot of personal information (name, address, SSN, etc.). Then your card works everywhere. Before you fill out that info, it works some places but not others.

So they offer a card that costs you money to spend your money. Then they charge you monthly to give them your money. Then, if you want to use your money everywhere, you give them a lot of information about yourself. Then they sell your information to others for whatever reason the others want it.

That's a pretty steep price to use your own money.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I got one to use on the internet.
They advertise that its great for internet use.
BULL****

No one will take it.

The really strange thing is WalMart on line shopping also would not take it.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

If you register it, they will. That's one of the restrictions I found out about.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Visa gift cards are good for online use. You have to register it, but after that it's all good. I love them for Amazon.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Yikes! It is way more terrible than I thought!
At one point, a few years ago, I had only one card to attest who I was; my health insurance one, and I didn't renew it for ten years.

So when I had to fill papers and prove in triplicata who I was, I would tell them I had no other info to give them. They mumbled a bit, and always told me it would be sufficient... You just have to not give in. Basically, they know people don't know the laws, so... They do like construction workers and screw.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I got one to use on the internet.
They advertise that its great for internet use.
BULL****

No one will take it.

The really strange thing is WalMart on line shopping also would not take it.

Are you sure you have the WalMart prepaid Visa card? I have had this money card for years and have never had a problem ordering anything online including WalMart. I shop quite often online and I pay my bills with it. I refuse to have a bank account. I only load it when I use it for bills or purchasing online. I find it much better than a bank account. I don't like banks period. I would rather not have this card but now a days everyone requires one for something.

I pay $3 to load it and $3 a month in fees. To me that isn't that much. Also them giving out my information well I'm not too concerned with that. I think the federal government has all my information from shampoo to shoe size after filling out loan apps and such for school
I'm surprised they didn't ask for my first born!

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Sure you have the WalMart prepaid Visa card? yes.

Tried it at brownells and Numrich Gun Parts Corporation nether would take it.

Tried it at three online medical supply places and no good.

Tried it at LittleMachineShop.com and they would not take it and i have done walk in business with them for years and i am on there computer system with my name and shipping address.

The problem seams to be the Nigerians and there scams have burned any card companies that are not connected directly to a bank.

Small businesses want to be able to check with a bank and make sure you have plenty of money.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join