It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Conspiracy Chicks - Episode 0.1c - Deepwater Disaster

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Both chicks (especially the British one) are flailing around and moving their arms and bodies way too much, which takes attention away from what they're saying. I think the first thing you are taught in debate and public speaking class is to keep your body, arms and hands relatively still.

Study any news anchor or politician and you can see that their movements below their heads are limited, except for the very few times when they want to accentuate a point. This body movement should be the exception, not the rule and should only be used on very limited occasions.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
My constructive criticism/suggestions:

• The girls need to share the news reports (bit of back-and-forth)
  • ATTENTION SPAN - Shorten how long each gal speaks to about 30 seconds at a time, or so (what ever works, but not 3 minutes - we are internet junkies with the attention spans of fleas!)
  • Changing shots of speakers keeps the pace moving along
  • Shorten each segment - distill the information down into the key points but ALWAYS stick to the theme of conspiracies
  • Grab "newsbites" from member contributions to threads and put them in as graphic, 1 or 2 would be great (it would make it interesting for the members too!)
  • Don't try to be too thorough about the news because this isn't a "news" show - it's a CONSPIRACY analysis/summary of news events
  • Make the script read more like conversation - not a news announcement
  • We need more of the natural emotion expressed that these gals have about these news events (suspicion! outrage! humor! rant!!)
  • Why 2 people? Because that allows you represent 2 sides of debates, etc. SO USE THAT to your advantage.
  • Comment on what ATS members said ("Phage killed another thread today... with this comment he made that got many stars...") LOL

I look forward to watching the show change shape in the episodes to come

[edit on 11-6-2010 by harrytuttle]

CX

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
I think the first thing you are taught in debate and public speaking class is to keep your body, arms and hands relatively still.

My daughter used to do this when reading in front of the class.

In the end i suggested she get one of her elastic hairbands and fix her hands together, she wasn't able to move then.

She said it worked a little, funnily enough though she hasn't asked me for advice like that since.

CX.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Now that is a fair reply, I'm glad I wasn't "flamed" for not agreeing with everyone else, thank you.

I take your point and hopefully they will improve with time, but I think it is more a personal taste thing. I prefer my conspiracy relations to be more cloak and dagger, the conspiracy chicks make it seem too light hearted to me but of course this is just a personal preference.

One thing I will say is that if I were to show a skeptic the conspiracy chicks I personally think they'd find something like this even more laughable (not saying the girls are laughable I mean the context in what it is) and close their mind more so. I could be wrong but it all just feels very corny in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Why do the conspiracy chicks *HAVE TO* respond to anything?

Everyone has their critics...doesn't mean the critics are correct.

There are people who hate Shakespeare, there are others who can't stand Elvis, or Van Gogh.

There are still people, alive and breathing today, that believe the world is truthfully flat.

ALL OF THAT - for no reason other than it goes against the grain, so it "Must be right".

I'm not comparing the CC's to Shakespeare (no disrespect to them, of course) but i am comparing what they do to how some of you react to it for no reason what so ever. "I, for one, am not impressed". Well Good. IF you think ATS is selling out, or the CC's are selling out, then by all means, show us how it's done.

ATS and The CC's are not selling out....they're just doing the job that the rest of us are too lazy, or too afraid, to do ourselves.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

The thing is... What can we really say to such comments? Its going to happen no matter what, 1, We are female and people will say stuff like that to begin with, Hopefully in time that wont be the main focus,
Im sure like anything new people will look at us under the microscope for now ...but im sure that will get boring and then it will focus more on the show we are doing,

Im mean its not like Ashely or I are sitting there in provocative clothing, That's not how we are personally in our real lives so i do not think we are egging that all along,

We are both women who have major commitments in our day to day goings on, Ash a mother and myself a carer,

We are thankful for the positive Critique and taking note as to improve things,

And YES!! I know SIT BLIMMING STILL
I tend to do that when nervous
so i shall be sitting on my hands next time!

Speech wise i shall also be making sure i work on that a little more again i think when im slightly nervous im just trying to get through it lol Thinking way to far ahead, Again something im taking note of and will improve for the next show,

Again thank you to everyone who has posted and gave us some feedback,
Good and bad it makes us work just a little harder,

Im sure our groove with develop with each show we do, So bare with us!

Thank you all again, xxx

Julie

[edit on 11-6-2010 by asala]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
So bare with us!

Be careful what you request. I'd hate to see anyone hurt in the stampede.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
MOVEMENT.

We'll do what we can but our intention is not to sit there as if we have titanium rods inserted into our spines or as if our arms have lost all feeling. We're animated individuals who have little interest in posing ourselves as newsbots. So we'll try to adjust things a bit if it's a distraction for the viewer but we will also avoid the 'MSM paralytic shoulder shot' look. This is supposed to be laid back and animation carries through our true natures.

We know all of you and all of you know us. We're here every day, we are very interactive with members, we jump into the fray, and have formed relationships with you over the years. We're not some detached entities that appeared just for this project. So we are going to broadcast as if it were 'friend to friend.' And that means movement.

INDIVIDUAL STYLE.

Some suggestions have been along the lines of be more like [*insert MSM anchor here*] or [*insert Comedy central host here*] or even [*insert some web cam ranting You Tuber here*]. Again, we're not going to be imitating anyone. The only thing we can be and have any interest in being is Julie and Ashley.

It's impossible for us to please everyone and imitating MSM will upset those who want Comedy Central. Trying to be Comedy Central will upset those who want us to be like a You Tuber. And so on. Therefore, we're not going to be any of them. We're going to be ourselves because that is what is natural to us instead of trying to 'fake it' and imitate someone else.

CONTENT.

This is currently being discussed. It appears a lot of the suggestions in this thread are split rather evenly. About half are saying focus more on member content and highlights. The other end of the spectrum is saying don't just review what members have already presented- be fresh.

Obviously, satisfying one group is going to leave the other unsatisfied as they are polar opposite suggestions. We can either highlight the top information on ATS and be met with 'rehash' accusations or we can attempt to bring fresh content only and be met with 'what about the members?' Which if we do, we're then met with 'Don't just read the threads to us- we already know what the members posted!' And the cycle continues.

So we're reviewing ways we can mix it up between 'fresh research' and 'member highlights' in an effort to please as many as possible even if we know we'll never be able to please everyone and are not going to exhaust ourselves trying.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. A reminder: Keep it constructive. Rudeness will not be tolerated. Julie and I are members here, too. Whether or not you feel 'we deserve it' for putting ourselves out there is irrelevant. We are members here first and foremost therefore civility and decorum is still is still enforced.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
M
  • Make the script read more like conversation - not a news announcement

• Comment on what ATS members said ("Phage killed another thread today... with this comment he made that got many stars...") LOL

• Good ideas man

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:33 AM
    link   
    reply to post by AshleyD

A combination of News/rehash of important threads and "whatever Julie and Ashley feel like doing commentary on today" would work beautifully

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:10 AM
    link   
    reply to post by cupocoffee

Thanks. We're definitely discussing it.

One of the challenges we face is that YOU guys are so good when it comes to posting breaking content. The members are the reason I now go to ATS for my daily news instead of elsewhere. You are on the ball.

It takes us a few days to research, write, film, and edit. Typically, breaking events are posted on ATS within minutes. So it will be a challenge to have fresh content which is why we will definitely be focusing on member content. Even in the cases where we find that 'gem,' chances are, by the time we release the show, it will be posted somewhere on ATS.

And we wouldn't have it any other way!

But at the same time, we also want to add freshness in the mix.

What some may not realize is that this will not be confined to ATS. One of the purposes of the show is to highlight ATS content to wider audiences. So we will focus on your contributions but would also like to add unique material as well.

We'll be working the kinks out for sure, with a focus on our highly valued members.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:49 AM
    link   
    Can anyone tell me how to view all of the comments I have posted, if that is an option? Thanks...III'MMM NNNNeeewww!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 12:42 PM
    link   
    Let's get a few things straight shall we?

This show is a vehicle that will hopefully attract a much wider audience and their additions to the myriad discussions happening here on ATS.

This show is NOT (and never will be) the 6 O'clock news.
    It will NOT be a "doom fest" of screaming and yelling about the ultimate demise of all things good and chocolate.

The only mandate S.O. and I gave Julie and Ashley was To BE THEMSELVES.

We've known these women for years, we've watched their communication skills grow and their research abilities are outstanding as is their personal PASSION for ATS topics.

This show is about what the title says it is... It's about Ashley and Julie sharing their perspective based on their research of our topics.

That is one helluva BIG JOB for these two. We won't hire someone to write the shows for them, we won't hire someone to do the research for them nor would we want anyone to coach them from a presentation stand point.

They have to do it ALL themselves. That's the way we want it. If we wanted to put out a CNN or a FOX Clone, we'd have gone to the usual talent agencies and hired people who were very good at acting like news anchors.

The reason we didn't (won't) do that is we want people who are engaged members of ATS representing our brand to the larger population. We want people who "get" what our membership is saying and "get" where our membership is coming from.

This show, as Ashley pointed out, was not designed for the ATS membership per se... It's goal is to bring the other 3 or 4 billion people on the planet who are being fed MSM pablum and don't know they can tap into and engage with the wisdom of the Internet's wisest crowd.

Do we hope the vast majority of the membership like it? Sure we do.
    Am I confident there will be a percentage that won't? Absolutely.

If you are looking for a "pissed off, doom and gloom presentation" of these topics this is not the show for you.

If you are looking for HONEST, well thought out and researched commentary about what is on the collective mind that is AboveTopSecret.com, presented in a professional, non dire, with a dash of FUN, way you just may like it.

All in all, these two women have stepped up to the plate, done nearly ALL of this on their own and have done the best work I've seen in twenty plus years on a first episode.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:05 PM
    link   
    reply to post by Springer

I don't think anyone on ATS could have put it better...

Well said.. and well needed.

One thing I have noticed that ATS has a constant habbit of doing is being way ahead of the MSM in almost every respect.

As was just said by Ashley in a few posts above, I too come here for my main source of news and info..
    I get it all here BEFORE it hits the streets. I have noticed that ATS has an average of three days before the MSM gets their mits on some of the stuff we discuss. I've even seen stuff turn up on the MSM up to a year later.

Anything and everything ATS does is a step in the right direction and with this new show, can only get better and better.

These 'chicks' (or signets as I prefer, for we all know what signets grow up to be) are doing an outstanding job and there can be no doubt that they will progress beyond any level we can currently foretell.

Just imagine it, these two...bigger than any MSM news channel..

Who'd have thought it!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:17 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Extralien
    reply to post by Springer

I don't think anyone on ATS could have put it better...

Well said.. and well needed.
    I agree with you and Springer, I think it makes the most sense to ask them to be exactly who they are, and not anyone else! Genuine ATS members communicating a genuine ATS spin is much better than anything scripted or trying to imitate someone else.

These 'chicks' (or signets as I prefer, for we all know what signets grow up to be)
    Not all of us know.(well, I don't).

This is what I understood a signet to be but I didn't know it could even grow up?

www.foxfirejewelers.com...
    [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d9a7b688d53.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:21 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
    This is what I understood a signet to be but I didn't know it could even grow up?

Actually I think the more common spelling for what they were going for is "cygnet".

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:28 PM
    link   
    reply to post by yeahright

OK that helps a lot, that makes more sense!

I wasn't aware of the alternate spelling. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:44 PM
    link   

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:45 PM
    link   
    ATS has heavily advertized the "Conspiracy Chicks". For Springer to then say, "They've done this all on their own" is kind of a cop out. I did not know that the entire production was “User made”. This does change things and I am glad that you told us about it. However, Springer, you did plug the “Conspiracy Chicks” video on your radio interview with the Coast to Coast radio show. I didn't hear you mention any other user made content on the radio show. This user made content was advertised as an "ATS Company" endeavor. Now you are trying to claim that you had no involvement in its content, or production.. However, you had a huge part in its promotion and distribution. I certainly don't see homepage banners for any other user made content. For future reference, if your going to promote a show as an ATS company endeavor then have the honesty to tell up front that you really had no involvement whatsoever in its production.

Obviously, my previous comments have hit a negative chord,so, I feel the need to better explain myself. Firstly, I have no ill feelings whatsoever towards Ashley, Springer, or anyone else here. My comments were not meant personally in the least. I am absolutely confident that if you were ever to meet me (as you will see in my video that I am now making) then you would realize that we would get along great and not have any problems on a personal level. None of my comments were related to being a “First timer” in front of the camera, personality issues in possible conflict with presented content, or even presentation inexperience (such as moving around while speaking as others have mentioned). I fully understand, and others should as well, that these things are truly not important to the message, they are all not even secondary, but tertiary. My comments were about purpose and intent. My comments were about the fundamental underlying decisions that were made that will undoubtedly affect all future broadcasts from this “Team”.

The rehash accusations stem from the fact that you are calling yourselves "The Conspiracy Chicks". This title implies that you are going to actually take a conspirator stance against the mainstream corporate dogma and not utilize that same apologetic, catch phrase, terminology that they have agreed to. Defining the term is the first rule of propaganda. When you call what is happening in the gulf a “Spill”, as the main stream media has, then you are helping to promote a bold faced lie. The event in the gulf is in no way shape or form a “Spill”. They have coined the term “Spill” for this oil event in order to minimize its public perception as an ongoing and continual event. They want the public perception to be that this is completely an isolated, accidental, happenstance. Instead of confronting this lie, you used the same terminology. When speaking against the mainstream broadcasts you only highlighted that “others” had stated that implied wrongs were committed while you (The Conspiracy Chicks) remained a neutral party sitting on the fence. You related everything to what “Someone else” has stated instead of taking ownership of the conspiracy and presenting it as your own compilation. You began with what others had said and then ended it there, leaving the ATS reader alone in discovering what “Your” thoughts were on the topic.

You set this broadcast up completely as a journalistic news broadcast. You are the ones who chose this format and then you point the finger at us and say, “It was never meant to be a news broadcast.” Well if you don't want to be accused of presenting the news then don't completely copy and imitate a news broadcast. I don't think Springer would ever have made this false argumentative statement had he not be personally upset by critical comments. I sincerely apologize if I in any way contributed to making you ticked off enough to make such a flawed argument.

As for the inappropriate sexy comments, yes, even I was a little put off. But lets be realistic here. You are the ones that called yourselves “Chicks”. Obviously you did so for the negative sex related connotations that this word has. You did not call yourselves the “Conspiracy Researchers” or the “Conspiracy Women” or the “Conspiracy Mothers against Mad Media”. So, if people expect that you should show a little more leg in your broadcasts then you should not be offended. You are the ones calling yourselves the “Chicks”. I am not in this camp, but it unfortunately has be brought up by others so, it needed to be addressed.

In the end, if you want to “Deny Ignorance” then don't promote the lying terminology of the mass media. If you don't want to be called “The News” then don't copy their format. If you want more respect, then don't call yourselves the “Chicks”. And last, but not least, if you don't want to take a conspiratorial stand then don't call yourselves the “Conspiracy” chicks.

PS: I have never produced a video compilation yet (just raw stock), however, I have posted some of my photography work on my media page for viewing. i will post some video's soon, and I am now working on my video that I will post on AST about one certain topic when its finished (about a month i guess).

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Hot_Wings]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:58 PM
    link   
    reply to post by AshleyD

CONTENT.

This is currently being discussed. It appears a lot of the suggestions in this thread are split rather evenly. About half are saying focus more on member content and highlights. The other end of the spectrum is saying don't just review what members have already presented- be fresh.

Obviously, satisfying one group is going to leave the other unsatisfied as they are polar opposite suggestions. We can either highlight the top information on ATS and be met with 'rehash' accusations or we can attempt to bring fresh content only and be met with 'what about the members?' Which if we do, we're then met with 'Don't just read the threads to us- we already know what the members posted!' And the cycle continues.

So we're reviewing ways we can mix it up between 'fresh research' and 'member highlights' in an effort to please as many as possible even if we know we'll never be able to please everyone and are not going to exhaust ourselves trying.

Taking suggestions and reviewing ways to "mix it up" is thoughtful and a great idea. I think the best you can do is have a vision of what the two of you wish for the show/segment to be and present that as your own, individual and creative concept. It will all come together if you stick to what that vision is and the goals you've set.

Again, looking forward to the next installment.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join