It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Feminist Movement—Ruining The Image Of Men

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
another cultural difference with the circumcision topic.. in the US it has always been more accepted to have a boy circumsized..not just accepted but promoted to..where as here you have to specifically ask for it to be done as its not a normal matter of course in giving birth to a boy. Our son was born in the States and you wouldnt believe the people we had to fend off to keep him in one piece!! nurses doctors, even shrinks were called in to talk us into having it done.. for hygene reasons they claimed mainly, but most men i have known who havent had the proceedure done, have never had health issues over it, and really, its skin that is meant to be there..made that way by who/whatever engineered humans for a reason..and though i cant say its really a feminist issue at all, women, due to cultural indoctrination and social form taught often find uncircumsized men 'unnatural' and i have heard many a complaint from women on the topic of not being cut. women family members were actually upset i didnt have him done, adding no women would want to have sexual relations with him because of it! but that was over in the States, here, its more unnatural to have it done at all..
edited to add

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Full_Vision]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Full_Vision
another cultural difference with the circumcision topic.. in the US it has always been more accepted to have a boy circumsized..not just accepted but promoted to..where as here you have to specifically ask for it to be done as its not a normal matter of course in giving birth to a boy.

In the states today - you are asked.

It is also a class status thing. Poor children born at home would be natural.

If you had money to birth in a hospital - you wanted all the latest technology.

Culture has changed as there is now more leaning to be natural.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
As much as I hate to agree with Annee, circumcision is not a feminist issue, and it is far from normal.

They estimate that 70% of the global male population is uncircumcised.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.fathermag.com...

You can ignore the anti feminism parts in this article, as outlawing female genital mutilation is different than condoning male genital mutilation.

This is one area where we as men have to stand up to doctors and say no!

Doctors openly admit that the practice is continued for profit, and that should tell you a lot about the practice.

edit for spelling - 420

[edit on 19-6-2010 by peck420]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Thanks peck.

I just disagree that all doctors act on profit. Maybe its naive and I just want to believe there are still ethical doctors in the world.

At least the laws have been changed - it is not an automatic procedure. The parents have to make the choice.

But there are fathers making the choice too. With percentages so high - it can not be woman alone making the decision to circumcise.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I live in Canada, so i know the score when it comes to being cut. Girls here claim uncut is gross blah blah blah, but i still chose no to cut my son.

Im cut and it bugs me a lot. i don't like underwear, so my willy has been rubbing along denim for the last 30 years, and let me tell you... its not very sensitive anymore. what if this was the stone age and i needed to steal a mate. poor girls going to have to wait an hour till im done, where as if i was not cut, she might away with a shorter session.

Ironic ain't it, girls hate uncut, but it must save them a lot of time.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I would like to disagree that doctors do it for money too, but I have had a doctor (who delivered my children) tell me flat out that he recommends it because he makes more from the circumcision than he will from the delivery!

Far from scientific!

Tom - good work not getting him cut!

[edit on 19-6-2010 by peck420]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

Doctors openly admit that the practice is continued for profit, and that should tell you a lot about the practice.

Well, although I personally feel that the decision whether or not to be circumcised should be left up to the male in question, when he is old enough to make that decision, it actually does provide some medical benefit.

www1.voanews.com...

In two studies of about 5,500 HIV-negative males in Uganda, researchers found that circumcision reduced the infection rate of genital herpes by 35 percent, compared to men who were not circumcised. The research also demonstrated the procedure reduced the risk of human papillomavirus transmission by 28 percent.

Thomas Quinn of the U.S. National Institutes of Health led the research, which confirms other smaller studies.

Quinn says, because circumcision reduces the risk of HIV transmission, researchers hoped it might do the same for HPV and genital herpes. "You know, when the results were all in, we were pleasantly surprised that there was a significant reduction for both of those viruses," he said.

Researchers found that circumcision did not significantly reduce the risk of syphilis, another common venereal disease.

The tradition probably arose in the Jews because they were having some serious issues with STDs and some smart guy figured out if you did that it helped curb the spread and then told everyone "God" said to do it.

However, this is the modern age, and you can wrap your little man in a raincoat religiously rather than cut off his muffler, if you so choose. And because there really does seem to be some lack of sensitivity in those circumcised, I think it should, (And it should be obvious that this is so) be the owner of that little bit of flesh's choice, when he is old enough to make that decision.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

As much as that study claims to have found, they have excluded one very critical factor that can not be ignored.

Cleanliness!

The study was performed on a sample group from a country that one of the lowest levels of hygiene.

If you have a natural (my preferred term for uncut) penis it must be kept clean. If proper hygiene is not followed it can and will allow a whole host of problems to occur.

www.cirp.org...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

As per my earlier post, I agree. Just because something served a purpose at one time is no justification for keeping it running indefinitely.

Thats the problem with "argument to tradition," in general.

en.wikipedia.org...

Appeal to tradition, also known as proof from tradition,[1] appeal to common practice, argumentum ad antiquitatem, false induction, or the "is/ought" fallacy,[2] is a common logical fallacy in which a thesis is deemed correct on the basis that it correlates with some past or present tradition. The appeal takes the form of "this is right because we've always done it this way."[3]

An appeal to tradition essentially makes two assumptions:

* The old way of thinking was proven correct when introduced. In actuality this may be false — the tradition might be entirely based on incorrect grounds.
* The past justifications for the tradition are still valid at present. In cases where circumstances have changed, this assumption may be false.

In order to maintain a just society, we need to be constantly re-evaluating our traditions in light of newer information and technology. We supposedly are intelligent animals, and repeating behaviors mindlessly without considering their necessity seems to me to be the antithesis of intelligence.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Women deserve equal rights...

The only problem I have in society really with women/men is in the court systems.

Men used to take 0 responsibility so they made a law to rightfully protect women.

As they should have..

This is now being abused and dumbly enforced in courts...

I hear countless stories of wife cheats on husband so husband wants divorce and wife still gets children and alimony ?

Like what really ?

It's pretty much ok for women to cheat but if a man does it, he must pay for year and lose almost everything.

If a women cheats, she still gets half and the kids and the man loses almost everything.

THat is F'ed up and I dont' respect a single women who takes advantage of that.

That being said, both men and women do equally F*ed up things and neither deserves any negative treatment.

Back to op.

The changes in how men are viewed in society have come somewhat because of women in power and them being able to influence culture like men have done.

Some changes we need to just get used to .....

The whole men being more groomed is a good thing guys......we must admit that...

but there are just way to many individual specific things that would need to change for everything to be perfect.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Why are men always portrayed as dumb and immature in movies, and women as mature and sane? The opposite is usually true in real life.

How come on the Home Improvement sitcom, every time Tim Allen argues with his wife, he is always wrong? Why does the media promote that women are always right when arguing with men? Isn't that unfair?

How come feminists don't have a problem with the "women and children" first rule when the Titanic was sinking?

Check out this interview explaining why there is no "battle of the sexes" in France. I wish we were like them. We could learn a lot from them. They have a more natural symbiotic relationship between men and women.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Masculinity is constantly attacked by all forms of media and the public (even by other men). Men are usually depicted as dumb, aggressive, and overtly sexual, despite the fact that the majority of the greatest minds were and are possessed by men. Regardless, the media and the public have a tendency to side with women and all things feminine--no matter what, even if the truth tells them differently. What's more, when men object to their unfair treatment they're told to stop whining, because it's unbecoming for a man to complain. Ridiculous.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by ChickenPie]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sodakota

I'm old fashioned, I still enjoy men opening a door for me, and the polite conversation that follows. "Thank you and... You're welcome."

As a man, I'd love it if a woman opened a door for me once in a while.

Who would of thunk it?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChickenPie
As a man, I'd love it if a woman opened a door for me once in a while.

Who would of thunk it?

I think that would be considered oppression by modern Feminists. But remember not to hold it open yourself or you are insinuating that they are weak. In fact, just to be safe, hire a doorman!

Who pays for dinner? That's a tough one. If you don't offer to foot the bill, you are cheap. If you do, you are insinuating that she is dependent and can't take care of herself. If you arrange for a romantic evening, your motives will be questioned. It's kind of lose-lose-lose...

[edit on 28/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

ahh...but once you get married it's like, hey you pay for dinner, I'll pay for the electricity so the stove will cook it.....and then we'll use the rest of our money to pay the mortgage, the car payment, and all those other meddlesome bills that are making our lives meaningless and miserable!!!

most of the time when me and my husband eat out, I am the one slapping out the credit card......or paying the cash....
after all, we are married, it is all OUR MONEY!!!

at least it is untill we start sending it out to the the bank, electric company, car loan, ect....

by the time we get done with that, well, there isn't enough left to argue over who should do what with it....

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Edit: Never mind.

[edit on 28/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You reminded me of this passage in a poem.

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

SOURCE

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I've noticed these "women" tend to be obtuse, or slim-pickins. Whereas, they would be a poor choice.

That's great that you have independence and all, but don't let it go to your head. Because if aggravation leads to confrontation, poor physical abilities will, at minimum, teach you one of life's lessons: someone will get a hold of you.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Maybe it's time people stopped looking through their tiny keyholes at the world and looked at a bigger picture. This type of discussion is pointless. What kind of women and men are you referring to? What country do they live in? do they have religion? So many factors, so little brain space.

Honestly! Serious, liberating feminism has only been around for 50 years ( not including the waves and short spats of feminism that came before) and already the men are shouting conspiracy? Did you know that the classification of rape is different in every country around the world. Where I live all rape cases are handled by female police officers, even the male rape cases, because the male officers don't want to deal with it. Rapists walk free everyday. In London only 6% of the cases reported make it to court. The other 94% walk free to rape again. What about domestic abuse and the millions of single mothers out there, or has that dissapeared as well?

But that's all fine because women are oh so equal, aren't they? What fantasy land do you live in cause it's sounds really nice, can me and all my lady friends come live there?

I guess it must be nice to live in a white man's body and have the world on a plate as it has been throughout history. No man can stand up and say, all's fair, things are equal now...c'mon, they are NOT EQUAL. I don't need to show links and facts and statistics to prove my point because I live in the real world and see the real way that men treat women. My wish for the world would be to see a new wave of women who are strong and smart and can end the destructive path that MEN have set the world on. To bad their aren't that many around. The world would be a much better place.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
...off topic removed...
edit on 19-2-2012 by alien because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join