It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Feminist Movement—Ruining The Image Of Men

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
For those that are curious, "Male Feminist" is another word for Echo-Feminist. I think Urban Dictionary does a good job of defining what this word means:

1. echo-feminist

Defined as misandrist male who echos the gender-feminist anti-male myths and negative stereotyping of men agenda to either get laid or receive government contracts to find new ways to blame other men for women's plights. These echo-feminists while bashing men in their own way have the prestige, power and money to control the abilities and lives of other men; sounds a lot like being patriarchal or bullying.

Similar to actual echo the words are hollow and only mimics the source; there is no body or truth.

Example:
The man was describing his personal experience of being a male victim of female perpetrated domestic violence when the academic echo-feminist dismissed his experience as a male abuser in denial.

Urban Dictionary - Echo-Feminist

Quite a few of them here on ATS.

[edit on 11/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
reply to post by Annee

What's funny about threads like these is that many people forget that women are NOT a minority. A movement like Feminism treats women as though they are a minority that has been continually oppressed and restricted due to the actions of man. The truth is that inaction by women has played a large role in this.

Don't totally agree. Being 64 - I've had some experiences. Women today - even my daughters - are shocked at stories I tell them.

Although - - do agree only women can demand equality for themselves. If they don't stand up and fight for it - - no one else will.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edrick
reply to post by Annee

Please explain these responsiblities.

OOPS, your pregnant... I guess it's a good thing that you can CHOSE to abort the child.

OOPS, I made a girl pregnant... Sucks that I have no say in the matter anymore.

-Edrick

LOL - - Oh poor thing.

From the begining of time women have taken the brunt of unwanted pregnancy - - being thrown out on the streets and disowned because of dishonor - - - you expect empathy from me?

Men have divorced women for not producing a male heir.

Etc etc etc etc etc

And here is a thread blaming women once again.

I don't care.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

From the begining of time women have taken the brunt of unwanted pregnancy - - being thrown out on the streets and disowned because of dishonor - - - you expect empathy from me?

And men used to Die by the MILLIONS to keep you safe.

Men have divorced women for not producing a male heir.

Why Women Leave Men
by Willard F. Harley, Jr., Ph.D.
Reprinted and edited with the permission of New Man Magazine.

"I hurt all the time because I feel alone and abandoned."

"My husband is no longer my friend."

"The only time he pays attention to me is when he wants sex."

"He is never there for me when I need him the most."

"When he hurts my feelings he doesn't apologize."

"He lives his life as if we weren't married; he rarely considers me."

"We're like ships passing in the night, he goes his way and I go mine."

"My husband has become a stranger to me, I don't even know who he is anymore."

"He doesn't show any interest in me or what I do."

www.marriagebuilders.com...

I don't care.

I know you don't... THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

*I* on the other hand *DO CARE*

I care about the World that we are leaving our Descendants.... and It does not look FEASIBLE, let alone, Good.

There is a Hurricane barreling through the corridors of the Future, closing in on the present RAPIDLY.

I don't know if you have been *OBSERVING REALITY* for the past few years... but the *WORLD* is breaking apart under our FEET.

And *I* happen to CARE.

-Edrick

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

And men used to Die by the MILLIONS to keep you safe.

Enough with men died by the millions to keep me safe.

Wars are political. People don't start wars - - - Politicians do.

Men went off to war and left women to fend for themselves and raise families by themselves and deal with every day life and tradgedies by themselves.

Were women ever asked what they wanted? NO

Were women ever asked if they'd prefer to go to war or stay home and take care of everything alone? NO

OH - - but we should be so honored that our men left us because some politician needed to conquer something.

Women got their independence because they had no choice. Women went to work in factories and every where else. They earned their paychecks and paid the bills. They learned indpendence because of man. And they liked it. Then man comes home and thinks he should be in charge. Why should he be in charge? Screw that.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Enough with men died by the millions to keep me safe.

Wars are political. People don't start wars - - - Politicians do.

Enough with women were oppressed by evil men once.

Wars ARE Political, But you blame it on Men, as opposed to Evil people.

You claim that the bad situation of women was due to men...

But you claim that some "Genderless force" is responsible for sending men to their Deaths, and not women.

Seriously.... Just black and white with you, isn't it?

Men went off to war and left women to fend for themselves and raise families by themselves and deal with every day life and tradgedies by themselves.

Fend for Themselves?

You Arrogant........

Men were Fending for themselves against *EXPLOSIVE MUNITIONS*... what were you fending for yourself against?

Having to Earn Money?

Get Over Yourself.

Were women ever asked what they wanted? NO

Were MEN ever asked what they wanted?

Were women ever asked if they'd prefer to go to war or stay home and take care of everything alone? NO

Some did anyways...

But you would rather go to war, and defend your country and family, than support them with attention and Labor?

I must say that I am impressed.

OH - - but we should be so honored that our men left us because some politician needed to conquer something.

You should be honoring the ones who are not conscripted... but volunteer to defend their country willingly, in addition to those who were forced.

Not disgracing them because the politicians lied to them, or threatened them with Jailtime if they did not comply.

Women got their independence because they had no choice.

So, independence was Forced upon them, you say?

Because the Men were rounded up by the "Elite" and sent to die.

And you feel Raw over them leaving you, don't you?

Despite that the choice was never theirs.

Women went to work in factories and every where else. They earned their paychecks and paid the bills. They learned indpendence because of man. And they liked it.

You are welcome, I suppose.

Then man comes home and thinks he should be in charge. Why should he be in charge? Screw that.

"The Man Comes Home"

Really?

Just a faceless gender strolls up?

Everything with a penis is responsible for your suffering?

This is getting quite sad, actually.

-Edrick

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Edrick]

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Edrick]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
No arguments here about women demonizing me personally. I have an awesome Christian wife who really does respect me. Years ago in my bar trolling days, I respected myself and carried that attitude with me, I never had problems with most girls treating me badly. They could sense that level of respect I had for myself, and treated me as such. The ones who didn't I picked up on, or they detected I would be as emotionally strong as they would, so we would not attract and steer clear of each other. The one's I did date out of curiosity, ended quickly. I do agree that the perception of men as idiots on television commercials might be a contributing factor to men feeling this way, or maybe that women get all the advantages in many of everyday life situations. For you single guys out there, put your own feelings first, in a non selfish definition. You don't have to compromise or settle for a woman who treats you badly, and the same goes for the ladies out there. Its certainly better to be alone for the right reasons than to stay in a bad relationship for the wrong ones. If you make a baby together or get married, that's where the true misery starts. Don't be a jerk, even though a lot of girls are attracted to guys who make them earn that respect, and if you throw yourself all over them, they will lose respect for you very quickly and treat you like the plague. Its good to be playful and confident, not demeaning and cocky. God created us as a compliment to one another and to cooperate together.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jymmyjaymes
No arguments here about women demonizing me personally. I have an awesome Christian wife who really does respect me.

And I have an awesome ex-Mormon (why religion matters I do not know) husband who is 21 years my junior.

And NO - - he is not demasculinized. I like strong men. I do not like tall model types. I am attracted to solid on the ground dudes with beards and long hair.

So what.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

These threads crack me up. I just love men trying to explain feminism.

That was an incredibly sexist and condecending statement. Feminism is not a female only mindset, many men believe in equality. Of course as i stated earlier, the fact it is called feminism suggests a gender bias in and of itself. At the start of the feminist movement there were men who took part and supported the cause, i would think someone of your age would know that. The fact you seem to denigrate men who support and try to explain feminism to others shows a very clear sexist nature.

Maybe there should be a joint progressive movement, equalism, where men and women join forces to fight for true equality without gender bias. It's nice to see some women in this thread who acknowledge some of the hypocrisies within the modern feminist movement.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
As a woman I can understand a woman wanting to have the same rights as men. wanting to be paid the same as a man as well. But The whole feminist movement has destroyed chivalry and men being gentlemen because woman burp like men do and they also get mad most the time when a man opens a door for them. because they can do it themselves. So it doesn’t give a man a chance to be a gentlemen yet woman want men to prove themselves to them but not prove themselves in a way to be chivalrous , but instead its more of do you have the money or strength to carry me.

If you put a 5 year old girl and a 5 year old boy next to each other, showed them a card one side with pink and one side with red and asked them to choose what color they liked, more times then not the girl would choose pink because its soft, pretty, and girly, the boy will pick red, because its not soft and pretty, but because its strong in color and symbolizes something opposite of the soft and girlish.

As a woman I know that I can be strong and do SOME things a male can do, but in lack of better words I know my limits when it comes to doing a males job. There are certain things a male and female can do as an equal and just some things that are left off with the sex knowing their "role" in certain situations.

But in this day and age feminine and masculine roles should be up to each individual.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
This is a great thread I actually read it from beginning to end, males and females should argue about this stuff more often, from time to time, especially in this impersonal emotional typing construct. And Edrick is the coolest rabbit ever way better then bugs bunny.

Thats all I wanted to say.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I don't understand how people can take their own personal lives, and say this is happening generallly. YOUR personal life, is YOUR personal life. The OP is making a general statement about what he has observed. Some of you are making a personal statement, based on the lives you live.
So, you come here stating, that what the OP is saying is hogwash...because your wife isn't like that, or because you don't feel emasculated by your female friends, etc. I say, step out of YOUR personal life, and take a very hard look around you. What the OP is addressing, is hugely an impact of the media. Look at television, look at music...tell me what do you see?

Pop culture is mostly, entirely feminine today. How it became that way, I don't know. Even gangsta-rappers wear tight clothing, and don the metro-sexual look. The influecne stems down to many kids...teens and young adults who follow fashion, style and everything else that tells them what they should be doing. The feminist movement is strong...and it has influenced society in both positive and negative ways.

People who say that women don't rule the world are blind! Women, out-number men in population, they also out-number men when it comes to equal-opportunity. I work in marketing at a tertiary institute, and have studied marketing and advertising and current culture extensively and I can say, without any doubt in my mind, that women are the foundation for this current society. Most products availabe today are geared toward the female sex. Most advertising today, highlights and shows-off the female sex. From what I've observed, most of the money exchanged in society for pop culture...is money that belong to women. If you do not see this, then you're not paying close enough attention. I don't know if you know this or not, but business men, whether they're bankers, or own oil companies have only one interest...and that's money! If, there was any way that they could stroke the egos of the people that supply them with the most money...what do you think they'd do?

This is not about caring, or equal-right...this is about MONEY! It's business as usual. The average person would NOT recognize this. A trained eye would!

I wish I saw this thread earlier on, so that I can post this on the very first page, so people can see it...but, at 16 or so pages...this post is going to get lossed.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by sdrawkcabII]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Many of our worries today reflect how much better we want to be, not how much better we used to be. Take the issue of working mothers. Families in which mothers spend as much time earning a living as they do raising children are nothing new. They were the norm throughout most of the last two millennia. in the 19th century, married women in the United States began a withdrawal from the workforce, but for most families this was made possible only by sending their children out to work instead. When child labor was abolished, married women began reentering the workforce in ever larger numbers. For a few decades, the decline in child Labor was greater than the growth of women's employment. The result was an aberration: the malebreadwinner family. In the 1920s, for the first time a bare majority of American children grew up in families where the husband provided all the income, the wife stayed home full-time, and they and their siblings went to school instead of work. During the 1950s, almost two thirds of children grew up in such families, an all-time high. Yet that same decade saw an acceleration of workforce participation by wives and mothers that soon made the dual-earner family the norm, a trend not likely to be reversed in the next century. What's new is not that women make half their families' living, but that for the first time they have substantial control over their own income, along with the social freedom to remain single or to leave an unsatisfactory marriage. Also new is the declining proportion of their lives that people devote to rearing children, both because they have fewer kids and because they are living longer. Until about 1940, the typical marriage was broken by the death of one partner within a few years after the last child left home. Today, couples can look forward to spending more than two decades together after the children leave. The growing length of time partners spend with only each other for company has made many individuals less willing to put up with an unhappy marriage, while women's economic independence makes it less essential for them to do so. It is no wonder that divorce has risen steadily since 1900. Disregarding a spurt in 1946, a dip in the 1950s and another peak around 1980, the divorce rate is just where you'd expect to find it, based on the rate of increase from 1900 to 1950. Today, 40 percent of all marriages will end in divorce before a couple's 40th anniversary. Yet despite this high divorce rate, expanded life expectancies mean that more couples are reaching that anniversary than ever before. Families and individuals in contemporary America have more life choices than in the past That makes it easier for some to consider dangerous or unpopular options. But it also makes success easier for many families that never would have had a chance before-interracial, gay or lesbian, and single-mother families, for example. And it expands horizons for most families.
www.stephaniecoontz.com...

so....I guess that magical time you are talking about when women weren't working to earn an income, to help the family, well....that was because they were sending their kids out to into the workforce instead???

[edit on 12-6-2010 by dawnstar]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by sdrawkcabII
I don't understand how people can take their own personal lives, and say this is happening generallly. YOUR personal life, is YOUR personal life. The OP is making a general statement about what he has observed. Some of you are making a personal statement, based on the lives you live.
So, you come here stating, that what the OP is saying is hogwash...because your wife isn't like that, or because you don't feel emasculated by your female friends, etc. I say, step out of YOUR personal life, and take a very hard look around you. What the OP is addressing, is hugely an impact of the media. Look at television, look at music...tell me what do you see?

It's important to see the big picture, but it's also important to pay attention to what is happening within your own "sphere". I'm sure it's not just me, although it seems that way at times, but I see a real lack of original thought in every day life. Some people could have something happen directly in front of them and if they are told it happened different they'd change their story. It comes down to your point about being influenced by outside factors. You can see it all around, as you said, but most can't sort through the "crap" and recognize it for what it is. If people are so easily led on a personal level it's no wonder the media is such a powerful influence.

If everyone picks up a "cause", of which they have no real personal experience or knowledge, it's kind of hypocritical isn't it? Unfortunately you see that happen all the time. Special interest groups riding on an upswelling of uninformed "experts". The feeling of belonging to a group and gaining an identity is the payoff I guess. For some it's more fun than actually becoming well versed in the agenda, which might actually involve some work.

A bit off the thread topic. Carry on Edrick

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

reply to post by SearchLightsInc

In that one line you just admitted women were oppressed.

By WHOM though?

By Whom?

Check your quote: Thanks to men for *ALLOWING* feminism to proceed.

There's your answer.

If Im going to be labeled a Slave Owner, and Oppressor JUST BECAUSE I HAVE A PENIS...

You're not an oppressor. I don't think men have the power any longer to oppress women. That's why some of them are so pissed.
Today's oppression of women (what's left of it) is just the scattered remnants of a bygone era. It will work itself out eventually because while some men (like you, apparently) still WISH to hold onto it, women are too powerful to allow it to continue. And many men (male feminists) don't want it to continue, either. So the few who do wish for female oppression are just grasping at straws, holding onto the last remnants of a time when men were the boss and women were their servants, and they're hoping something happens to turn it around. No single man can "take credit" OR be blamed for oppressing women anymore. They don't have the power.

So don't worry. You do not oppress women and you aren't a slave owner.

Originally posted by Annee
I just love men trying to explain feminism.

It's fun isn't it?
(See my paragraph to ImaginaryReality1984 about this below)

OOPS, your pregnant... I guess it's a good thing that you can CHOSE to abort the child.

OOPS, I made a girl pregnant... Sucks that I have no say in the matter anymore.

More like:
Oops! I'm pregnant. I have a choice to make.
Oops! you're not pregnant.

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

1. echo-feminist

Defined as misandrist male who echos the gender-feminist anti-male myths and negative stereotyping of men ...

I find it interesting that some people can't separate the idea of feminism from "anti-male" or the hatred of men. I'm a VERY strong female feminist and I ADORE men! I'm the LAST person anyone would call anti-male. My husband is also a feminist and he has no hatred for his own gender, whatsoever.

People can support one thing without having disdain for its opposite. I love the desert, but I'm also very fond of the mountains. I could give you a hundred examples. I find it curious that some people think that to love, respect and admire the female gender means that you hate men... Can you explain that. Do YOU hate the opposite of everything you love?

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
The fact you seem to denigrate men who support and try to explain feminism to others shows a very clear sexist nature.

I just want to say that it's VERY hard to refrain from being condescending in the face of some of the ignorant statements being made about men and women in this thread. I have had to bite my ... fingers in order to remain above board, but it's VERY difficult. So, I can't come down too hard on people for not being able to hold it sometimes. I have typed some similar remarks and on second thought, backspaced over them. It's just REALLY hard. So, maybe try to have some understanding of that. I think you have what it takes to understand that women might feel a need to lash out verbally, especially in the face of the ignorance and machismo we're seeing here on occasion. I guess I want to ask for your understanding, knowing that you don't agree. Realize that there's no shortage of sexist remarks coming from certain men here. Where's your criticism of those?

Maybe there should be a joint progressive movement, equalism, where men and women join forces to fight for true equality without gender bias.

I agree. But this "equalism" movement does exist. The word feminism is used by people who hate men AND by people who want equality. I use it to describe the latter. The former is a dying movement. It had its time. It was what women needed to BREAK the bonds. But now, we're settling into the real meat of equality.

[edit on 6/12/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

That was an incredibly sexist and condecending statement. Feminism is not a female only mindset, many men believe in equality.

Of course they do - - like my own wonderful husband.

But that is not what these threads are about - now is it?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaleesi

As a woman I can understand a woman wanting to have the same rights as men. wanting to be paid the same as a man as well. But The whole feminist movement has destroyed chivalry and men being gentlemen because woman burp like men do and they also get mad most the time when a man opens a door for them. because they can do it themselves. So it doesn’t give a man a chance to be a gentlemen yet woman want men to prove themselves to them but not prove themselves in a way to be chivalrous , but instead its more of do you have the money or strength to carry me.

That is not Feminism. That is a purposely personal over-the-top view of Feminism.

Feminism is about equality: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.

Empowerment is about the right to be who you want to be. It does not mean "power over someone else".

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You're not an oppressor. I don't think men have the power any longer to oppress women. That's why some of them are so pissed. Today's oppression of women (what's left of it) is just the scattered remnants of a bygone era. It will work itself out eventually because while some men (like you, apparently) still WISH to hold onto it, women are too powerful to allow it to continue. And many men (male feminists) don't want it to continue, either. So the few who do wish for female oppression are just grasping at straws, holding onto the last remnants of a time when men were the boss and women were their servants, and they're hoping something happens to turn it around. No single man can "take credit" OR be blamed for oppressing women anymore. They don't have the power.

Delusional much?

I'm a VERY strong female feminist and I ADORE men!

You love the image you have created for males. Because you keep a puppydog in the corner and pet him occasionally doesn't mean you love it.

I just want to say that it's VERY hard to refrain from being condescending in the face of some of the ignorant statements being made about men and women in this thread.

Don't worry, that statement was very condescending. For the future, just try and sound intelligent.

My husband is also a feminist and he has no hatred for his own gender, whatsoever.

I see you have thoroughly insulated yourself from all men. Congrats!

A feminist with a feminist husband huh? It wouldn't take a genius to see the power dynamic there. It also wouldnt take a psychologist to know your husband does, in fact, hate himself and you are, obviously, narcissistic.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
ummm....the posts just keep getting better.....
isn't it just as oppressive for a mother to sit and watch her husband hold down two job, be away from his kids from sunrise to sunset, and well, her place is in the home, caring for home and kids?? isn't it just as oppressive to hold down her opportunities, her earning potential......
I do agree with the guys, the oppression is going to both the guys and the ladies. the difference is, men have been kind of conned into accepting it, because, well, they get to be oppressors, rulers also!!! and many seem to want the right to rule, are working hard to hold it seemingly blind as to just how much it is being used to oppress them!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I see there is a major delusion being presented here - by some.

ANYONE - male or female who's intent is to Power Over Another human being is simply a bully.

Empowered women are NOT attracted to weak men. In fact it is usually the opposite.

Empowerment is about self-realization. Being fully the individual you choose to be.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join