It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reuters Admits To Photo Manipulation Concerning the Flotilla Incident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This is very interesting. It seems a lot of propaganda is being exposed from both sides.

The British-based Reuters news agency has been stung for the second time by charges that it edited politically sensitive photos in a way that casts Israel in a bad light. But this time Reuters claims it wasn’t at fault.

The news agency reacted to questions raised by an American blogger who showed that Reuters' photo service edited out knives and blood traces from pictures taken aboard the activist ship Mavi Marmara during a clash with Israeli commandos last week. Nine people were killed and scores were injured in the clash.

FULL ARTICLE HERE.

Here is a side by side of the photo that was cropped and released vs. the original uncropped photo depicting an activist holding a knife.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89ec5cb94634.jpg[/atsimg]

In one photo, an Israeli commando is shown lying on the deck of the ship, surrounded by activists. The uncut photo released by IHH shows the hand of an unidentified activist holding a knife. But in the Reuters photo, the hand is visible but the knife has been edited out.

“That’s a very interesting way to crop the photo. Most people would consider that knife an important part of the context. There was a huge controversy over whether the activists were armed. Cropping out a knife, in a picture showing a soldier who’s apparently been stabbed, seems like a very odd editorial decision. Unless someone was trying to hide it,” the blog stated.

Just wanted to share. I'm not terribly interested in debating the issue here since I haven't fully made up my mind. But I do indeed feel strongly about media bias and manipulation. One can say the commandos shouldn't have been there in the first place or they can say the flotilla had no business trying to interfere with the blockade. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But this manipulation of the image does raise some eyebrows for me.

Previous incident from Reuters:

This is the second time Reuters has been accused of manipulating photos. In 2006 a Reuters photographer, Adnan Hajj, doctored several photos of the destruction caused by Israel's bombing of Beirut. In one he added smoke to a panoramic picture of South Beirut to make the damage look more severe than it was. In a second photo, he showed a woman whose home had supposedly been destroyed in the same raid, but an investigation revealed that the woman's house had been destroyed prior to the Israeli strike.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Faux news is reaching for straws here.

All reuters did was Zoom in on the commando to enlarge him and put him in the view center frame. They cropped the whole photo. It is not like they were trying to crop just the knife out.

The world is aware there were knives onboard. Come on any sensible person knows a large ship WILL have knives onboard especially if they have a full service galley.

-Kdial1

[edit on 8-6-2010 by kdial1]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This is very interesting. At first glance, I figured this wasn't really a big deal and it was just a crop of convenience. However, at second glance I realized it isn't just a normal crop - the image has actually been enlarged and then cropped, so this wasn't merely a matter of composition or simple size but rather suggests more of an intentional intent to hide something.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
look at the long hair hippie wearing flip-flops on an deep sea boat ride..

that was more than likely going to get boarded by some pretty rough dudes..

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Hey, Guys. Thanks for the feedback.

kdial1- I agree. I originally felt the 'weapons' on board would go without saying. For instance, anyone could come into my home right now and accuse me having 'weapons.' Steak knives, screw drivers, scissors, etc.

So I do see where you're coming from. However, I feel it's more than a matter of simply having weapons on the ship (which of course would be obvious). In this instance, it's the possibility of an activist holding a knife over an obviously injured commando... but having that cropped out of the photo that was released.

Hope that helps clarify.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The more I think about this one, the more I am convinced I would have cropped the image differently if I was applying a compositional crop for that article. Like AshleyD pointed out the two most important aspects of that photo and the story have to do with the relationship between the injured commando and the activist holding the knife. These are the parts of the photograph that communicate a relevant story, much more so then the flip flops on the top left hand corner which would have been more appropriate for the context of the photo for that to have been cropped out.

While I can see both sides, it is certainly a curiosity that they just so happened to conveniently crop out such a significant detail.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I'm looking at the injury, myself. It's low, and it's a haphazard slash that's shredded pants more than it's done damage. Yeah, they had 'weapons'- I have a buttload of 'weapons', too- scissors, screwdrivers, knives, some weird cutty hacky thing for gourmet food I havent really used....

And to be honest, If I had to defend myself against someone, I'd probably be just as haphazard.

Because for the IDF to say they (the activists) were prepared to be an attacking force, this picture speaks volumes.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by wylekat]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Already posted:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Can I have a Jr. Mod badge now?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I think this is good news IMO. Think about it. the media is coming clean about some blatant misinformation VIA photos painting a different picture. With Israel releasing that fake tape and now this. I am completely convinced both sides of this conflict have to rethink their roles.

People are waking up to both sides of the deception.

Its not about who was right, or who was wrong, but rather what is right, and what is wrong.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

No. Junior mods understand that one topic is allowed in the Breaking Alternative News forum and one other forum.
It's one of the few exceptions to allowing two threads on the same topic.

You have much to learn, Grasshoppah.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well, we can look at it like this...that activist could have sliced that Israeli up into oblivion while he lied helplessly on the ground, however, he did not. Israeli commandos executed people shot people in the back and in the back of the head close range...So whatever if the knife was cropped, activists dies Israelis didn't if it was their intention like I said that Israeli could have been gutted.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I would just like to point out that the knife in question here is not a galley or kitchen knife. Look at it. Thats a combat knife. It clearly explains why it was cropped out.

I have knives at home. Some are in my untensil drawer, some in a butcher block, others hang on the wall, and a couple that arent for display or daily use.

I dont agree with the way they cropped the photo, but I understand that they did it to stir the emotions that they were trying to convey. In that, flipflop wearing aid workers are more likely to win the hearts of the people than a combat armed member of the crew.

Still, they could have easily put a spin on it showing both sides of the story. These were afterall well armed, military trained commandos versus civlian aid workers.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheresthetruth

I dont agree with the way they cropped the photo, but I understand that they did it to stir the emotions that they were trying to convey. In that, flipflop wearing aid workers are more likely to win the hearts of the people than a combat armed member of the crew.

I totally agree with that, I understand why they altered the elements in the photo so it said a thousand different words then what it could have, as it reminds me all too much of numerous photos kids crop incriminating objects out of these days before posting them up on the internet. (case in point, under age kids removing beer cans from social networking sites their parents might have access too.)

No matter how you write it, the media was clearly manipulating the evidence to tell the story they wanted to tell, based on who their audience is. That in itself isn't so harmful, so long as the audience realizes what is happening and doesn't just let the wool be pulled over their eyes as they are told what to think.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by anothersilentobserver]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Reuters has now gone down the same disreputable path as NBC, Connie "gas tank explosion" Chung, Dan “military records” Rather, and CBS. Even The National Enquirer has a better reputation than these. Haa Ha haah ha ha, Reuters Rooters, news from the sewer.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

I would just like to point out that the knife in question here is not a galley or kitchen knife. Look at it. Thats a combat knife. It clearly explains why it was cropped out.

Look how this person is holding it. Lightly, by the handle. *puts on Sherlock Holmes hat* If this knife was the property of the person holding it in a combat/ defense situation, the grip is COMPLETELY wrong. A knife in combat is held a certain way for maximum damage AND to keep it from being taken away- the way this one is being held does not suggest that.

I therefore submit this is actually the commando's knife, taken from him and being held by someone inexperienced in hand to hand combat past maybe a bar room brawl.

Here's a website on the internet where you can actually BUY an Israeli commando knife.
It looks similar to me

*takes off Holmes hat*

[edit on 9-6-2010 by wylekat]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdial1
The world is aware there were knives onboard. Come on any sensible person knows a large ship WILL have knives onboard especially if they have a full service galley.

-Kdial1

[edit on 8-6-2010 by kdial1]

Umm...I downloaded cropped and zoomed th pic to confirm, you should do the same...

That aint no "Galley" knife. Short rubber formed grip, hand guard to prevent the hand from sliding from handle to blade when stabbing, serated reverse edge, darkened tempered steel...that is a commando/military knife and is not made for slicing tomatoes.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
It works both ways, the IDF is releasing fake footage of the Flotilla Activists as well...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Apparently they can walk through solid metal.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by twitchy]

new topics

top topics

join