It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boycott BP? Don't bother

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Boycott BP? Don't bother

www.newsweek.com

Drive right on by the BP station and pull up to the pumps from Exxon, the company responsible for the Exxon Valdez oil spill of 1989 and, more recently, one of the biggest corporate funders of the movement to tar the science of climate change. Exxon also managed to reduce the $5 billion in punitive damages awarded by an Anchorage jury for the Valdez disaster to $507.5 million; the Valdez fishermen and other victims have still not been made whole.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The article goes on to list how each and everyone of the oil companies are culpable for some major disaster in which they still haven't made restitution....

Therefore, the only real boycott would be a boycott on all oil... but THAT's not going to happen anytime soon... oil is the foundation for almost everything that gets done in our society today.

But go ahead... boycott BP.... give your money to these other scoundrels instead...

www.newsweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
But go ahead... boycott BP.... give your money to these other scoundrels instead...

But if you buy Citgo, you're not feeding the Seven Sisters.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Yer right...

yer feeding Chavez instead....

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Come to think of it, Chavez does not seem like such a bad guy after all. It seems that whatever beef he had with the US is just a big misunderstanding that can be worked out with diplomacy.

All he ever did was cozy up to leaders who were not in the US' good graces just to spite the US. Chavez is not a terrorist. He never harmed anybody on US soil.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Boycott BP anyway. and yeah bike to work if you can as well, sure...but the idea that this company's reckless disregard for safety is somehow minimized by the fact that the whole industry sucks is a pretty weak argument IMO. And yeah, I'd shop at Citgo instead, I always admired the "smell of brimstone" comment Chavez made at the UN after Bush's speech. He gets my business just for that!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Hess seems to still be "clean"...

www.terrorfreeoil.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Im still holding onto the hope that BP is going to 'stay the course'

and finish this thing the right way...

well.. as right as can be anyway

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Yer right...
yer feeding Chavez instead....

When was the last time he screwed you over? Aside from the price of gas, of course.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I boycott oil pretty darn good- I sold my car, walk everywhere, and bike/ take the bus everywhere else. I carpool with friends. I try (and I am failing this summer) to keep my power consumption to a minimum.

It's not much, but it's something......

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hi!

A great thread.

When BP was BP (and hadn't bought out the US suppliers) they were the most arrogant, ruthless company I had ever encountered (I worked for their Oil, Exploration and Finance groups) .

Sure everyone in the UK was desparate to add their logo to their presentation packs but they paid... cut to the bone, slow payments (that nearly bankrupt some small companies... so much so that the UK government had to bring in legislation to (try and protect smaller copmanies) and as soon as they had wrung a supplier dry they moved on to the next...

But then it became worse. The combination of UK and US management. The worst of two evils I'm afraid....

Little to add apart from background.

Peace!

top topics

join