It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If "Organized" Religious Institutions Are Anti-Ego, then ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I'm beginning to feel betrayed by both religion and science....

I think i had one of those "eureka" moments.
Please Feel FREE to question the logic and ponder over a few of the questions i share, of which i also ponder ...

Please take the time to review the definitions of the three divisions of the psyche in the psychoanalytic theory.

Main Entry: ego
Pronunciation: \ˈē-(ˌ)gō also ˈe-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural egos
Etymology: New Latin, from Latin, I — more at I
Date: 1789
1 : the self especially as contrasted with another self or the world
2 a : EGOTISM 2 b : SELF-ESTEEM 1
3 : the one of the three divisions of the psyche in psychoanalytic theory that serves as the organized conscious mediator between the person and reality especially by functioning both in the perception of and adaptation to reality — compare ID, SUPEREGO
— ego•less adjective

Main Entry: su•per•ego
Pronunciation: \ˌsü-pər-ˈē-(ˌ)gō also -ˈe-(ˌ)gō\
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, translation of German Über-ich, from über over + ich I
Date: 1919
: the one of the three divisions of the psyche in psychoanalytic theory that is only partly conscious, represents internalization of parental conscience and the rules of society, and functions to reward and punish through a system of moral attitudes, conscience, and a sense of guilt — compare EGO, ID

Etymology: New Latin, from Latin, it
Date: 1924
: the one of the three divisions of the psyche in psychoanalytic theory that is completely unconscious and is the source of psychic energy derived from instinctual needs and drives — compare EGO, SUPEREGO

EGO =
organized conscious mediator
functioning both in the perception of and adaptation to reality

So, if you are anti-ego you are not in favor of which of the following:
-organization/ anti-chaos/ anti-anarchy
-LIFE, consciousness, Self Awareness
-mediator, mediation (thinking)
-functioning perception
-adaptation to reality

Pope Benedict XVI,
would you prefer "your flock" be unorganized chaotic anti-consciousness inanimate unthinking broken non-perceptivity incapable of adaptation to reality?

Why do you hate the EGO???
Self hater?

SUPER EGO =

Internalization of parental conscience
Rules of society
Functions to reward and punish through a system of moral attitudes, conscience, and a sense of guilt.

ID =

completely unconscious
Source of psychic energies
Derived from instinctual needs & drives, aka dna

And this is where I differ in my personal opinion from something of the accepted psychoanalytic theories' norms:
They call it: psychoanalytic theory

Why is it accepted theory that the ID, which is what comes from DNA, must be COMPLETLEY UNCONSCIOUS???

ANOTHER THING: (side thought)

EGO was discovered in 1789
SUPER EGO was discovered in 1919
AND ID was discovered in 1924

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Thanks,
E.T.

Pre-emptive rebuttal:
a short poem:
If you can find flawed logic in my interpretation
Then please put the op statement in a quotation

If you can find flawed logic in my presentation
Then please feel free to attack it’s foundation
With factual truisms and verifiable information

If you cannot dispute or refute the op translation …
Are you sure you’re not an agent of misinformation?

firefighters cannot forget and we shall always remember
what happened within us because of the 11th of september

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Blah, bla blah
Another Anti-Christian Thread.
Nothing new here folks.
Move along.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
Blah, bla blah
Another Anti-Christian Thread.
Nothing new here folks.
Move along.

WOW! what insight this one offers us.

thank you so much for putting into a perspective everyone can understand.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

The Ego Super-Ego and Id have never been discovered.

Only theorized...

Jaden

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

The Ego Super-Ego and Id have never been discovered.

Only theorized...

Jaden

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

i suppose you are right. I guess a more appropriate statement is when they were "labeled".

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

sure they have.
if they had not, then we would not be having this thread.

just having a name means something has been identified.
even if it is something that doesn't really *exist* in whatever way matters most to YOU the reader...it has still BECOME by receiving a name.

thereafter, it exists by virtue of its being identified.

for example, Snow White.
we can all generally agree that the lovely lady is nothing more than a literary invention created as entertainment, and perhaps a bit of moral education, for children.

YET from the moment the story was first told, whether just out loud or committed to paper with ink...Snow White existed.

Snow White still exists.

yet she is as intangible as my id, ego, and super-ego while at the same time being very familiar to me and very well known.
i do not mistake Snow White for Cinderella. I know her that well.

and i know myself better.

perhaps you have not found or identified (id) your id and his companions...but that only means you personally have not discovered your own, for yourself.

it doesn't have any bearing on any one else, whatsoever.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure that religion emphasizes group dynamics over individualism hence the anti-ego moniker. They mean the ego as in the sense of pride, arrogance or narcissism. Remember that many Christians believe we have to give up the self, or even "crucify" the self and follow Christ. I think that explains why they might consider themselves anti-ego, they mean in the colloquial sense and not the academic one.

Religion is meant to bind us humans together but unfortunately it does just as well if not better at keeping us fighting each other.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

I'm pretty sure that religion emphasizes group dynamics over individualism hence the anti-ego moniker. They mean the ego as in the sense of pride, arrogance or narcissism.

are pride, arragance, and narcissism always and forever only negative qualities, tools that have no practical applications for individuals, but are acceptable behaviors for religious based Super-Egos (governments)?

if these qualities are not intended for free thinking individuals, then why do organized religions either passivley/pacifistically standby, or pander jargon that supports the super-egos' that do participate in pride, arrogance, and narcissism?

Not that i'm dissagreeing with you, i'm just following the logic you presented to the next question i guess.

Remember that many Christians believe we have to give up the self, or even "crucify" the self and follow Christ. I think that explains why they might consider themselves anti-ego, they mean in the colloquial sense and not the academic one.

either way, where do they expect my ego to go after i get rid of it, rather than deal with it internally, instead of projecting it outward onto a shared reality, a shared environment, and dealing with it out here in other species' homes as well? Whay do organised religions do so many things in favor of either me getting rid of me, or allowing them to get rid of me? me = ego in this case.

Religion is meant to bind us humans together but unfortunately it does just as well if not better at keeping us fighting each other.

it's this brand of thinking i can appreciate.

so, if we can get the ego to "abandon" the concepts of looking only at best case scenarios or worst case scenarios ....

and get the ego to agree that perhaps the best worst case scenario and the worst best case scenario might offer us more truth than only seeing the yin and yang of it, the black and white of it.

just some thoughts,
thanks for sharing,
E.T.

top topics

join