It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Heart have a Brain??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Hi,

I know that might sound wierd but hear me out.

You have heard the phrases:
Think with your heart and not your mind
He was kind hearted
He was brave hearted
My heart is telling me this and my brain is telling me that
I think she/he is nice but my heart isn't with him
Put your heart into it

Where did all these phrases come from? If we can actually think with our heart then surely it means it has some form of intelligence?? It has the most feeling then any other part of the body apart from the brain so if it can feel emotion is it intelligent?

If you have been in love why does your heart feel so happy? why not your elbow? or your left leg?

If you have fallen out of love or lost a loved one why does your heart feel like its falling out of your body almost as soon as the words of the loss are spoken to you?? I don't want to speak for everyone but my Heart is the first thing to react in these situations. The concious brain afterwards.

I know there is a chakra of the heart but does the heart actually have some form of intelligence??

what do you all think??

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
i can relait to the love feeling

but its probly just the blood pressure or nervouse system affecting it

when people say there kind hearted they dont mean it literaly..

the brain is connected to the heart ..the heart just reacts to it

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I say "go to hell" and "god damn it" at times, but it does not mean that I believe in either of them. It's just like a common phrase that you say without considering its origons.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Historically, the heart was considered the seat of emotion in the body, and the brain the seat of logic and intelligence. We since have figured that one hemisphere of the brain was the seat of logic and intelligence, and the other hemisphere is the seat of emotion. Emotion tends not to be logical or reasonable, and is a different kind of thought pattern. Therefore, to "Think with your heart" would mean to pay attention to emotion rather than stark logic. Sometimes this can be beneficial. Sometimes it isn't.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
thanks for the replies.

It was a thought that was wondering through my brain so I thought I would post it.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
in my view your heart is your soul.
that is where your soul, the essence of you is.

the bit that always tells u right from wrong
sadly our brain gets in the way more often thatn not

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   

This should be be in the Jokes,Puns, and Pranks thread in Below Top Secret.

similar piece but more of them

examples from link above:
- Why do bullies always ask "what?s your problem" when they're obviously
not going to solve it?
- Why do dogs sniff other dog's bottoms to say hello, why don't they just
bark in their face or something?
-If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons? -
Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet soup?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I think it is just a figure of speech. The heart keeps you alive, not the brain. Perhaps that is where we got the phrases...

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Weird i was just thinking about opening a thread like this oen...
But mine was somewhat different...i've always wondered why when you have a deep emotion, it comes from your heart and not ur brain..

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by A Lone Spartan
I think it is just a figure of speech. The heart keeps you alive, not the brain. Perhaps that is where we got the phrases...

And just how does the heart operate without a brain?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Actually it does have a brain. Of sorts. Its got a cluster of nerve cells to help it operate. Infact the six main chakra points are all points where there are clusters of nerve cells. The anus, gut, solar plexus, heart, throat and brain. Then the seventh chakra point that comes out the top of your head.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I am sorry, but it really annoys me when people asosciate emotion with one's heart. I always reply "my heart pumps blood throughout my body; what does yours do?". Emotion is generated by the brain / mind. All the heart does is expand and contract at regular intervals.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jake_
I am sorry, but it really annoys me when people asosciate emotion with one's heart. I always reply "my heart pumps blood throughout my body; what does yours do?". Emotion is generated by the brain / mind. All the heart does is expand and contract at regular intervals.

I dont think thats true. Or maybe not, the stomach definatly releases chemicals that cause emotions. Like butterflies in the stomach? I think the heart may do a similar thing, but im not sure.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by superduperman
I dont think thats true. Or maybe not, the stomach definatly releases chemicals that cause emotions. Like butterflies in the stomach? I think the heart may do a similar thing, but im not sure.

'Butterflies' is not an emotion; it is a physical sensation. While you are riding in that rollercoaster, you could experience 'butterflies' and fear--fear is an emotion.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

'Butterflies' is not an emotion; it is a physical sensation. While you are riding in that rollercoaster, you could experience 'butterflies' and fear--fear is an emotion.

same thing

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The heart is one of the 'Three Brains':

www.gnosis-usa.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Well...you feel alot of emotions in your heart. I know that when I'm sad...I can sort of feel it in my heart. Have you ever been so sad that your heart goes numb? That's what they're referring to. The way you feel.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by 7th_Chakra
If you have been in love why does your heart feel so happy? why not your elbow? or your left leg?

When I�m in love, my d**k feels happy...
Does it have a brain?
Doubt it...

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Hellmutt Thinking with your other head are you?
I agree though sometimes it seems to have a mind of its own

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by superduperman

same thing

No its not
Feeling butterflies in your stomach, feeling an "ache" in your heart, feeling rage building in your heart, all of these are merely symptoms of the brain's reaction. The reason for all these responses is the subconscious release of a stress hormone called adrenaline. In humans, adrenaline is often released when we feel cold or afraid, but also if we are under stress and feel strong emotions, such as anger or excitement. Other signs of adrenaline release include tears, sweaty palms, trembling hands, an increase in blood pressure, a racing heart or the feeling of 'butterflies' in the stomach. They are not the *cause* of the emotion, they are not the *source* of the emotion. They are merely symptoms of the emotion the brain is experiencing. And before anybody says "the adrenal glands, at least, then experience emotion"- No they dont. They react to the commands from the brain.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join