It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mushrooms That Take Over Their Victims' Minds

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
This is absolutely amazing. The more we discover of nature, the more I really love this planet. Yet we seem to try every day to destroy it.. a mighty shame.

Thank you so much for posting this. I have bookmarked it to show to others later.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

how could it know what place it wants to kill the host? an intelligent fungus?

for the insects, its cruel and unusual...

though I read some insects take over bees and cockroaches...

weird.

same thing might be happening to us and we don't even know it

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I knew about this fungus but hadnt seen it on video...
thanks for that..
Imagine if it evolved into a man killing fungus

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I remember this from the planet earth Series( youtube clip), and thinking wow,

what if this mushroom evolved and was able to do this to, animals and humans in

the future.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Others did long ago. A good part of your DNA might not be of human origin. It's a virus infection. Suspected to produce mutated neurons.

www.wired.com...

[edit on 9-6-2010 by chase the sun]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Weird. I remember reading about this fungus a few years ago. My question is this: is the behavioral change purely biological/chemical? Or is the mushroom consciously controlling its host with its own mind?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

It sure seems as though the fungus has a mind of its own doesn't it? If you look into rabies as well you will find that the disease makes the victim want to bite someone else to spread itself so it can live on. It is scary and amazing and I'm going to look into this further. Good question OrphenFire.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Oh yes mushrooms, death by mushroom. Ya nature is one slick complicated mother. But in all seriousness ants and other critters need to be kept in line they replicate like crazy, you know here in the great old US of A. Kids like there magic mushrooms, I even know some who go to cow fields and either take the magic mushrooms directly from the cow #, and others take the cow # and the spores home put it in a jar or bag and spray it and help it grow then ingest it and sell it to others. Now the question remains what would trigger these nano machines to react and go in to motion, because infiltration in to the human element is like taking candy from a baby, and unlike ants for it to spreed around the host requires no climbing to the highest branch.
Who needs the tptb for population control mother nature is more then capable to keep life and the propagation of life within balance. Lol the zombie apocalypse, if you think about it junkies and all the millions of kids taking the magic mushrooms already act like zombies when on that stuff. Zombie apocalypse indeed. If these fungi only kill the host as a means to propagate then were pretty lucky because for it to spreed around humans is easy, "hey bro want get high go on a magic trip" In humans one must keep them alive to propagate. Man I love mother nature, it always surprises me with its complex beauty, never a dull moment.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
This kind of reminds me of the Mi'go from Yuggoth or the Byrus from Stephen Kings's Dreamcatcher.

I wonder if alien fungus could hitch a ride on a comet?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
That is mad awesome haha.

Thanks OP, Star and Flag for that one.

Made me laugh.

Terence Mckenna had an interesting take on Mushrooms, although I wonder what he would say about these vicious fungi in this thread... perhaps he would say that they are preserving equilibrium in a symbiotic relationship with nature... population control?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by beebs

Lol hippy's are right sometimes, I can't believe fungi aren't getting more studied. They replicate like crazy, grow and spreed at incredible speeds, all they need is water and decomposing mater. And like the dude said in the vid the spores can survive in space, if you can survive in space in any form it's nothing to sneeze at, nasa needs to get on this right away, you can kill 2 birds with one stone for long trips in space. It would take care of the feces mater, one can take a shint in space and grow some mushrooms for food and for the long boredom of space some of the magic variety.
I was watching discovery channel some days ago, and they had a show about what would it be like if a meteor hit the earth and covered the world in ashes, and because of no sunlight in that event, the only thing that would grow is fungi/mushrooms since they don't need sunlight.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Check out Caterpillar Fungus.

Its too late. Civilization is mass producing Cordyceps.

Never use this so-called medicine. If it crosses the species barrier, we're done.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I can see the next movie coming with zombies yelling "I HAVE TO GET HIGH, I HAVE TO GET HIGH" (i meen in area with high altitude and humidity you sickos).

Oh can you pass me some spores of this? I know a couple of people that i want to give them some.

s&f for the finding. never heard of it before.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Doctor Squiggles

I think you have things back to front. A parasites only goal in life is to procreate by infecting and destroying everything in it's path and it doesn't care how much pain and suffering it brings to the host. These nasty critters don't appear to have any evolutionary purpose that is beneficial to nature or the animals and insects living on this planet.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by kindred]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Leave it to nature to design such a simple form of population control. Brilliant. Flag for you.

Chrono

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
Weird. I remember reading about this fungus a few years ago. My question is this: is the behavioral change purely biological/chemical? Or is the mushroom consciously controlling its host with its own mind?

Interesting question that just got me thinking. Since brain functions and "thoughts" really are just chemical and electrical - is there really a difference?

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Brain Parasite Epidemic

I think this was the thread that I read about a year or so ago.. It presents information similar to the OP. Where a parasite makes its way into the brains of rats and then drives them to suicide by hanging around areas where cats habituate.. So they are more likely to be eaten..
You know what this also reminds me of? The movie Shrooms. You'll understand when you see the ending.

[edit on 10/6/10 by pretty_vacant]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
reply to post by Doctor Squiggles

I think you have things back to front. A parasites only goal in life is to procreate by infecting and destroying everything in it's path and it doesn't care how much pain and suffering it brings to the host. These nasty critters don't appear to have any evolutionary purpose that is beneficial to nature or the animals and insects living on this planet.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by kindred]

sounds almost like humans

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Fascinating!
I wonder if the mushroom itself actually possesses intelligence or if it's some sort of pre-destinated patron of chemical processor driving it.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Is THIS the stuff, that is in Oregan, moving North?? It is getting NO Mainstream publicity, gee, I wonder why??
As an ex-biologist, this REALLY scares me. Can't move to my Nevada Ranch, soon enough!! I KNEW that I'd eventually get moldy, in Wa Snake!

<< 1  2    4 >>

join