It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mushrooms That Take Over Their Victims' Minds

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Hey ATS, found this article about Cordyceps Unilateralis a killer fungus that is pretty remarkable.

The parasitic fungus, cordyceps unilateralis, knows how to get what it wants when it latches onto an ant. By attaching itself to the bodies of its victims, the mushroom begins to grow through the ant's body, eating away at soft tissue, while leaving important organs in tact. Eventually the fungus forms growths in the host's brain, emitting chemicals which will alter the ant's perceptions and their responses to pheromones. This process of mind control, which takes 4-10 days to complete, is essential for the fungus to manipulate the ant to help it with its life mission.

The mushroom ultimately desires its host to reach an open location to die – preferably at the top of a plant, where the humidity and environmental temperatures are ideal for fungal reproduction. When the fungus is satisfied with the ant’s location, it eats the ant’s brain, effectively killing the insect.

To complete its mission and maximize its use of the ant, the fungus sprouts through the ant’s head, yielding airborne spores, or fungal babies, which find their own ants to attack. Other insects vulnerable to infection by fungi of the genus cordyceps include dragonflies, beetles, cockroaches, butterflies, and bees. While most insects fear cordyceps fungi, scientists have studied their positive effects. Cordyceps fungi are used in pesticides and as agents against malaria-carrying mosquitoes.

www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
H TV_Nation,

incredible - had never heard of this particular parasite.... The more I see of nature the more it seems to be kill or be killed... sad in a way.

Recently read a piece on quantum physics that brought in biology - humans may be failures because we didn't adapt in the sea, nor did we survive as amphibians, not did we last in the trees....

Mind you I thinking about ht mushroom - some of the mushrooms I ate when younger had much the same effect!

Peace!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Just fascinating!

Thanks to the OP author for this great info.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
that video is from the planet earth series

[edit on 8-6-2010 by SouthernSON]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ah I have heard of this fungus from Paul Stamet (guy knows a LOT).
He patented something like this where you can buy a brick of mycelium (the white part of the fungus) and lay it around places where you want to get rid of ants. The ants find it tasty and bring it back to the nest. Over the next couple of weeks the fungus basically eats up the ants and boom... no more ant problem

Nature has its way to deal with everything. Better than using RAID and poisoning yourself / pets.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
There is a short story about this fungus written by an internet author who goes by the name Josef K. Fantastic writer.

Really scary, if your interested here's the link. thejosefkstories.blogspot.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
silly insects..
dont you know that trips are for.. bugs to?! lo
lthey should stick to the psilocybes! lol

the ones that free your mind, not take it over!

yeah Stamets talked quite a bit about this, he is the man!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Amazing stuff here! This reminds me of the X-Files episode where Mulder and Scully go to the top of a mountain looking for two hikers. The whole episode was about them two hallucinating as they were taken over by a hallucinogenic mushroom that encompassed the whole top of the mountain. It was my favorite episode. It was called Field Trip. Star and flag my friend.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
excellent stuff, thank you very much.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LOLZebra
Ah I have heard of this fungus from Paul Stamet (guy knows a LOT).
He patented something like this where you can buy a brick of mycelium (the white part of the fungus) and lay it around places where you want to get rid of ants. The ants find it tasty and bring it back to the nest. Over the next couple of weeks the fungus basically eats up the ants and boom... no more ant problem

Nature has its way to deal with everything. Better than using RAID and poisoning yourself / pets.

O man I need to find out where to get that stuff. Every once in a while my kitchen gets invaded by ants and I cannot for the life of me figure out where the little bastards are.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Wow that is something else, crazy and amazing.

Thanks for sharing this.

S&F

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Wow that's amazing! but sounds like a horrible way to die.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
remember me an movie once the triffids.........

[edit on 8-6-2010 by ressiv]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

Amazing stuff here! This reminds me of the X-Files episode where Mulder and Scully go to the top of a mountain looking for two hikers. The whole episode was about them two hallucinating as they were taken over by a hallucinogenic mushroom that encompassed the whole top of the mountain. It was my favorite episode. It was called Field Trip. Star and flag my friend.

That sounds like a cool episode. This is a little off topic but there was one episode of X-Files that scared the crap out of me when I was younger.

It was about this family of deformed mutant brothers that lived in a run down house that they booby-trapped to kill off anyone that got too close. They became mutated because their dad had been contaminated with radiation or something so all of the kids were scary as heck. Wish I could figure out what episode it was I would like to see it again.

Edit: I found out what the episode was. It is episode 75 and was called "Home" I guess it was one of their most popular ones and was considered one of the more horrific episodes.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by TV_Nation]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeddiRevolution
There is a short story about this fungus written by an internet author who goes by the name Josef K. Fantastic writer.

Really scary, if your interested here's the link. thejosefkstories.blogspot.com...

I just got around to reading this thanks for sharing I enjoyed it!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
the dredded propaganda fungus

F&S for the pics alone!

make you wonder
what will become of some of the GMOs, nanos, mutant ninja genes

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I always thought the story around the life of this fungus was very interesting.

I don't know if the article mentions it but once an ant is discovered to have been infected, it will be grabbed and removed from the colony all together. They seem to know what is going on and won't risk contaminating the rest of the colony.

Amazing fungus...but in terms of mind controlling parasites and ants...I'll do you one better!

Meet Dicrocoelium dendriticum

This parasite fluke is the ultimate in voodoo mind control!

It starts off in the guts of Cows, who pass along its eggs in thier manure. Snails eat the manure and become infected BUT in order to remove the parasites, seals them into a ball of mucus and vomits it up. An ant comes along and munches on the delicious snail-mucus they so love to eat.

Here's where it gets spooky...

The fluke controls the ant and forces it to commit suicide in a bizarre series of actions in order to restart the life-cycle.

The flukes in the brain of the ant make it do the following:

1) Climb up a long blade of grass during the cool evening.

2) Walk to the end of a blade.

3) Bite onto the end and hang off by its head

4) Wait for a grazing Cow to walk by and eat it.

5) Starts cycle in the guts of the Cow.

Get this...if the Cow does not eat it, the parasite makes the ant release the blade of grass and go back to being an ant. It doesn't want to ant to bake in the sun, and thus kill itself as well so the ant will do this again next day around the same time.

Fascinating world.

- Lee

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation
Cordyceps fungi are used in pesticides and as agents against malaria-carrying mosquitoes.

Does this not disturb anyone?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
It is thus obvious that even mushrooms are sentient. Possessing a mind ? Enslaving a host ? Sounds a bit like "demonic possession" ? One might also speculate that MALE GAMETE is a type of entity like as are the fungus spores exposed in this thread ? Are humans being attacked by these types of fungus ? According to the narrator in the video, these fungus attack when the species reach over population level. Are humans about to under go a similar nemesis ? Out break of mass insanity ? World War ? After which all the millions of decomposing corpses start emitting the fungal spores that brought about the mass suicide in the first place. Thus the cycle begins again. Could this explain why humans are so self destructive ? So obssesed by war and violence contrary to common sense ? I consumed some "magic mushrooms" [Strofaria Cubensis and Psilocybe Cubensis] some years ago in about 2005. I hope that I will not be going insane. Perhaps I am already insane, but have not yet realised it ? These Cordyceps fungus would make a really interesting Sci-Fi movie story. Has Spielberg or Cameron heard about these things yet. Perhaps in a sequel to the movie Avatar the characters could suffer such a plague ? Trouble is though that reality is always stranger than fiction. No one has ever yet proven conclusively what caused the plagues in Europe. It is very likely that all fungus and toadstalls and mushrooms behave in a similar manner ?

[edit on 8/6/2010 by CAELENIUM]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAELENIUM
It is thus obvious that even mushrooms are sentient. Possessing a mind ? Enslaving a host ? Sounds a bit like "demonic possession" ? One might also speculate that MALE GAMETE is a type of entity like as are the fungus spores exposed in this thread ? Are humans being attacked by these types of fungus ?

Imagine if they could engineer a strain of spores that could infect and humans in the same way...

Pretty freaky to think about.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join