It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM recalling 1.4 million vehicles for fire hazard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

GM recalling 1.4 million vehicles for fire hazard

money.cnn.com

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors is recalling 1.4 million vehicles in the U.S. to fix a problem in which fires can be caused by a heated windshield washer fluid system.

GM recalled 944,000 vehicles for this same problem in 2008, but now says the fixes it made aren't stopping new fires. Now GM dealers will simply disable the system altogether.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
It looks like GM is back at what it does best, failing. I can't believe that after the tax-payers were burdened with GM's ills, they still can't seem to get it right. Let's face it, GM is a failure and their cars don't even compare to those of other companies. Why burden the american tax-payer to pay for a company that makes inferior automobiles and can't even seem to get that right.

I would be a lot more understanding of this recall and past recalls if the American people weren't held to account for their short-comings.

--airspoon

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Actually the company that made the defective parts went bankrupt to avoid being held responsible. GM bought the parts from an outside vendor that lied about the quality.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

It is still GM's responsibility to vet their own parts. GM is responsible for the "end" product. For instance, if I sell you a latter that collapsed due to a faulty alloy, the blame would be on me for using the faulty alloy in my product.

A recall in of itself isn't that big of a deal, IMO, but when it is GM who is having another recall, on top of their other problems and the American tax-payers are held to account, then it is a very big deal, IMO. Why is GM having all of these problems and why should the American people shoulder the burden? If they can't compete in their industry, then they need to get out.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
From an engineering perspective, This is sad, really sad.

But this is what happens when Engineers who are doing their jobs are overruled by bean counters and management to save a few bucks or even a few cents per car.

A short to ground, which is the worst case scenario, and catastrophic in any circuit, especially in a high current DC based system as in a car is one's highest priority in the design of any system and/or component.

For the simple reason as mandated by the recall, it can lead to fire.

A very basic solution to this engineering oversight is very simply put and is commonly called a FUSE.

A simple $.02 fuse between the module in question and ground would burn up before the module and the resulting car would.

Most likely the engineers had a fuse in place but the bean counters pointed out the $.02 savings, cost projected over X number of years....Blah Blah Blah and the fuse was eliminated by management as a result.

The Manager gets another promotion for saving those $.02 over X number of years .....Blah Blah Blah. But he's also a swell golfer for the GM golf team !

Ford hasn't exactly been immune to such issues either.

If you recall FORD had the issue with it's cruise control modules melting down and causing fires in the F-150s and Explorers, their bread and butter, resulting in recalls as well.

As I had said, this is the way engineering in the American Auto industry works, and also as to why they are losing business.

If they can save a penny per car, they most certainly will.

And on a final note, this is EXACTLY what W. Edwards Deming had warned GM and Ford about in the 1950's.

They are called simply put.....Defects.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

Ford hasn't had all of the problems that GM has had, relatively speaking. What makes this recall so bad, IMO, is that GM can't seem to get anything right. They took tax-payer bailout and the quality of vehicle just doesn't seem to compete with other companies.

Look what they did to SAAB. They bought SAAB and completely drove the successful Swedish car company into the ground. After the GM purchase, SAAB just wasn't the same. The quality took a nose-dive.

Then you have to look at this whole On-Star thing. I was in the market for a new car a couple of months ago and I was looking at purchasing Buick. The only reason that I'm not driving a Buick today, is because of On-Star. They couldn't offer me a vehicle with out that damned tracking device. Apparently this is something that sways a lot of people from purchasing GM. I know several people who aren't "conspiracy minded" or awake that simply won't buy GM vehicles because of their mandatory On-Star device.

So, when you add it all-together, you have a company that is producing vehicles that nobody wants and vehicles that lack both the value and quality of their competitors. You have a company that isn't efficient enough to compete against their competitors. You have a company that can't even build their vehicles right and you have a company that simply can't survive without the help of the tax-payers.

Talk about a crappy company.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Why do I need a heated washer when I can go to the autoparts store and get fluid rated to not freeze to -20F. Besides, I'm smart enough to lift the wipers off the windshield and carry an ice scraper when I happen to be somewhere that gets below freezing.

new topics

top topics

join