It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reuters Busted Again Photoshopping Gaza Pics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Reuters Brings Fauxtography To Gaza

Reuters is now doctoring its pictures from the violence aboard the Guerrilla Flotilla.

Now they're editing out people with knives, cleaning up some blood. Pics are in link.

What happened to honest reporting?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I think that would be called precision cropping

here's another related piece:

www.mediate.com

Did Reuters alter images taken on the flotilla Israeli soldiers boarded last week in order to make it look like the passengers were not bearing arms? It certainly looks that way. In images used by Reuters, evidence of weapons were removed or cropped from the pictures. Reuters tells Israeli newspaper Haaretz that the mistake was not intentional:

Does it change what happened? no, but it does show how this type of cropping can alter the perception of those looking at the pics.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
I think that would be called precision cropping

Is that cropping or is that outright deletion?

So much for journalistic integrity.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The images have just been cropped. It is perhaps unfortunate that they are cropping out information which provides context, but that's life.

Whether it is a purposeful cropping to pain a different story would be indicated in the commentary. For example, if Reuters then went on to say that noone had any knives then that would be alarming indeed.

Regards

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Knives do not make you a terrorist, as far as I am concerned every man, woman, and young person, should have a knife. I do not know why they cropped the pictures it could have been for sizing reasons, even with the knife in the picture it does not make me feel hatred so I would not assume they removed the knives to make the readers feel better about the flotilla.

A guy has a knife, big woop, if it were assault riffles and the passengers were wearing balaclava I might start to feel differently but so far the guys on the ground look like terrorists to me.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
But then again it can also be said that the knife was edited in instead of edited out of the picture.I am not claiming either ,just pointing it out.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm real surprised by this. Its all about advocacy-based journalism these days. If reality doesn't reflect the storyline they want to report, they change reality, as we see here. Objective, unbiased reporting went out the window decades ago.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Different day same story. Reuters, The New York Times, the BBC, and even the U.N. is in on this gig of editing news to spin in in their direction. Of course the spin is nearly always anit-Israeli.

Hezbollywood. Was the Qana collapse staged?

WORLD: UN fabricates story of Israel shelling UNRWA school in Gaza (Confirmed)

Fake CNN Gulf War footage?

Hamasywood - Daytime Candlight Meeting

New York Times joins Reuters with fraudulent photos of it's own

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aziroth
I do not know why they cropped the pictures it could have been for sizing reasons

The thing is, the pictures that Jacktmtn (sp) posted are not actually cropped. Check them again. They've been sterilized to remove someone with a knife. Same in the other ones in the link.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Yep they sure are guilty in my book. Looks like they were subtly trying to side with the "terrorists". Mustn't let the world see them bringing knives to a gun fight... After all, we already know a wide array of dangerous kitchen cutlery and pointy sticks were confiscated.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rafe_
But then again it can also be said that the knife was edited in instead of edited out of the picture.I am not claiming either ,just pointing it out.

The background of the knife does not fit with the overall "mesh" look of the rest of the background.

I'd say this was an addition as well.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

The bottom and the right side has been cropped, to remove the blood on the lower portion of the pic, and the knife wielding hand.

Take a good look at the right and bottom of both and compare the two pics and it will become obvious that it was cropped, not shopped

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

The bottom and the right side has been cropped, to remove the blood on the lower portion of the pic, and the knife wielding hand.

Take a good look at the right and bottom of both and compare the two pics and it will become obvious that it was cropped, not shopped

You know what? It's a little bit of both. Check the red rectangle in the 2nd photo. The left edge points up to the man's left shoulder. In order to completely crop the knife out it would have to have been cropped at the point of that left side of the rectangle. It is definitely cropped, but also cleaned.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Reuters does have a history of leaning away from any story or facts that may shine some positive light on Israel. Apparently they are back pedaling on this issue now. Time to spin when you actually get caught in the act.

In these two shots you can clearly see that at least two people were armed with large fixed blade knives. So you have to wonder how many others were armed with similar knives? Let's not forget about the knife that was left in the belly of an IDF soldier.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Those photos are all cropped and not photo shopped. If you look clearly you can see that the cropping will appear right at the edge of where the knife would be. Very intentional it seems.

Although, in that first photo with the soldier in green on the ground, the person that's holding the knife is not holding it with intent to use it seems, more like a girl afraid of the knife would hold it with two fingers. So the knife was probably taken from the soldier that's on the ground.

Still doesn't excuse the cropping to keep information out.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I first became aware of such mass-manipulation of imagery and sounds during our invasion of Iraq as documented in the following:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6819ecf20f2d.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

join