It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News monopolistic control over news

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
As most of us all know FOX News is the most viewed cable news source in America. They are far beyond both MSNBC and CNN. Maintaining an obvious Conservative even Neoconservative slant on issues. Bringing on political commentators that lack true experience and knowledge of political systems and adding them to panels that are meant for encouraging political debate.

I find it hard to understand their rationale when proclaiming 'Fair and Balanced' when the overwhelming majority of your commentators and guests are Conservative or are defending Conservatives on dividing issues. They have the so called 'Great American Panel' on Hannity that is made up of simply Conservatives.

Panels are meant for sparking political debate, but all I see is a round table of everyone nodding in agreement with each other. They have Michelle Malkin as a regular guest on FOX and she has gone as far as to attack Atheist/Agnostics and claimed terrible things about Liberals. They also have Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, John McCain, and Ann Coulter as frequent guests.

Now to get to the real story. I was speaking with my cable provider and asked how I could lower my bill so as to save money. I don't order movies and currently have Stars + Show Time for free. As we were discussing the arrangements and channels I would lose we came to a final deal. But I asked the representative the news channels I will be provided with and he said the local news channels and FOX News + FOX Business.

I asked how much it would cost to have MSNBC and CNN, I am a regular viewer of MSNBC.
He said it would cost an extra $7 per month because he would have to raise my package deal to a higher level.
I asked him why I must pay an extra $7 just to have CNN and MSNBC but still receive FOX News.
His answers was clear, he said FOX News is part of every standard package and the other national news channels are just additional.

So now FOX is part of the regular package while CNN and MSNBC would cost me an extra $7!? I obviously agreed to pay the $7 and receive my news. But it outraged me, why is FOX treated better than the other news stations. Obviously all have a political slant. MSNBC is Liberal, FOX is conservative, and CNN is for whoever’s in office.

Has anyone else encountered this?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

No one watches MSNBC or CNN, so I think you have the answer to your question. There ratings are low which means advertisers won’t pay big money to advertise like they do on Beck or O'Riely.

Fox News has a lot of Liberals on there shows, such Mark Lamont and Allan Combs. Your buddy George Soros Threatened them about going on to Fox, and your Messiah blasts Fox all the time. If people make enough stink about something people will watch it.

I think they need to get rid of all this 24 hour News Channels it leads to sensationalism and real stories are not showed. Just what the Talking heads want you to hear.

I noticed you like Socialsim do you really trust this Government to run anything right? It doesnt work look at Europe, Mainly the PIIGS.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Fox isn't treated better.

Depending on your cable provider, Fox is part of the basic package. CNN and GE (MSNBC, CNBC, etc.) made a deal with that provider to charge more for their channels.

With other providers, it may be just the opposite, with Fox being a premium channel and CNN being part of the basic package.

It has more to do with media ownership (the owners of the station also having an interest in any particular provider) then censorshop/bias.

Say GE owns a part of a provider like Comcast. They would make their channels more expensive for other providers, say AT&T, so that more people used Comcast (and additional profit to GE).

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

First off let me just say deny ignorance.

Secondly I don't like neither Obama or Soros. And yes Social DEMOCRACY does work. Why have you not pointed out the failures of Netherlands, Australia, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland? You love to tout the PIIGS but if you understood their systems of welfare they were bound to collapse sooner or later.

Portugal's welfare system is the Southern European model also used in Spain, Italy and Greece. It is a model based around low work hours, high pay and disregard for debt. Ireland has one of the most Neoliberal economic models in the western world, maintaining low tax, low regulation and moderate welfare payments. It is a typical Anglo-Saxon economic model with a welfare state, same goes for the UK. I would not be surprised if Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Hungary, UK and Slovakia collapsed too.

When you create a Mixed Market Social Democratic system you must have certain economic rules for sustaining your economy and your economic model. These countries wanted to combine Neoliberal economics with a generous welfare state, and anyone with a calculator and a brain could tell you they were on a collision course with debt and economic instability.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Maybe a better thing to do would be to ween yourself from the 'boob tube'!
We don't get a straight story from any source, no matter the network.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I asked the same thing about BET. Found out that Cable companies have no choice but to carry this garbage. It's mandatory. No opt out whatsoever.

As far as FOX News goes....ratings equals power.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
First, you should have gotten DirectTV.
We get all three of those channels in the basic lineup.

Secondly, we have only ourselves to blame for the fact that FOX News, Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are so popular, even though what they spew is far from the truth in most cases. We, as a people, LOVE drama, tension and sensationalism. Back in the good old days, when news was reported without a slant, it was kind of boring, but at least we got the information and were able to make up our own minds. Today, NONE of the top news channels report the news. It's all Entertainment for today's bored consumer, designed to address the bottom line. $$$. It's all about money.

So in the end, it doesn't matter which news channel you see, you're not getting the truth.

BTW, I have my car radio tuned to the EIB and I listen to Rush (or Walt Williams) almost every day. And I watch MSNBC in the evenings. So I get both ends of the spectrum and know that the truth is somewhere in the middle or clear to the outside. I can't stomach FOX.

new topics

top topics

join