It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New laws to target cyber bullies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

New laws to target cyber bullies

news.ninemsn.com.au

Cyber bullies could be slapped with intervention orders for a one-off offence under new Victorian laws to tackle rising incidents of schoolyard intimidation.

The government will introduce legislation in state parliament this week to better deal with bullies and cyber thugs.

The legislation will expand the grounds on which a person can apply for an intervention order, with a focus on mediation to keep minor cases out of the courts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Cyber bullies could be hit with intervention orders for a one-off offence under new Victorian laws.

This is totally insane. What is going to stop someone with an Internet connection and either an email or even a Facebook account cyber-bullying someone?

Nothing. Why all the fuss?

In the past, bullying was often physical and verbal, because computers were not in widespread use and they were primitive in those days.

Nowadays, with the tech-savvy Generation Y, bullying is only a few keystrokes away...

What's with the liberal mentality of the Victorian state government anyway?

Intervention orders are not gonna stop cyberbullies from continuing the victimization of their intended subjects.

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It would be very hard to prove. Plus what if the police and gov are organizing the bullying. I have had gang stalking for years, and it was organised by the gov and police, so who stops them?

I assume the aussie land is like uk.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

I actually agree with this to my own surprize.
In my citys craigslist rants and raves section there is a guy who has been posting hate against gays for the last few years or so.
Anytime I go there its just more hate towards gays because of this one homophobic individual.
Many have complained to stop all the hate posts and this guy actually taunts people because nobody can do anything about it.
I would love to see this hater go up before the courts for being a tasteless,no class hate mongerer who hides behind his computer.

Theres enough hate on the internet...do we really need cyber bullies and hate mongerers?

[edit on 8-6-2010 by DrumsRfun]

[edit on 8-6-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

How does one define a cyber bully? And what ramifications does making it illegal have on the notion of freedom of speech?

If we make cyber bullying illegal, then we no longer have the freedom to say what we want or express ourselves in any way we please. If anyone is bothered by the craigslist rants about gays, then the best thing they can do is NOT read them, and just forget about him.

The best way to deal with "cyber bullying" is to forget about it and just live life like we have been living it perfectly fine without government intervention. To invite the government onto our online interactions playing the schoolyard teacher is just asking for censorship and a big-brother atmosphere.

These guys feed off of your attention. Forget about them and avoid them, they cannot harm you on the internet.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by FinalSonicX
reply to post by DrumsRfun

How does one define a cyber bully? And what ramifications does making it illegal have on the notion of freedom of speech?

If we make cyber bullying illegal, then we no longer have the freedom to say what we want or express ourselves in any way we please. If anyone is bothered by the craigslist rants about gays, then the best thing they can do is NOT read them, and just forget about him.

The best way to deal with "cyber bullying" is to forget about it and just live life like we have been living it perfectly fine without government intervention. To invite the government onto our online interactions playing the schoolyard teacher is just asking for censorship and a big-brother atmosphere.

These guys feed off of your attention. Forget about them and avoid them, they cannot harm you on the internet.

I completely see what you are saying about freedom of speech and that is where the fine line is.
Just because someone is on the internet doesn't give them the excuse to act like less then civil human beings.We should always put our best foot forward.
I can't excuse racism and hate as a right.
If all someone has to do with their life is antagonize a certain group they don't like or a certain person they don't like then these people have to go get a life and i will be happy to see the courts let them know that.

As far as the craigslist rants and raves section...I used to like reading them because they were real people just venting or expressing how much they might have liked a certain restaraunt or something like that.
Now if I made a post saying how much I like ats for example...all you get is ONE guy who feels the need to belittle and putdown everyone who posts there and then go back to posting his hatred for gays.
I quit reading them a LONG time ago which is kinda my point.
I don't need someone elses negativity because they are unhappy with their lives and feel the need to bully others over the internet.
I just want to be able to read that section without seeing all the hatred.
Its ok to vent but EVERYDAY by the same guy??

With that said...if jerks like that would be held accountable I wouldn't have to make an effort to avoid reading his hate.

It is a double edge sword...on one hand you have the loss of freedom of speech(I don't really consider hate and racism being a valid form of speech)
On the other hand you have a guy hiding like a coward on the internet who is free to spread as much hate and hurt as possible.
Whats your solution besides avoid it?
Maybe I want to read that section of craigslist,just without all the hatred and bullying.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
one more step in controlling the only method of speech they have little power over

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
goodbye freedom of speech...
hal turner the supremacist radio dude
who was calling for hate crimes the murder of judges etc
defended himself in court by disclosing he is an
FBI agent...

problem reaction solution

Hal Turner is a “National Security Intelligence” Asset
www.prisonplanet.com...

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Danbones]

top topics