It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge seas 'once existed on Mars'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Was it not established that Mars suffered a significant polar shift/ axis tilt at some point in it's history? Would this not explain the water loss/ magnetic shielding loss?

The only thing I remember about this info (as to where it came from) was that Cydonia & The Face at one time were located at the equator of Mars...so maybe was the result of rampant bull-sh$#tery. I really don't know if fact or not...

Maybe someone knows more about this?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Cole DeSteele

Like Earth, the poles of Mars have not always been where they are today. In fact, Mars seems to have transformed dramatically during its roughly 4.5-billion-year life. One striking feature known as the Tharsis Bulge — it's 5 miles high (8 kilometers) and covers a sixth of the planet — illustrates how a changing shape would have altered its axis over time, scientists say.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

A lot of this is preliminary, but based on comparisons to what can be observed on Earth, and then logical deduction. We need to actually GO there, and study up close, to further refine these theoretical models.

Still, as suggested, any of these planet-wide devastations happened a long, long time ago. Remember, the Inner Solar System was a very violent place, lots of debris and smashing into things, and so on...for the first many hundreds of millions of years -- until most of the detritus was swept up, as it impacted and accreted to other bodies.

[edit on 9 June 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Damn wacker, that was quick!

Thanks for the backup- I was hoping I wasn't quoting some nutjob that pulled that out of his anus.

I agree, and manned missions are the only way to really answer these questions.

I was going to start a thread on this, and still might, but after watching a discovery channel show about this massive diamond mine under a volcano...possible manned missions to Mars could write their own ticket...follow me:

-If life existed on Mars for an extended period of time prior to the cataclysm, there would be a massive amount of carbon deposits under ground

-Volcanoes = heat and pressure, plus millennium of both applied to said carbon = diamonds

-Olympus Mons is the largest volcano in the solar system

OK, setting up the mining operation would be mad-retarded expensive, but the profit would be just as retarded...

hmmmm. Didn't scientists refute the existence of carbon on Mars altogether for the longest time?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Cole DeSteele

Carbon has been found in the Nakhla meteorite which was found in Egypt in 1911 .

Analysis of the interior revealed channels and pores filled with a complex mixture of carbon compounds. Some of this forms a dark, branching - or dendritic - material when seen under the microscope.

If it is indigenous to Mars, the authors say the "carbonaceous material" came either from another space rock that smashed into Mars hundreds of thousands of years ago, or is a relic of microbial activity. A resemblance between the material in the meteorite and features of microbial activity in volcanic glass from our planet's ocean floor further support the idea they are biological in origin, says the paper. If this is the case, the remains of these organisms and their slimy coatings might provide the the carbon-rich material found in Nakhla, the researchers argue.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 16-6-2010 by gortex]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
What if life on Earth came from Mars originally?

HMMMMMMMMMMM

top topics

<< 1   >>

join