It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sudden Sinkhole Outbreak Raises Fear in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
An outbreak of massive sinkhole's in China appears the last time????

The people of China are affraid of the sinkhole's that are appear over the country, They say that the couse is erosion. But 26 hole's in a few months??? Is the earth cracking up? What do you ATSérs think about it?

www.theepochtimes.com...

While the Guatemalans are wondering if the giant sinkhole formed on June 1 in their capital city is an isolated case, on the other side of the globe, the Chinese have discovered at least eight sinkholes that suddenly formed in the past two weeks across their country, and many more have appeared during the past two months.

The latest known sinkhole formed at 12:25 a.m. Beijing time on June 4, in the middle of a freeway in Zhejiang Province on the nation’s eastern coast. The sinkhole measured 20 feet deep and 27 feet wide.

A sinkhole occurred on June 4 on a freeway in China's Zhejiang Province. (Photographer name withheld by request) The hole occurred when a light truck drove over the spot. The truck rolled over when its rear wheels were caught at the edge of the hole. The slightly injured driver climbed out and stopped traffic when he saw the giant hole. Police arrived within 10 minutes and blocked the road.

A spokesperson for the local freeway management office said experts on site suspected that the sudden collapse of an underground karst cave created by eroded limestone caused the sinkhole, but the investigation is ongoing.

Later the same day, about 300 miles west in Nanchang City, capital Jiangxi Province, a moving car was trapped when a hole about the size of the car suddenly opened up on a main road.

On June 3, four huge sinkholes opened up in Guangxi Province where a torrential storm was raging. According to Chinese state media reports, more than 600 villagers had to be evacuated because of them.

Three smaller holes were found between May 27 and May 30 in southwestern Sichuan Province, less than 80 miles from the Wenchuan epicenter of the deadly May 2008 Sichuan earthquake that killed approximately 80,000 people.

In Yibin City about 260 miles from the earthquake’s epicenter, 26 larger sinkholes have formed since April 27.

Prelude to Disaster?

The outbreak of sinkholes has struck fear in Chinese people. Though reports in official media always quote “experts” that conclude such holes are not warning signs of another major earthquake, people have little trust in such comments.

Online bloggers posted footage of similar alleged expert reassurances aired on local TV news channels shortly before the Sichuan earthquake. They are criticizing such assertions as no more than authorities’ tricks to maintain so-called social stability.

“What I hate most of the ‘experts’ on TV who confidently promise everything is OK,” wrote one blogger. “They’re saying this only because the government told them to.”

Many other bloggers joked that when the media start to refute earthquake rumors, it is time to pack up and leave because an earthquake is surely around the corner.

Having little trust in the regime's official reports, Chinese are now increasingly wary of abnormalities such as the appearance of large herds of toads or snakes, or clouds of unusual colors or shapes, and pay serious attention to any disaster warnings on blog sites.

Sinking government credibility and all too fresh memories of a series of recent disasters are causing Chinese society to become easily agitated. This February, the mere rumor of an earthquake scared tens of thousands of citizens in Taiyuan City in Shanxi Province out of their homes and into the streets to spend the night.
Read the original Chinese article.

www.theepochtimes.com...

Some more pics and comments:
www.chinasmack.com...

[edit on 8-6-2010 by ni91ck]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ni91ck
An outbreak of massive sinkhole's in China appears the last time????

The people of China are affraid of the sinkhole's that are appear over the country, They say that the couse is erosion. But 26 hole's in a few months??? Is the earth cracking up? What do you ATSérs think about it?

I think this explains the holes as they are usually caused by water erosion .

On June 3, four huge sinkholes opened up in Guangxi Province where a torrential storm was raging.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

But why are ther non in the Netherlands? I searchd for it in google but nothing to find. Here in Holland we have always rain and floodings?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Another thing which can cause sinkholes is the emptying of underground reservoirs, such as relatively shallow depth limestone caves that act as sinks for groundwater.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
SORRY! Wrong Thread - Peace!

[edit on 8-6-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Tell me what your post has brought to the party, if you dont like the subject then dont post.

To the OP S&F Very interesting, the earth does seem to be knackered at the moment. Strange times ahead

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ni91ck

for my money, i'd be checking on positions of american satelites. i've only seen pics of the one in guatamala and the one in china but they are near enough perfect circles.
and i saw recently (not sure if it was ATS) that some guy thinks one satelite is loaded with a laser. could be really high tech! why should a sink hole be so round?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ni91ck
reply to post by tarifa37

But why are ther non in the Netherlands? I searchd for it in google but nothing to find. Here in Holland we have always rain and floodings?

Simply because of the type of geology in the area .Underground water tables and rivers can erode the softer sediments above causing in rare instances total collapse.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a) huge sinkholes in Guatemala
b) huge sinkholes in China

a+b = super-awesome shortcut, transportation system.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
epoch times?

These were the same people who were saying that the big Chinese earthquake was caused by a nuclear detonation.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I'm curious why all these sinkholes are so perfectly round. Usually when we see water erosion it is more like a "stream bed" effect.

If you Google water erosion you'll come up with hundreds of photos with a steambed effect, but I see none that are perfectly round holes.

Very puzzling.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
i think we have to dig a little (deeper) in this. And about that weapon in space??? I think because they are different in diameter that that is out of the question. And why would they shoot hole's in the earth? But good thinking!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Hot of the Press today check out the video on the bbc site below:
bbc article

I just saw this one, then found this thread. I also remembered there being a massive sinkhole a few weeks ago but thought it was in S. America.

WHAT IS GOING ON, its almost like the core of the Earth is expanding and contracting like a wheezy old smokers lung causing Earth Quakes, spewing out volcanic ash, glad I do not believe in doom predictions and signs of the apocalypse

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm sorry I can't resist.....

LOCUSTS!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Here's another article. I agree the earth is certainly having some pregnancy pangs. This sinkhole appears to look like a sinkhole should, no real shape to it, unlike the one recently in Guatemala.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The sinkhole started to yield in mid-January, at first forming a hole twenty meters in diameter. Intense springtime rainfall has since accelerated the hole's expansion, which has, in turn, caused damage to area buildings.

At least eight additional sinkholes have formed in various Chinese regions in the past few weeks, sparking fears among residents that the holes could be an early indication of other seismic activity in the country.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I was more thinking of the hollw earth theory???

top topics

join