It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal Definition, "Worship"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Can you describe your own personal definition of what the word worship describes?

If i had to define something as being worshiped, i would assume that i have to first be aware of the fact that i am worshiping something. I see this word as a conscious action one takes to partake in a ritual involving acts, and communication to a deity. I use the term deity loosely. I could describe a deity as a computer, or Jesus, Buddha, or my car, or anything.

Have you worshiped in the past? What did you act of worship involve? Do you consider addiction an act of unconscious worship? How about your definition for the word addiction?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
That word has multiple definitions. and one is a verb.

The connotative - Idolization
The denotative - A type of focus

So before you get an answer make sure the answer is under the definition you are looking for or you are going to get a lot of misconceptions in the thread.

Going on the literal meaning. - I would say it is supremely letting what you are doing affect you for your benefit. Whether that be focusing on a thought, an idea, music, your surroundings in according to an idea. People that talk about worshiping God in church usually describe about an engulfing energy of God's love or something of that nature. This worship usually precedes devotion.

Going on the representative meaning - Idolization - It would be similar to just being infatuated with something to an extent of giving it more importance than yourself. Use a gesture to show this, like when a man kisses someones feet to show their obedience or inferiority. Holding something on a display for all to oogle at, where people will pay big bucks just to see it, they would fight someone for it, curse them if they damned it, literally praise it because of its superiority in their lives.

These are just my definitions though. I am sure they both can be combined as well.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Where can you draw the line between gratitude, and worship?

Like if i stop and focus on something, could i be showing gratitude for that something? Weather it is gratitude to say, oh thank you for giving me this, or gratitude as, oh what a great tree, thanks tree. Is there a clear difference between gratitude and worship?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I would break out my answer by distinguishing "worship" from "admire"...

I operate that you are what you admire, if you do it right...the appreciation for a good quality requires the possession of said quality, at least a little bit in order to recognize it, and all my best bits I have copied from others, very very very much so...if you love it you already own it...

Worship kicks in when you don't see how to gain any traction, as a practical matter, towards becoming more like the thing you admire...(I score worship as a failure of imagination or planning, though, because you can always become more like the thing you admire, if you bite-size the chunks correctly)...

But I suspect all I've done in this here answer is talk about my personal philosophy, as opposed to shedding much light on worship in others...Sorry.

And addiction is a slight misdirection of attention, like looking in the rearview mirror so much you don't notice you are driving off a cliff...but, like so many problems, inattention to reality fixes itself...yupyup.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Well I mean, worship in a sense is would be a "stronger" connection. I am not sure where you would draw the line, because these are personal experiences, and getting scientific about it, on where and what not, isn't really an easy answer.

but really you would have to break down what exactly that focus can lead to - so if it is gratitude, where does a little gratitude lead to? and if you keep pursuing that, will it still feel like gratitude or something else?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

Personal philosophy on a definition is exactly what i am looking for.

I interpret and use wordplay to create my own understanding for things. I wanted to see other peoples wordplay on this word. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by juveous

so if it is gratitude, where does a little gratitude lead to?

I'm not sure, this is something i am playing around with right now. Does gratitude have more of an affect on time perception, i mean love seems to have an affect right, mybe not, love just seems to be more a way of being, gratitude seems to be an expression of being.

Well I mean, worship in a sense is would be a "stronger" connection.

Would you say its the act of gaining a stronger connection, or is it the connection itself? If i "worship" for a prolonged period of time, do i then have less gratitude for something else, such as self for example?

Could i say by worshiping something, i wish to become that something? That seems to be wrong... not the actual worshiping, but the end result of not being ok with self.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by onequestion]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by juveous

so if it is gratitude, where does a little gratitude lead to?

I'm not sure, this is something i am playing around with right now. Does gratitude have more of an affect on time perception, i mean love seems to have an affect right, mybe not, love just seems to be more a way of being, gratitude seems to be an expression of being.

Well I mean, worship in a sense is would be a "stronger" connection.

Would you say its the act of gaining a stronger connection, or is it the connection itself? If i "worship" for a prolonged period of time, do i then have less gratitude for something else, such as self for example?

It is hard to say, because it could very well be both. The act of it though, would be the easiest to notice rather than just the connection which could be just how you feel at the time. If you worshiped for a prolonged period of time, I would assume you are concentrated on that or its connection to your concentration, so subtracting gratitude in something else would depend on whether or not it was apart of your concentration or not, I assume.

Could i say by worshiping something, i wish to become that something? That seems to be wrong... not the actual worshiping, but the end result of not being ok with self.

If by worshiping something that is your intentions than I would say yes, the result of it seeming wrong would only be true if they weren't your intentions. If your intentions are to not be "it" but let it affect you, than there is no real desire to attain anything. Maybe that was a bit confusing sounding - letting it affect you would prevent the reason that worshiping something would give you a status. A status is what you "become" you have defined yourself, and when you define yourself it is a perspective that shapes your reality. So if you aren't ok with what you "become" it is probably because it may not line up with how you really feel.
[edit on 8-6-2010 by onequestion]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Is it your aim to have someone describe their experience "worshipping?"

So you can hear how they experience it, what they have to say, etc. from the perspective of one who is okay talking about it?

It would be very personal, after all. Things relating to a soul or spiritual reality would not be bound by physical laws, and could allow for a closer relationship than even a husband and wife, who become as close to one as possible?

Or a mother and her child, the flesh of her very flesh? Spiritual intimacy would go even deeper, broader, higher, stronger than that...so it would, by definition, be a very, very intimate thing to share with a stranger, or even a friend.

Is this what you are asking, OP? So many in-depth and honest answers have been shared already.

I have experienced worship. I could share some parts of that, if that's what you are asking.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Copperflower

Yes, i would like to hear this.

Thanks for seriously taking a look at the questions and taking the time to understand everyones replys.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I see it like this
Kingship ( lord from divine right decended from ..)
the position of being a king
worship
The position of being a wor

I'm going to guess that it is the same root as "or"
orion (aryon), oracle, orbit, ornate, orb, lord (lord god)
superior ( overlord) sworn sword, gore, bore , boar, door, lore, war, tort

ford (to cross as in swords) roar, snore,oar ( penetrates water crosses as in the river styx))

"But notice that Saul's excuse for disobeying the Lord was so that he could allegedly worship the Lord by offering sacrifices of the cattle and sheep he took from the Amalekites."
www.deceptioninthechurch.com...

I'm going to guess it goes back to the temple whores of babylon who had to invent the bank to deal with all the stuff people sacrificed to them.
sex- penetration for a donation was part of the fertility cult of the time.

edit
oh yeah SandF

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Hey thanks for your alternative approach to my question.

These are the types of ideas i really appreciate here at ATS. I am going to look more into this.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Remember that song that goes:

"Love is not a victory march, it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah..."

My experience with worship is something like this, and please bear in mind that different situations exist, just as between two people in a relationship. Sometimes it is passionate and wordless, sometimes full of gratitude, sometimes (most times for me) full of wonder and awe that He is truly real, so very perfect and so full of emotion, and makes it apparent to whoever seeks Him.

My worship experiences have tended to be these kinds:

Joy and admiration, number one. This has changed the very term "worship" from something degrading to something that is more like a celebration is supposed to be. How hard is it to find admirable things of any kind in this world? Add to that eternity, unlimited power, and beauty and usefulness in everything He made, and now there is wonder, very rare these days.

I have always loved science, even before I ever acknowledged God. Through studying the known and speculative information about the universe, through reading about the admiration of it by scientists I respected, I was inclined to be less biased and condescending to those who either believed, or didn't disbelieve in God.

Many claimed to believe in God the more they studied the intelligence, functions, and mysteries of the universe and what is contained within it. This got my attention.

When I learn about another amazing physical process, when I see the possibilities built right in to the fabric of our universe and our earth, I feel amazed. Because God has created this, He is invested and will allow only what will not destroy it. This is to preserve our freedom of choice, something that matters much more than life itself. Also because the Bible says that the destruction of the Flood broke His heart, and that is why He will never do it again. What a beautiful reason. What a living heart.

Have you ever been tyrannized by someone? Then you know how important freedom of choice is. I worship Him for that, too. As much as I have complained to Him about so many destructive people and acts, I have come to understand that ultimate control is for Nazis, not for even the most loving parents, and not, apparently, for God, either.

I worship Him when I realize that He could control us, but does not. I am filled with thankfulness that He is big enough not only to make the universe, but to allow the most people to have the most freedom in the only place that can be truly free, inside the mind and heart. Only a genius could.

He knew that all of these things would be occurring, but He designed the creation to last, and He can certainly exercise whatever parts of it He wishes. What restraint He has shown, how long He has kept the promise not to destroy the Earth.

Furthermore, I am awed much more by His amazing words of wisdom in the Bible, even more than I am amazed by the richness of wisdom observed and catalogued by the greatest thinkers Earth has ever produced.

Reading their works, then the Bible, showed how much wisdom both contain, but the Bible has even more than that, if one looks carefully, without even a Christian bias, which can actually lead to a self-centered interpretation, and a failure to grasp points which it makes with great subtlety, for the discerning reader.

I once worshipped wisdom and hard science. Now I find that I am much more enamored of the Source of them, the unadulterated genius of His systems, and the long scale of the Biblical story.

I also feel that love and worship truly become one where He is concerned in my life.

Hating stupidity, mindless hatred based on weak self-indulgent biases and a sense of entitlement, and all forms of willful ignorance, it's easy for me to appreciate God for His patience, His huge scope and view of things, and the way learning about Him and taking Him seriously has led to a strong and higher perspective than I could have ever achieved by studying science alone.

I worship Him because He tells the truth no matter how hard or sad it is. I worship Him and give Him my loyalty because He won my heart and wooed it through the very things He made, through my fascination and love for them.

He draws the deepest love and admiration from me by His constantly renewing help. Our only problem is that we feel we must prove things so our fellow humans won't ridicule us into cowardice or doubt, but once we take the relationship for what it is - a personal one with our Maker- then we begin to see the same things we experience, but in others.

Sure enough, they are learning, and being taught the same things.

Mostly, He draws the worship from me by helping helpless ones I cannot, through making all things work together for the good of those who love Him, and through His constant love that is better than mine.

It reaches farther, and never fails. I could tell you of so many people I've prayed with being blessed by Him.

I adore His freedom, in showing me that He has an answer for each of us, for every situation, and is able to help us believe in Him when we can't on our own.

I appreciate Him for taking the time to prove to me that He is not only real, but truly good, and magnificently powerful. Also, He made things (atoms, molecules, stem cells, quantum physics/mechanics) in a way that He interacts without destroying it, and I have never seen Him fail anyone who sought Him just in case He is real.

I am often worshipping Him because He is too good to be true, but wins hearts and minds all over the globe, every day, without the help of any missionaries or ministers of any kind.

He should not be, and indeed, was supposed to be a figment of man's imagination. I admire Him with the wonder I feel over and over as He proves He is real.

He has opened my eyes to many possibilities, as well, and I worship Him for making my good brain even better by disciplining me from and exposing assumptions for what they are.

By being ever more scrupulous and demanding of the Bible, I have achieved a higher respect for it, and for the power of God to get His message across, despite what man has done to it or to anything else. People who believe do so because He had interacted with them in a way that only He could know means something to them.

It's a huge topic, but not really. Just a huge God, and His huge love. As a former atheist, I know it should not be, but yet, it is.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Yes, it means, "work."

Avodah is the transliteration of the Hebrew word for worship and work. Have you ever thought about the connection? Is worship work? Is work worship?

The root word means to work or to serve. The cluster of words derived from the root give us insight into the nature of both worship and work.

An oved is a worker. An evid is a slave. Avdut is slavery. Work involves the idea of serving someone. Avodat Elohim is the service or worship of the true God. Avodah zara is literally strange worship (it is also the title of one of the tractates of the Talmud, which discusses the subject of idolatry and corrupt and false worship).

Avodat Elillim is idolatry, the worship of false gods. Indeed, false worship or idolatry is in essence serving the devil and leads to avdut-bondage, slavery to Satan.

Worship of the true God in Messiah Jesus through the Holy Spirit and in truth is hard work. It demands expenditure of energy. Worship is not mere campfire singing. It requires focus and concentration of our faculties. "Be still, and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10*).

ag.org...

Avodah/Worship

Avodah is the Hebrew word for “worship.” It comes from the root word for “service” as well. Of course, in Jewish tradition these two thoughts naturally connect. Worship is not merely sitting in a pew and watching someone else worship God. It is better understood as a service that we offer to HaShem much like the priesthood of the ancient Temple.

www.kehilatariel.org...

I do not "worship," per se, for I work for no deity, ancient or modern. I work rather to bring truth and understanding to the masses, to rip from their eyes the blinders and veils that religious dogma has placed upon them. I do however give credence to the Earth Mother, the Goddess, and to the Father Sky/Sun, for all things provided for me. I could never bring myself to worship any false deity, such as Jesus, nor any Biblical God, for they were cruel and evil, and there is evidence that at least some of them are reptilians who posed as Gods.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I like that
thats why i like hanging out on ATS as well

IMHO warning IMHO warning

the temple services I mentioned
those things were originally done for the anti deluvian pre flood gods.
worshiping or working for the gods
the word ship relates here too

the sumerian tablets indicate that man was created to work for
and serve those "gods" by mining, growing and serving the food, etc

when the gods bugged out
king ship passed to 'eridu"
at first half man half gods with long lives
then after the flood when
that DNA "corruption" was wiped out by the gods.

the tradition of sacrifice in the temples was a continuation
of serving absent gods symbolically

check out the godess "core" another name for kali MA
virgin/ mother /and crone the creator of man in the sumerian.

Korea, corrupt ,corps, core, korn(given to man by the gods)
copus, corporation, in corperate, corelate, court, course( water and study), cord (umbilical and rope) etc

it is said that a bunch of elite actualy wrote Sheakespeare to
FIX the language
this is right there in many indo european root words in english

just look at the root word around the world
MA man woman matron ama mama matre maison (fr house) maman
mat map(antarctica no ice 15th century)

as you might guess i see the coruption
as a god half god problem
that is the original sin
where after the creation of man
they saw the daughters of man were comely
and that was the point where
the Coruption was introduced in to man SEXUALY
this produced the Titans
like Hercules Achilles
the MEN OF RENOWN
you may have been wondering about those
OUT OF PLACE ARTIFACTS
on another thread around here
the ones that we couldn't move today
well.....
some of these Titans were quite large and not dumb either
thats why they are accredited with teaching man stuff like fire and metallurgy and farming and writing and healing and law and
astronomy
(this is how the sumerians knew the details of the outer planets thousands of years before the telescope)

this is where the story gets picked up in the bible
though the bible portrays it as a thing man did and must atone for
I am in disagreement
I think that is blame the VICTIM
a manipulation to get us to bow to usurpers
instead of doing what god wanted for us which is
IMHO
to grow up and join the rest of the universe as a resonsible and adult race of beings honored and respectad and loved and welcomed by the rest of the universe
as a legitimate life form

if you want delve deeper
look into the bloodlines that suvived the flood with
ashburnipal /noah...

the book of enoch verifies much if not all of this
which is why only SOME of it made it into the bible

the white -virgin
the red - (menses) fertile matron
the black- kali the destroyer

these are decribed as dragons around the world
these blood lines claim desendancy from heaven

of the bloodline bankers we have been afflicted with since babylon
some have chosen Rothschild (red shield) as a passing nod to the heraldic tradition that describes this situation
this is why they are reputed to believe they are above humanity
because they have been breeding to keep these bloodlines pure

these version is echoed in pre white native myth here in North Anerica in a way that
is totally pertanant to what is going on today

all this is IMHO
so feel free to disect it any which way you choose
I've got much to back it up with if any are interested

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Worship...It demands expenditure of energy. Worship is not mere campfire singing. It requires focus and concentration of our faculties. "Be still, and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10*).

I wanted to dwell into this last part of what you extracted from that source to underline a strange contradiction in the words expressed in Psalms there.

"It demands expenditure of energy"

"It requires focus and concentration"

Ok, focus and concentration do not require "work", in fact they are just the opposite. If you are focusing on something, what are you doing exactly? squinting your eyes and moving your eyebrows along with being still and hardly breathing? Or is it just letting what you are doing affect you?

Everytime I hear someone talk about they "lost" focus. You cannot lose focus, but you can "change" your focus, by letting something "else" affect you. So when you see something that says, "focus requires work", it makes no sense, because the more energy you exert trying to capture what is there, you waste on letting it absorb you. Your focus isn't on "it" your focus is on trying to focus

"Be still and know that I am God"

Funny that is. It doesn't say "find" that I am God, it says "know". But maybe I'm only laughing because I parallel the scriptures with different meanings.

new topics

top topics

join