It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP buys Google, Yahoo search words

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Source

In their most tenacious effort to control the ‘spin’ on the worst oil spill disaster in the history, BP has purchased top internet search engine words so they can re-direct people away from real news on the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe.

BP spokesman Toby Odone confirmed to ABC News that the oil giant had in fact bought internet search terms. So now when someone searches the words ‘oil spill’, on the internet, the top link will re-direct them to BP’s official company website. This would not be the first time that BP has tried to control information to protect the company’s public image.

Shortly after the Deepwater Horizon exploded on April 20, 2010, BP executives quickly underestimated the size of the disastrous oil spill. Some suggest they did it to avoid costly EPA per-gallon spill fines. The less oil spilled, the lower the fines.

So instead of spending money on cleaning up, they use it to to hide the truth.

Stop using BP, it's that simple.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I had no idea you could do that? Perhaps people should google "Reliable news source" Stupid BP, why is everything about money!

Great thread btw.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
This kinda loweres the bar to a new level.

I do think it sounds like a bit of an urban myth though.

I tried a few searches and the BP site is nowwhere to be seen. I have my doubts that it is true but we will see over the next few weeks maybe.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I guess they didn't pay enough...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2feee35cf0d.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I also wasn't seeing the links. Thanks for taking a screenshot!!

But seems BP admitted to this all right:

abcnews.go.com... adcast/bp-buys-search-engine-phrases-redirecting-users/story?id=10835618

All goes back to an ABC news interview. I find a lot of references to that, but can;t source te origional article. The only ABC news URL i find tells me Access Denied. (possibly work inet sttings on my side)
abcnews.go.com... -videos-raise-questions/story?

But they are buy online, having a launched a you tubechannel too.

The twitter feed is not theirs though.
www.switched.com... p-twitter-account-pokes-fun-at-oil-spill-in-gulf-of-me

top topics

join