It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost World War Two Battlefield found -Dead Included

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Check this out guys This is an amazing and fascinating discovery. An Australian Trekker was hiking through the jungles of Papua New Guinea and stumbled upon the seventy year old site of a world war two battlefield, complete with the remains of Japanese soldiers who apparently died during this battle.

For any history fans such as myself this is an amazing window into the past and a great learning opportunity. They found one Japanese soldier still propped up against a tree, helmet on and everything.... Finally, these soldiers stories will be known.

Read the article, so interesting.

news.blogs.cnn.com...

[edit on 8-6-2010 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Great find. It's hard to imagine this has been overlooked for so long.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Loken68

the find is one thing which is very interesting
read the comments...the thread has some priceless ones
SanF for the whole thing

the place is full of live grenades
and the skeptics are wondering why the natives stayed awy
evil spirits indeed

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
G'day all,

Yes very cool, glad they will bring our boy's home finally.

The native's knew they were there but wouldn't go into the aria out of respect, to them the place was sacred.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Loken68

Not really. PNG has always remained very treacherous and untamed. There are more than a few unknown WW2 mysteries still unknown or locations of ships sunk that have not been found. Australia recently found the remains of a hospital ship, Centaur sunk by Japanese during WW2.

Hopefully with the discovery of this site in PNG the remains of these legendary warriors can be recovered and returned to their homeland for the proper burial they deserve.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
May they all rest in peace... Namo Amitabo..

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I have no doubt they are resting in peace, knowing that there stories will finally be known. They are no longer forgotten.

That said, may I ask you what Namo Amitabo means?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Interesting indeed!
I hope the site is properly investigated, what a time capsule!
I am also amazing that anything has survived for so long in the jungle. Can't wait for more detailed reports on this.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Its a buddhist expression in this case am using it to express respect for the japanese who died there as many japanese follow buddhism and shinto that they may find enlightenment or do better at reaching enlightenment in the next incarnation.
Also as an expression in the hope of peace and enlightenment for all.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Oh very cool. Thanks, I was just curious. Learn something new everyday

Anyway, I find my self going back and looking at these pictures, and this story is just so interesting I find it hard to believe that this is not being covered much more.... I guess the latest about Gary Coleman's death photo's is more important....... Who needs major historic discoveries, right?

Just think about it. An actual battle takes place, lives lost. A site long forgotten. Sure, it was known about by locals, but even they did not check it out. This is a HUGE find.

I hope to learn more about this forgotten battle and the people who fought/died in it.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Welcome .. Its always good learning new things am a firm believer in lifelong learning . Sadly it seems to be the culture these days people less interested in truth or the lessons of history easier to follow a 30sec sound bite than to spend the time in reading / researching a subject. There were a few cases over the years of japanese soldiers being found on islands in the pacific who didnt even know the war was over.. with how fast the jungle grows theres probably alot of islands with lost battlefields on them in the pacific. Was alot of heavy fighting there and alot of islands unexplored yet in the pacific. Few years ago in malaysia they found a cargo plane that went down during the malaysian emergency there . Just a shame the world is bent on forgetting the sacrifices those men made in ww2...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
There were a few cases over the years of japanese soldiers being found on islands in the pacific who didnt even know the war was over..

You know I have heard of such cases before... That is so interesting to me that the war can be over and they don't know it, and apparently no one knows they are there so no one tells them.... Just wow.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Most of the islands they found them on have been extremely remote and mostly uninhabited other than them. Usually its pure luck that a passing ship finds one of them. Last one I heard of was found in the 80s and returned home to japan. By now think very few left alive as their age catches up with them.. someday somebody may find the bodies or if they met and mixed with indiginous people on an island maybe their descendants..

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Yes, I imagine there are none left who are still "fighting". I had no idea there were any found as recently as the 80's I was thinking maybe a few years after the war ended at most.

Wow, can you imagine that? Being stuck on some island by yourself for that long? Having no idea that the war ended decades ago? Going about every day as you would if the war was still going?

Wow, I wonder how they managed to survive? I guess they were trained how to survive in the wilderness.... The thought is simply astounding...

History is so amazing. So amazing in fact as a species we seem hell bent on refusing to learn from the past and doomed to repeat it

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Given how crappy Japanese logistics were at the best of time anything resembling a sort of hospital at the front lines would have been in name only such as the shortage of medical supplies would have been . Still the fanaticism which included a very large willingness to die for there Emperor overrode the many hardships Japanese soldiers faced . I recently read The Ghost Mountain Boys by James Campbell . The book follows the experiences of some of those who served 32nd Division . I mention this because its the first American account of the PNG campaign that I would recommend to anyone .

This thread maybe of interest to those who like WW2 history .

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
There were still a group Japanese soldiers of up to platoon size "fighting" in the Philippines in the 1970s. They were raiding rural villages and stealing livestock before they were hunted down and killed or captured by the Philippine Constabulary.

Hell, there was even a group of up to battalion size hiding in the caves of Iwo Jima and Okinawa as late as mid 1946.

I once read an extremely intriguing article about the "Holdouts" as they were known in World War II Magazine a few years back. Ill look an see if they have the article online.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by ChrisF231]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

That is really neat, I hope you can find that article. I would love to read it.

History is so awesome. This is the kind of thing that you wont learn about in school... College yes, but the typical state run schooling system, Nope.

I keep going back to this article and reading it again, looking at the pictures. Just amazing.

new topics

top topics

join