It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Univ of Arizona launches The SOPHIA project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The long scientifically discredited field of parapsychology has enjoyed scarcely little success and acceptance from mainstream researchers.

Even some potentially compelling statistical data from ganzfeld experiments on telepathy and precognition as well as continued compiled data in transpersonal psychology and near death experiences have been ostracized and belittled.

With only two remaining American universities that offer academic study in the discipline (UVA and The University of Arizona), the opportunity to launch new areas of research has been a difficult task with many universities facing financial problems.

Thanks to an unnamed private endowment, The University of Arizona has now launched a research imitative dubbed The SOPHIA Project, which is being conducted under the direction of Gary E. Schwartz, PhD in the Laboratory for Advances in Consciousness and Health.

Since I am not really qualified to give much commentary on the work, the project overview is available here:
The SOPHIA project

I would also love to give you links to the PhD and Masters work from some of their research, but since it is off of subscription databases, it would just be a dead link. I can, however, copy academic research into PDF or Wordoc files and email it to you. I should probably warn you though, for non-scientific types, you may find reading a masters thesis on parapsychology to be boring.

However, there is a far less nerdy overview of the work of their dept. available here:
U of Arizona Parapsychology

join