It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

my broke school

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
So last year my highschool announced that they didnt have ANY money to buy printer paper so alot of classes stopped printing out assignments when it was all used up. Weird thing is that none of us understood is that a few weeks after that announcement they put security cameras in every building which definately costs quite a bit of money. Also since our school this year didnt make that many cuts and what not, next year they might cut all freshman sports teams, like 60 teachers district wide, and at least 10 days of school. Our schools havent had any remodeling except for exterior paint since 1982 and before that. The middleschool has asbestos in it. This is my first thread so all criticism and opinions welcome. although i would like most opinions about the main point here, buying security cameras when you cant supply printer paper.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
It just goes to show you where their priority's lie, ....

and thats not in education, it's plain ridiculous to spend money on security camera's and not basic school materials. You should get the word out there and hopefully the PTA will cause an uproar.

police officer's and now camera's in high school ?? my god things have changed, it's not a freaking juvenile detention center, when fights happen, they happen, and the students are arrested, how are camera's really going to curb crime or violence ??? students will know where they are and just avoid them. The school just wants to feel like their in control. I'm not saying you, but maybe some students should take a little trip to school one night, and spray paint all the camera's !!!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by smokn442

Someone thinks it is more important to get you kids used to being videotaped constantly than it is to teach you things that you will inevitably use.

That is what I'm getting from this.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
your so right! Like a normal fight at my school you get charged assault, they bring in drug sniffing dogs every month, always like 2 cops there. Also drugs is the biggest problem here. deals go down in the open basically, and other kids come high. Its crazy. And i would say the priorities are way wrong.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Your school is probably pulling the CAFR scam.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Bagatell

i dont think so. But im trying to figure out if somewhere there is a scam being played on us here. Im going to talk to my neighbor/lifelong best friend because he is ASB president so he will go to meetings and stuff next year. Also there was a weird situation at the beginning of the year but if you want to know that story you can message me.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by smokn442

Well it sounds like you are at the age where you are smart and mature enough to have realized that you are the only one who can actually be relied upon to educate yourself while at that school.

Once you accept that, you can start educating yourself.

It is up to you to get what education you can out of these indoctrination centres before they boot you out without one.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
people waking up to the "system" we live in ... "security" first ... right!

that just shows schools are useless, they just exist so they can keep your brain occupied with some useless information and misinformation

I believe it the education system should be totality different ... education is the most important thing and access to information too ... not videocameras

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I learn more on this site than i have at school this entire year. Math isnt a good program here. like the teachers just give you the assignment and dont explain it to you. Also to go with the money thing and this is an IMPORTANT DETAIL. They got rid of our block schedule (8 classes, 4 a day rotates classes everyday) to 7 periods a day this year. Either it wasnt that much of a save or they are doing something else with the money. Also heard middle school sports are being cut out. In middle school not everyone gets PE either and quite a few overweights here.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Thats exactly describing whats happening to me. Just the last few months ive 'awoken' to the 'system'. I have had huge fights with parents and teachers that school is useless and we dont reallly learn anything. MY english teacher probably the flyest teacher ive ever had agrees. But i used to be very smart and willing to do homework but not this year for some odd reason. It just would come to me. No i have this really weird feeling in my head like a fuzz blurry thing going on, sorry thats the best i can describe it =/. Some sort of brain manipulation? its something thats unexplinable to me

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
i guess the more wanna be gangsters they bust, the more money they will get indirectly, instead of the city budget. all the fines they accrue is way easier than their yearly budget. when the city gets all this money from busting it's own citizens because the every inch of the city is under a microscope, then yeah, that's the easy money.

also i notice your IGN is smokin442, and you talk about your school havin a real drug issue. i'm not gonna assume anything, but just don't do anything really stupid or get into things you simply shouldn't. you're young and healthy and have your whole life ahead of you (and i know you must be sick of hearing that, haha, but understand exactly what it means), and you have the frame of mind to come here and ask for advice, an care about your education.

i would do what other people said and take issue with the PTA, and be very serious about it. how is that even a school now if you can't even do assignments? it sounds just like a huge, sick day care that films you, and threatens you. school isn't where you should be policing these kids, and it's not the school's responsibility.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart
also i notice your IGN is smokin442

dont think i have an IGN that i remember of but its my PS3 online tag and i have nextgenboards and stuff. But the smokn is completely contrary. My dad made the account on ps3 and i just stuck with it on here and other places. the 442 is a car we have, hence smokn442 (hot car.) but yea everyone tells me about my whole life ahead of me haha good guess =P

[edit on 8-6-2010 by smokn442]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokn442
I learn more on this site than i have at school this entire year. Math isnt a good program here. like the teachers just give you the assignment and dont explain it to you.

Don't let them leave school until they've explained it to you.

If needs be, go to a remedial help room and get them to explain it to you.

There is no point in not doing that and you'll be better off for it.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Good this should have been done in the beginning. Why is your parents paying for an education when all of your learning is done at home?

Your school has gone green! Be thankful, your school is saving the rainforest.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
Be thankful, your school is saving the rainforest.

Are you joking?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
yea that happens to be a coincedence though that they are in a sense going green. but funding here is so bad that an art teacher had to teach english to save his friends job who was another art teacher. There is another instance of this happening but i cant remember the subjects sorry =/

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
The same exact thing happened when I still went to high school. Only a year ago.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
hey im in portland to, just curious but which school is this? and that fuzzynes is natural, no man can easily learn anything without the desire too, and as you realize how they lie to you, you lose the desire to listen, its natural man your just maturing learn on your own from here youll be greatly more succesfull.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Also to go along with the priority thing, they are laying off probably one of the most liked, popular, best history teacher at the highschool but they have enough money to build a brand new up-to-date computer lab, at the elementary school grades k-2
!!!!!! when i was there we never needed the computers, and this would be best computer lab in the district.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
No paper for assignments? Sounds like a lucky break to me.

I know where you're coming from though, my old high school constantly complained they were broke at board meetings, and then rallied for metal detectors and cameras in every corner of the hallway.

Ironically, around that time we were reading 1984 and I was the only one who made the connections as to how unnecessary it was. Then they called me a "tinfoil hat wearer", go figure.

<<   2 >>

join