It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clam boat pulls up canisters of mustard gas off NY, crew sickened

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Shore sounds like a blister agent. Most come from some form of mustard gas.
The real question is how did it get there and how long has it been there????

Examples of vesicant or blister agents with military designators in parentheses:

1. Mustard or Mustard Gas (H)
2. Sulfur Mustard (HD), characterized by delayed action
3. Sulfur Mustard with Agent T (HT), the latter is bis 2-(2) chloroethylthio ethyl ether, similar to HD in structure
4. Nitrogen Mustard (HN)
5. Lewisite (L), similar to sulfur mustard in action, except immediate effects occur within minutes
6. Mixture of Mustard and Lewisite (HL), the combination of sulfur mustard (37%) with Lewisite (63%) gives it garlic odor
7. Phenyldichloroarsine (PD), like Lewisite, it is an organic dichloroarsine
8. Phosgene Oxime (CX)—a pulmonary toxin with vesicant effects

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It just keeps getting worse and worse ....
Seems this dumping of govenment toxins and even artillery shells is nothing new.
Check out my link to documented finds in our oceans:

www.dailypress.com...

Quote from Daily Press article:
"What was long feared by the few military officials in the know had come to pass: Chemical weapons that the Army dumped at sea decades ago finally ended up on shore in the United States.

It's long been known that some chemical weapons went into the ocean, but records obtained by the Daily Press show that the previously classified weapons-dumping program was far more extensive than ever suspected.

The Army now admits that it secretly dumped 64 million pounds of nerve and mustard agents into the sea, along with 400,000 chemical-filled bombs, land mines and rockets and more than 500 tons of radioactive waste - either tossed overboard or packed into the holds of scuttled vessels."

Scary stuff!

[edit on 8-6-2010 by itsallmaya]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
As a veteran Air Force firefighter, the very first thing I would have reached for would be a Level-A suit. Then I'd have grabbed one of these and started through the steps. If it was mustard gas, it'd be readily apparent. I am confident that the Coast Guard did precisely the same thing.

Makes me wonder if we lost a ship carrying that stuff during WWI, or if we had some go overboard due to foul weather? It'd be interesting to know if this was an accidental placement, or deliberate. It's one thing if it accidentally went overboard and just lay at the bottom of the ocean, and entirely another if it was deliberately placed there by the government to (improperly) dispose of it.

Regardless, their coordinates need to be logged and the Navy needs to return with submersibles to retrieve whatever remains at that site. I seriously doubt that they got everything down there. If a ship went down in WWI, it's entirely likely that much more will remain on site, and it'll need to be secured. This stuff shouldn't be out there for anyone to obtain, intentionally, or accidentally.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Interesting point- considering the almost permanent loss, of the Gulf Coast shellfish industry. Mmmm... kill-off all the seafood, force-feed us GMO food, destroy our petrochemical industry, so we can't have any mobility- sure looks like "The New Serfdom", to me!

Those canisters, no telling what they are. NYC has used the Atlantic Ocean, as a dump, for a few hundre years, now. Got some toxic waste?? Why spend thousands of USD$, to legally dispose of it? Just dump it in Davey Jones Locker! If you are careful, it will never be traced!
Seems like a big fishing boat, would have had a hazmat kit, to isolate and keep one of those "cannisters", for analysis. Too bad, but there is probably enough residue, to identify it. Hope they can recover those other cannisters, though. Good Luck, to the fishermen, effected!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Serious Problem here,

I saw Documentary a few years back about the Dumping of barrels of left over mustard gas, or something like it, etc into the ocean South of Nova Scotia. Barrels have about a 50 year life submerged and in the elements, which is right about now.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
My guess is that this is another example of true domestic terrorism -- the kind where the actions of our own government puts us in danger yet again.

In 1972, the United States Congress banned the practice of disposing chemical weapons into the ocean. However, 64 million pounds of nerve and mustard agents had already been dumped into the ocean waters off the United States by the U.S. Army. According to a 1998 report created by William Brankowitz, a deputy project manager in the U.S. Army Chemical Materials Agency, the Army created at least 26 chemical weapons dump sites in the ocean off at least 11 states on both the west and east coasts (Operation CHASE, Operation Geranium, etc.). Additionally because of poor records, they currently only know the rough whereabouts of half of them.

Source:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I remember reading that countries such as North Korea, Iraq, Iran, Syria etc all have currently got chemical weapons such as mustard gas.

And we're not talking about a few cannisters, we're talking about hundreds of tonnes of the stuff.

We should be more concerned about getting rid of that rather than a few barrels on the seabed from nearly a hundred years ago!

I think all toxic waste including nuclear should be jettisoned into deep outer space. We'll never see it again and it will take thousands of years to get close to anybody else. Will keep our planet clean too!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkey53
I remember reading that countries such as North Korea, Iraq, Iran, Syria etc all have currently got chemical weapons such as mustard gas.

And we're not talking about a few cannisters, we're talking about hundreds of tonnes of the stuff.

We should be more concerned about getting rid of that rather than a few barrels on the seabed from nearly a hundred years ago!

Yeah, by all means, let's go invading other countries and rid them forcefully of their mustard gas, while all the while watching our own wash up on the shores and mixed in with the seafood we eat!

How about this for a change in policy:

We clean up our own damn messes first and let the rest of the world worry about theirs!

I'm sorry, but we have completely and utterly destroyed this planet and the hypocrisy of us telling other countries what they can and can not do, when we do the same thing has grown old and tiresome in my opinion.

I realize that other countries could attack us with mustard gas, etc., but does it really matter if our own government kills us first?

Never mind, they'll blame someone else anyway....

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

That is a very good point. Maybe these men unknowingly took one for the team so to speak. I think there needs to be a lot of investigation into this but i am almost certain the issue will disappear very soon because whoever planted those there probably will pay good money to not have their names thrown around. Its a shame that the day and time we live in people are more worried about money than being told the TRUTH. I would give every dollar i have and would ever make in my lifetime to know all the secrets this country keeps

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Copperflower

I would be concerned with releasing such sensitive information to the public. From my perspective, and i am a government worker, that should be protected information which would fall under national security.

This incident seems very small, and non-consiratorial, however interesting nonetheless. I wonder what the chemical was, i also hope everyone is ok.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by EspyderMan]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Poor munitions disposal laws in the past are very real. The company I work for does a rather lot of work for the government, cleaning up old munitions, and even entire missiles buried to be forgotten. Now that they must adhere to many commercial laws, a lot of Federal work involves wastewater, groundwater and soil treatment and cleanup. Big business for the environmental companies.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I don't believe you and i do not need to exsplain myself. I hope the fisherman are ok. Are they still in the hospital?

[edit on 8-6-2010 by nite owl]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thedarklingthrush

For years Mafia was running illegal chemical disposal business getting rid
of hazardous waste. For fee would make it disapear.....

Years ago was warehouse in Elizabeth IIRC where store the stuff - one day was mysterious fire at location. Still talked about in NJ fire departments

Many of the men at that fire later came down with all sort of strange illness and cancers

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
That is just like in Return of the Living Dead, soon the Zombie Wars should begin ...
I'm waiting for the Emergency Broadcast System to go online any minute now.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thedman

That is terrible news. These thugs need to go to jail putting this kind of stuff in the oceans. If i was in the coast guard and seen this happenning, I definately would arrest them.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I find it hilarious that as little as a few months ago, anyone who cared about the earth was a "treehugger", "hippie", or someone who "bought into the global warming myth". Now those same people that used to mock (Im looking at you, southern US) are crying about their precious wildlife and mother earth.

We tried to warn you, and you mocked us. We saw what was coming, and were called as worse as "traitors" for it.

Stew in it, #ers.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by aching_knuckles]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkey53

I think all toxic waste including nuclear should be jettisoned into deep outer space. We'll never see it again and it will take thousands of years to get close to anybody else. Will keep our planet clean too!

Im sorry to say, your thinking is dumb.

First off, ever hear the saying "Before worrying about the splinter in my eye, worry about the branch in yours?" Who are we to tell anyone what to do, when we cant even take care of ourselves?

Furthermore:
"I think all toxic waste including nuclear should be jettisoned into deep outer space. We'll never see it again and it will take thousands of years to get close to anybody else. Will keep our planet clean too!"

Are you #ing serious? That what they thought when they dumped it in the ocean.....

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tie No Bows!

Any of the UK guys who are ex MIl will be aware of the requirement to show proficency in NBC, by being exposed to CN I believe, rather than CS which most guys tended to call it anyway. An unpleasant shock for the wife when she opened the bag containing your NBC gear for washing was always a crowd pleaser too.

However IM pretty certain that the only country to train with and expose men to 'live' chemicals in training were the former USSR! Cant quite see run of the mill NBC running a quick spray of Sarin, Sonam or Tabun just for realism, so in what circumstances you would expect to find 'nerve gas' with a leaky valve in a training facility leaves me stumped.

Follow that up with your ' I'de tell you but I would have to kill you' answer to another member rings that big BS bell for me?

I know both the UK and the USA blatantly disregard the standing treaties on NBC testing and storage with impunity, but even thats in secure research facilities, not in some ill-maintained facility for 'first responders'!!!

Prove me wrong by all means...?

US military men and women know full well about NBC training and CS.
I had basic training at Ft Dix, NJ in 1990, and the drill seargants liked to have fun with the stuff. Not only did we endure the gas chamber, but many times they'd release cannisters on us and make us stand at attention until they gave the order to deploy masks. We were extremely proficient with MOPP by the end of training let me assure you.
I remember one very hot day at basic, that they had us in full MOPP gear and then made us do side-straddle hops and push-ups (with M-16
s resting on our hands of course) for what seemed liked hours.

Every now and then, when out walking in the city, I will catch a smell that triggers the memory of the CS smell...not good memories either.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Nice, I told you So attitude, If it was not for all the "Tree Huggers" we wouldn't need to drill in such deep Water... Nice try. In Fact we can't do anything without having to go through so much environmental red tape, it isn't even worth it. This oil spill is bad for everyone. I'm sure your happy about it, cause you get to say your right. but your not right. The Green movement is just another way to take away freedom.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I recently watched an old movie called Doomwatch. The premise was that a chemical disposal company was dumping barrels of chemicals in a restricted Naval undersea dump where radioactive waste was already at the bottom. The radiation excited the chemicals and the cannisters burst and affected the algae and fish, which the isolated islanders ate, and then became affected and crazy. The islanders thought they were getting sick and deformed because their self-imposed isolation caused inevitable inbreeding and they were being punished by the creator.
It was a rather good movie imo. Not quite science-fiction because it was a plausible scenario. More like science-faction docudrama.

Doomwatch IMDB

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join