It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perception of God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Not really sure how to title this thread as it deals with two fold questions of which one of the questions relate to what has been happening to me in the past and as of late. To start things off I will start in the past and only talk of what will be necessary to the question at hand. Any other information not pertaining to the question can be asked and will answer so long as it isn't to probing.

In the past after leaving a Catholic high school and partaking of Philosophy as my major in college my perception of god/God has been very wavy. It was as if a battle was raging in my mind that went from 'Oh it exists' to 'oh there just isn't a possible explanation.' For the year and a few months I was in college that question pretty much raged throughout my mind. It wasn't long before my needle in my mind began to point toward the 'There just any possible way...' side of the argument.

It was at that moment that something strange began to happen while at work. A shopper who I believe was banned from the store [to this day I'm not 100% sure if he's allowed in or not] came in. At first he seemed like a person just shopping for the usual necessities of food and drink, but when he got to the counter he began to give praise. Like other people who would witness and who have they would instantly throw him off as someone with a few marbles short so to speak. At that time I figured it would be the last I'd ever see of him but little did I know for quite some time he would always come into the store doing practically the same thing. Giving praise and talking of counting his blessings.

For quite at least a year I believe if not a year very close to. This shopper has been doing this praise and even once talked to me of bible scriptures for at least 30 minutes in one of the aisles. This was all happening in the midst of still not believing in the tri-omni being that had made everything. If I was say whether this was helpful or not I would have to say that perhaps this pushed me away from the idea of a being out there instead of toward. For the past few days I have not seen this guy and have not heard from him either.

Skip forward to a bit of the present. It wasn't to long ago that I told one of my coworkers that I had stopped believing in god/God and I was done. This is when things really became interesting in the line of work. Two Jehovah witnesses came into the store and handed out a pamphlets, of which I had to a coworker who was part of that faith/group. It wasn't until today that I actually began to move that needle away from 'there is no possibility' back to the middle.

A gentleman came into the store once for photos to be processed or something of the sort and left, but then came back for shopping. It was at this instance that we began to talk for a bit after ringing up another person in front of him. At first it was a talk about how people seem to be losing their 'courteous' self. From then it seemed to progress into a small and very brief talk of the end-times [I would say that it would perhaps span two and half paragraphs of a post on ATS out of a whole page of posts. Very short like I stated.] Slowly began to progress into biblical passages and for some reason my ears just began to open and I actually listened unlike the people before I seemed to be interested in it. After a while we began to talk of the universe as well and even so he told me of an astronomical find about black holes to which I am trying to find a bit now as I type but will look after posting. Not only that but began to talk of the 4th Dimension, the one we all know as Time but I did not say anything for I wanted to hear what he said. Angels are battling in the midst of the dimension for some reason I cocked my head to the side and just listened for a moment, and began to think on the things I had heard.

For the most part of the conversation he gave me a few scriptures to which I actually wrote down as well which is a first. Then talked of something interesting, which was by looking at a person and telling which African tribe they perhaps have come from by looking to the features. Maybe it's because I never really look at people for more than a minute, but I found it somewhat interesting as well. After prolonged talk the person left the store leaving my mind to muse over everything I had taken in.

On the way to an eatery after my shift was over I began to take the long way home trying to find a reason as to why all this was actually happening. It just feels as if there might be something out there, but at the same time I'm still not sure. Now I'm just not sure on which track to think of this and I guess this is the reason for posting on ATS to get various minds to muse over it with me if they so choose to.

Now I know I wrote a lot and it probably still won't satisfy a lot so do feel free to ask questions, as well as posting your own stories related to something of faith. Which was a bit of the real intention of this thread as well.

PS. I think I put this in the right spot but not to sure. It didn't seem like a religious conspiracy so not really sure if it belonged there or not.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
First...do you have someone praying for you? A parent or parents?... Maybe a friend? These are prayers being answered. God works in mysterious ways, and often times, quite literally.

Second... Do you believe in angels? Sometimes, they appear to try and guide us and give direction. Reflect on what you just wrote and experienced. Someone is trying to send you a message.

Third... you sound as if you are relatively young...at least in comparrison to me. It is normal for people to have doubts, to question what you believe...that is normal, and it is good. The fact that you are rationalizing your thoughts and what you see happening around you means you are open to God's little hints and haven't pushed Him out .... not yet. Trust me, God will prove He is real.

Lastly, since you are still young, your life still lies mostly in front of you. You will have many wonderful and terrible things happen to you, that is the nature of life. I can assure you that God is real, and sometime in the years to come, you will have nothing to lean on but faith...that is when God will reveal how real He is. It will be wonderful to know that you do not walk alone.

All of these things I can say because I have suffered many times, terrible things, tragedies, dissappointments, bad decisions, everyday life. But I have also been richly blessed, enjoyed things I never dreamed of, and realized that God is a pretty smart ol' fella and really does know best.

One example, 1993 I married a beautiful blonde from NJ...loved that woman so. She made my heart and stomach jump everytime i saw her and talked to her. We had my little farm I owned, she had a big ol' house in town. We married and decided after a year to move to the country,...well, it wasn't long before her idea of country wasn't my idea of country. It went down hill after that....

Despite my prayers, we divorced and I was heart broken. I felt betrayed by her and God...I tried so hard to make it work.

Fast forward 3 years, I met another blonde...from NJ...unusual as I live in NC. We married. We did move to the country and bought a big farm...just literally on the other side of the hill, unbeknownst to me, from where I was looking about 4 years previous.

I realized then God has a sense of humor and irony. We have lived happily there for over 10 years now.

Great line from Stephen King's The Stand...."You may not believe in God, but He believes in you."

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
A long time ago I formed an opinion and it hasn't wavered since ...

Everything on this planet can be explained scientifically. So can everything in the solar system, the galaxy, and the universe ... but that's where it stops. I can not begin to comprehend how the universe can go on forever, and if it's only so big, then, what's on the other side. I can not begin to understand what existed before the universe existed.

Science has a lot of theories about the universe - but we really don't know ... it's like superstring theory - it's all based on convenient math that mostly works, so we go with it.

On faith.

And like the universe, I don't think we have the capacity to understand a being that is all-seeing and all-knowing that created everything we have ever known.

To make things more confusing, both science and God have been used for personal gain by far too many people who understand their power to sway the masses and manipulate those who are searching for answers.

So you can choose to believe. Or not to.

Either way, You're gonna need a little faith.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

I probably have someone praying for me I suppose, my mother has stated she does and I'm sure my family done South do as well.

On this part I thought of that as well, actually the vibe I got on the way home was something of I am supposed to meet with someone soon. Over the past few days I have been feeling a bit bored and isolated from people because of my current life. Which is work and go home when I just recently added martial arts back into the equation. So for the past few days as well as months it's been a loner experience.

Yeah I'm 21 so yep relatively young to a lot of people and at that age when things are questioned a bit harder than they were before. That's how I'm starting to see it as well and began to look at it from that angle. It's either that or people just love to talk about god/God. Either way still not to sure.

Wow, pretty interesting story! So pretty much a stone toss away from where you were before. I've always wondered though if god/God means for us to be happy, why include sorrow into the lives? Sometimes it seems as if it does not take sorrow to fully enjoy happiness, as sometimes happiness is not really experienced by all.

Great quote also
and thank you for the insight and sharing.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Sometimes when we ask questions, .... The universe answers.

Do not take them literaly, and be drawn to a certain faith, but instead allow them to open your mind and take you where you need to go.

The world cannot be explained logicaly. Other dimensions cannot be experienced on a physical level, throw the material reality aside every now and then, and be born again, unto new worlds.

Seek, and ye shall find. Goodluck.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by area6

That was the way I was thinking just as well while working at least if one were to ask me about certain things in the universe I would turn to science. The same with the Earth as well seeing as just before I left I explained Lake Erie to my mother glaciers and all.

Seems like faith is pretty much used in every method, but would depend on how much of it you put on one or another before coming to terms with it. Man having the choice to believe or not to. Sometimes, I began to think things were a lot easier when I was younger even though I was being "force-fed" it was still easier.

Thank you for the post

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

I don't think I understand quite fully as the notion of 'the universe answers'. I mean I feel something when I look up like I did when I arrived home, but I don't 100% understand it. If you could elaborate please.

For the most part I wasn't taking everything literally learned very early not to do that, would be very dangerous to do so.

That is an interesting way to put it as well.

The world cannot be explained logicaly. Other dimensions cannot be experienced on a physical level, throw the material reality aside every now and then, and be born again, unto new worlds.

It seems almost like what that guy tonight was getting at, thought worded differently they seem almost on the same plane. Very interesting and thank you for sharing the input in this thread. Greatly appreciate it and all the replies

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I was reading your replies, and you say that sometimes or somethings make you turn to science. Too often, people believe that if you have faith in God, you can not believe in science. Not true.

I believe God made all things, and they fit the scientific mold. For instance, the creation story. It follows the same pattern as evolution...life in the seas, to primitive life on land, the last thing God created was man. That is the same order of events that science portrays.

Science speaks of dinosaurs..God speaks of Behemoth in Book of Job. Science speaks of seasons and cycles... so does Ecclessiastes.
Science supports ancient polar shifts...so does the Bible.

Again, good luck in your search.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Hmm when you do put it that way it seems as if there is a bit of an over-lap or at least similarity in both of the models that have been presented. Thanks for chiming back in, I'll have to actually find my bible somewhere and search through it for a while.

new topics

top topics

join