It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10: the most disturbing horror flicks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Mine are:
1) DeadAlive -- only horror film ever to make me actually vomit
2) Halloween 4-6 -- the sheer meanness and sadism...
3) The Blob -- tons of ultra-gory, gooey imagery, & breaks the taboo of actually killing a little kid
4) The Exorcist III -- full of upsetting imagery that really bothers you days after viewing it
5) Dawn of the Dead (original) -- that scene with the pilot turned into a zombie and limping over w/the gun in his shaky hand really did me in
6) Event Horizon -- not technically a horror movie but very gory & disturbing nonetheless
7) Nightmare on Elm Street -- really visceral imagery, still scares me whenever I watch it
8) The Cell/House On Haunted Hill remake (weren't these made by the same director?) -- low on substance, but presenting one disturbing sadistic image after another
9) Red Dragon -- funny, Hannibal I can actually watch as a campy horror flick. Dragon was just humorless and mean and deeply disturbing
10) From Dusk Till Dawn -- a bit too mean & relentless to be enjoyed by me as a campy horror flick...also breaks the "child killing" taboo

Unofficial 11) And an unpopular choice as a "horror movie" to be sure but...Kill Bill Vol. 1 -- I remember being given a top secret viewing dvd for this when the movie first came out...I watched about 10 minutes of it and then I just decided I didn't need to see that much violence in my life. It was just this quick, snap decision. Everyone tells me I'm missing out.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I remember watching a film/documentry thing called "executions", very sick film and very voilent stuff

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
only film on that list that i aggree with is Event Horizon, i cant actually watch that without havin a nightmares after lol, just the video when they decode the capitains log, freaks me out eveyrtime!!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Disturbing? I can't really say that I recall any films distrubing me, but here is a list for the hell of it.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original only)
Evil Dead 2
Hellraiser (1 & 2 only)
Basketcase (can't recall which one was the best, but they are all pretty ridiculous)
Night/Day/Dawn/Return of the Living Dead
The Thing (remake)
American Werewolf In London
Re-animator / From Beyond
Brain Damage
Street Trash
Demon / Demons 2
Night of the Demons
Pumpkinhead
The Howling (1 only)
basicly all the 80s gore films

AND
Night of the Lepus (if you want to laugh your ass off)

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original only)

that film was made just to be voilent. Every time i walk in a DIY store i think leather face is going to jump out with a chainshaw

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Oh, I have one on the disturbing side that after hearing people talk about I decided not to even watch it (two much appearent violence towards women). It is the Guinea Pig series. Has anyone seen them?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
im with Jonna on this one, not many films disturb or upset me anymore, theres so much gore stuff ive seen online now e.g. Nick Berg (sorry if that offends anyone) that films just dont do anythin for me now on the shock front

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Actually, after 911 my ability to get disturbed by horror movies was greatly numbed, but I've managed to work my way back to squeamishness and disturbability. The Nick Berg thing I can't even watch. Though I watched clips from this show in the UK about a televised autopsy and that didn't really bother me.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassie Clay
The Nick Berg thing I can't even watch

I have been so desensitized to gore that the video you refer to only bothered me because I realized that it was real, but was not upset by the images themselves.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
John Carpenter's The Thing is probably the only film that slightly disturbed me. Well, it didn't really disturb me to tell you the truth. The movie didn't scare me at all in fact. It was just that after the movie, I kept on thinking there might be some walking heads on the ground somewhere (hopefully you know what I'm talking about, lol).

I was 8 at the time, so I usually let my imagination run rampant. But, I have never been truly frightened by a movie - the over-the-top fake gore in movies makes me laugh too much.

Now, real pain and suffering, I am never comfortable with.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassie Clay
Actually, after 911 my ability to get disturbed by horror movies was greatly numbed, but I've managed to work my way back to squeamishness and disturbability. The Nick Berg thing I can't even watch. Though I watched clips from this show in the UK about a televised autopsy and that didn't really bother me.

I saw that, was kinda amusing, especially when he slided the dead guys brain up... with a bread knife, exactly the same as the one we have!!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I must be wierd or something, I thought Deadalive was one of the funniest movies ever. I liked Hellraiser, the Subspeices flicks were good. The only movie that actually scared me was It's Alive, then I was only about 12 when it came out, way before being desencitized by the hack-em-ups.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
watching the exorcist and rosemary's baby as a 9 year old kid really freaked me out and had me scared for nights.

now...none of the horror movies affect me the way those did.

and oh yeah Freddy did give me nightmares for a week while in junior high.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I must be wierd or something, I thought Deadalive was one of the funniest movies ever. I liked Hellraiser, the Subspeices flicks were good. The only movie that actually scared me was It's Alive, then I was only about 12 when it came out, way before being desencitized by the hack-em-ups.

Dead Alive, or Brain Dead as its called in the UK is effin hillarious!!!!! The Zombi Baby is great, the classic line "I Kick arse for the lord"

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stuey1221
Dead Alive, or Brain Dead as its called in the UK is effin hillarious!!!!! The Zombi Baby is great, the classic line "I Kick arse for the lord"

That's Peter Jackson for you.

Try Meet The Feebles for something completely different.

I notice there aren't many watchers of "foreign" cinema in these parts. Have you all swallowed Hollywood B-grade hook, line and sinker?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Originally posted by Stuey1221

That's Peter Jackson for you.

Try Meet The Feebles for something completely different.

I notice there aren't many watchers of "foreign" cinema in these parts. Have you all swallowed Hollywood B-grade hook, line and sinker?

The only foreign stuff ive seen is Battle Royal 1 and 2 and Ichi the killer, your basic japanese 'more blood and gore than is needed' type of film

Did ya ever spot the cameo by PJ in BrainDead/DeadAlive, when his mums in the morgue n all the embalming fluid's sprayin everywhere the fat dude is PJ ! Kinda amusing really

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
These all terrified me when I first saw them, some I was probably too young to see at the time.
I don't think they have quite the same effect the second time around though.

28 days later
American werewolf in london (the bit in the underground
)
wrong turn
amytiville
The thing
The people under the stairs
The evil dead
Candyman (there's no way you'll get me saying that in front of a mirror)
The haunting (definatly the original, the rapping on the door scene is so much scarier in it)
and darkness falls.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
watching the exorcist and rosemary's baby as a 9 year old kid really freaked me out and had me scared for nights.

now...none of the horror movies affect me the way those did.

and oh yeah Freddy did give me nightmares for a week while in junior high.

I'm of the same generation. Those movies in the 70's and early 80's changed us I do believe.

I was like 9 when I saw JAWS in the theater. And it was NOT SAFE to go in the water after. I saw THE SHINING around the same time. But the psychological stuff always got to me most.

PSYCHO!!!
But by highschool, it took Hellraiser or Freddy to give me nightmares, which they did.

Then the Evil Dead series just made it all an art form and nothing has scared me since.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
28 Days Later is one of my fave films, Danny Boyle did a real good job with that, the little twists in it n stuff made for a really good film

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Movies don't really disturb me, but I remember Pet Cemetary scared the crap outta me when I was young. Oh and Arachnophobia too. Spiders just freak me out.

Anyone here seen an old movie called Cannibal Holocaust ? I think I remember it wasn't really an horror movie, but it was pretty gory and disgusting.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join