It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf oil disaster cleanup to take years, Allen says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Gulf oil disaster cleanup to take years, Allen says

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Workers scraped oil off beaches and skimmed it out of waterways from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle on Monday, but the impact of the Gulf oil disaster will be felt for years, authorities said.

"My concern is after everything is cleaned up, if they can clean it all up, and they leave, what is our business going to be like?" said Dudley Gaspard, owner of the Sand Dollar Marina and Hotel on hard-hit Grand Isle, Louisiana. "Oil's coming in pretty heavy, into the marsh area now, and we're not sure -- we're kind of in the dark."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
BP's extremely long list of violations (in only a few short years)

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Restoring wetlands and wildlife habitats along the Gulf Coast will take far beyond the time needed to cap the ruptured undersea well at the heart of the disaster, Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, the head of the federal government's response effort, told reporters at the White House.

"Dealing with the oil spill on the surface is going to go on for a couple of months. After that it'll be taken care of," Allen said. "Long-term issues of restoring the environment and the habitats and stuff will be years."

Workers involved in the cleanup face possible long-term health hazards without proper protective gear, and the region's environment may retain hazardous chemicals left behind by the spill, witnesses told members of Congress during a hearing in Louisiana.

On Day 49 of the spill, heavy oil was spotted off Louisiana's Barataria Bay, near the mouth of Wilkinson Bay and in nearby Four Bayou Pass, the state Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness reported. Mississippi state agencies reported tar balls hitting the Mississippi coast at several points, while more tar balls ranging in size from less than an inch to about four inches across hit the Florida Panhandle, the Escambia County Commission said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As each and every day goes by, we are learning more and more of the magnitude of this disaster. I'm afraid that we don't even realize just how big this thing actually is, even though we think we do. I'd be willing to bet that it takes far longer than even several years. I'll bet that this takes decades, if we ever accomplish such a goal. God, I hope I'm wrong!

--airspoon

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I sometimes wonder if any of those who are in charge of stopping this and the clean up have any clue as to what they are talking about.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
We just passed the Exxon Valdez's 21 year anniversary and there are parts of Alaska that are still feeling the effects of the event.

Yeah.. it's gonna take years.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Yeah because cleaning it up in a matter of weeks and restoring the environment with a simple proven method we've had for decades makes to much sense:

[edit on 7-6-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Yes. And ARLIS, the Alaska Reources Library and Information Services has just released a report this month, June 2010, with comprehensive details on the Valdez spill, not easily found anywhere else all assembled in one resource.

From one section of the report:
How many animals died outright from the oil spill?
"“No one knows. The carcasses of more than 35,000 birds and 1,000 sea otters were found after the spill, but since most carcasses sink, this is considered to be a small fraction of the actual death toll. The best estimates are: 250,000 seabirds, 2,800 sea otters, 300 harbor seals, 250 bald eagles, up to 22 killer whales, and billions of salmon and herring eggs.”

If you want to see the behind the scene details, and what will probably happen with this new Gulf Coast spill, I have started a thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by broahes
We just passed the Exxon Valdez's 21 year anniversary and there are parts of Alaska that are still feeling the effects of the event.

Yeah.. it's gonna take years.

Not true. The area has rebounded. It did take a long time however.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I respectfully disagree, not that I don't value your first hand knowledge and experience.

Article

Article

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I have heard over and over again that there were still problems in Alaska, as a direct result of the oil spill, though I have not been there so I can't really say for sure one way or another. Generally, when there is smoke, there is fire.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

and one more:

"A report marking the twentieth anniversary of the spill has found oil still persists in the region and, in some places, quote, “is nearly as toxic as it was a few weeks after the spill.” The report was put together by the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Trustee Council, which oversaw restoration efforts. It states, quote, “At this rate, the remaining oil will take decades and possibly centuries to disappear entirely.”

And twenty years after the disaster, litigation against Exxon continues to drag on. In 1994, an Alaskan jury found Exxon responsible and ruled the company should pay $5 billion in punitive damages to some 33,000 plaintiffs. Exxon appealed. In 2006, the 9th US Circuit Court cut the award of punitive damages in half to $2.5 billion. Then, in a 5-to-3 ruling last June, the Supreme Court cut the amount of punitive damages again and ordered Exxon Mobil to pay just $500 million in punitive damages, one-tenth of the original jury’s ruling. That equates to about four days of Exxon Mobil’s net profits. "

Source: www.democracynow.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

There are two things in play here. The families who are still trying to get more money and the more radical Environmental Groups who have used Exxon as a cash cow for decades. You might find a tiny bit of oil here and there if you spend days looking, but the environment is thriving. The Hulligans (smelt) are back en mass, which means the Salmon and Whales follow.

Much of what comes from environmental groups here is pure bunk these days. The Caribou Herds are back which pisses them off. The Polar Bear have gone from a few hundred to thousands and that pisses them off but they won a law suit through a stupid judge anyway. The Salmon Runs that were supposed to be gone by now are often reaching record numbers when the real counts are done.

Wolves are so out of control that they are now endangering all the herd animals and pose a greater risk than humans. Even so they fight to stop the Wolf control programs.

People who don't know what the truths are up here are easily fooled and you are being lied to constantly. The Slope workers now have to have armed guards to protect them against the Polar Bears and that has never happened before.

The Polar Bear DO NOT die off on low ice years. The incredible rebound of their numbers is proof of that. They simply do what they have done for eon's. They find alternate food sources by encroaching on the Grizzly Bear and Wolves territories feeding on weak herd animals. Historically they have ranged as far south as the Glennallen area.

The video of ANWR shown to Congress was of an area 180 miles south of the proposed drilling sites. The actual site is a salt marsh that is home to nothing but mosquitoes. The whole Caribou argument is a bald faced lie. They even imported (they, being the DNC) 100 Native Americans up to Nome to stage a protest back in about 2002. None of them Alaskans. The news (being CNN) forgot to tell people that though. They were in on the lie. It made the front page of the local paper which is weird since they are in the DNC's' pocket as well. It was one lie to many for them also. 101 Natives protested and only one was from Alaska and they wonder why they are hated.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I stand corrected by someone with much more knowledge firsthand than I have.

Nice post Blaine.

Edit to say:

I will take first hand knowledge from an upstanding member here on ATS any day above the MSM. Thanks again.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by broahes]

top topics

join