It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What If An Oil Leak Naturally Occurred Due To An Earthquake?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Just sitting here thinking to myself, in the off hand chance that a large fault opened up in the ocean due to a large tremor, and oil spilled out into the ocean.... " Who would the media blame then"?
Also, would the disaster even make the news, or would we all just hear about it later, when the underwater plumes eventually made the surface, or even perhaps, would the ocean simply take of it herself, with no help from us at all..... Just a thought....

[edit on 7-6-2010 by freetree64]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
According to this...... seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov...

62 million gallons a year are leaked into our Oceans via nature. I do not know if a natural direct leak has ever been recorded or even theorized. But it could happen.

And if it was a large fissure, it could not be blocked.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

In a paper presented at the 2000 Ocean Sciences Meeting in San Antonio, Texas, and titled Estimates of Total Hydrocarbon Seepage into the Gulf of Mexico Based on Satellite Remote Sensing Images, one researcher estimated that 500,000 barrels of oil seep into the Gulf each year, twice the result of the Exxon Valdez spill. That seepage is not addressed by any government, and mitigation efforts are non-existent.
Source

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
well that particular oil well was 1 mile deep and 5 miles under the crust.
not much chance of it leaking out barring the kind of upheaval that would leave it as the least of our problems

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Nice thread, I had actually thought the same thing a few days ago.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Oil deposits took millions of years to form, at least according to non creationists. So they have been through millions of years of earthquakes. They are just so far down that I think it's unlikely. But apparently there are already leaks? have to read up on that. I still don't think it's likely. kinda like asking if plutonium could refine itself in a volcano and then go critical. Well yeah anything could happen. But the odds are really long...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

well that particular oil well was 1 mile deep and 5 miles under the crust.
not much chance of it leaking out barring the kind of upheaval that would leave it as the least of our problems

It would not take an upheaval. It would just take a crack.

New fault lines form from time to time. And old ones become dormant
All it would take is just a new fault line forming through an oil deposit.

At 15,000 PSI, once a flow starts, it will widen the channel by erosion/etching.

Look where the San Andreas Fault comes to the surface. That crack you see at the top, goes all the way down. If there was an oil deposit at the bottom, it would come right up.

That is why the seeps off the coast of California are just slow seeps now. They are in fractured ground (along the San Andreas). They have already bled out all the pressure. I wonder what happened when the fault lines going through those areas first formed. I can guaranty that it wasn’t a slow seep after the first earthquakes.

The Gulf of Mexico is not very active (earthquake wise). The oil rich areas are on one solid plate. If we had a large new fault cut through the Gulf, then we would have more oil coming out from that crack, than we even dreamed existed..

kinda like asking if plutonium could refine itself in a volcano and then go critical. Well yeah anything could happen. But the odds are really long...

Uh....... not that long. It has already happened in places.
And you you don't need Pu, all you need is uranium.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
That is why the seeps off the coast of California are just slow seeps now. They are in fractured ground (along the San Andreas). They have already bled out all the pressure. I wonder what happened when the fault lines going through those areas first formed. I can guaranty that it wasn’t a slow seep after the first earthquakes.

The world's largest known single natural oil seep is off the coast of California- Coal Oil Point.

The Coal Oil Point seep field offshore from Santa Barbara, California is a petroleum seep area of about three square kilometers adjacent to the Ellwood Oil Field, and releases about 40 tons per day of methane and about 19 tons of reactive organic gas (ethane, propane, butane and higher hydrocarbons), about twice the hydrocarbon air pollution released by all the cars and trucks in the county in 1990. The liquid petroleum produces a slick that is many kilometers long and when degraded by evaporation and weathering, produces tar balls which wash up on the beaches for miles around.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

There would be no one to blame, nature is nature, when my cat eats a mouse, I don't expect my cat to pay the mouses' family compensation. Or because it my cat do I have to pay and now feed a family of mice? I don't think so because its a part of nature. We live in a world where those that need not to blame are blamed and those that should go to jail, directly to jail, and not collect $200, go scott free. So IMO BP, the government, the President, BP's parent companies, and those that over looked this atrocity from the beginning should be held responsible.

If this was nature, would we even be concerned, we would expect nature to take care of itself, it can't because it wasn't the cause.

Peace to you...

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
There was a fairly major earthquake in the gulf a couple years ago. Although 250 miles WSW of the keys isnt very close to the deepwater location.

On September 10, 2006, the U.S. Geological Survey National Earthquake Information Center reported that a strong earthquake, ranking 6.0 on the Richter scale, occurred about 250 miles (400 km) west-southwest of Anna Maria, Florida, around 10:56 AM EDT. The quake was reportedly felt from Louisiana to Florida in the Southeastern United States.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.clas.ufl.edu...

edit on 28-9-2010 by justadood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
i would bet dollars to donuts,

this has happened many times in the past.

it sucks for the local life but it will return.

when man does it, we don't have the time to wait.

therefore, fine and jail for the perps!

new topics

top topics

join