It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the duck-billed platypus dream?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Interesting article!

You can see a dog dreaming: it twitches and whines, and its eyes move in “rapid eye movement” (REM) sleep. In fact, dreaming in dogs and cats is quite similar to human dreaming. But a recent study of dream patterns in the duck-billed platypus, the odd-looking Australian marsupial, reveals an interesting surprise.

sciconrev.org...

Comments?? Seems like earlier animals were more unconscious while dreaming then humans. I wonder if reptiles/birds dream.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Oddly enough, I have had an interest in the Platypus. I was on a walk, and it hopped in my mind that a Platypus could be a transitional species of evolution. Looks like I was correct.

Thanks for this bit of info, it's very interesting.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Well I know from fish breeding that some fish definitely dream.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I guess I had always assumed most animals dream.

What do you reckon platypi dream about? Eating crayfish? Wedge-tailed eagles? (followed by sudden awakening in a cold sweat........)

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I don't think any conclusions can be drawn from this, frankly. Platypuses are very, very strange creatures, not much like us. They have, for example, a sense very few other creatures possess: an 'electromyographic' sense that allows them to detect other animals under water from the electrical activity in their muscles.

The platypus is a very strange creature whose nearest living relatives are still very distant from it in evolutionary terms. No, Phlynx, it isn't a transitional species except in the sense that all species are more or less transitional; it's more like an evolutionary outlier, possibly a cul-de-sac.

The question of whether or not REM dreamstate can be interpreted as a state of consciousness will not be answered by studying platypuses. I suspect a lot of other questions could be, though.

[edit on 8/6/10 by Astyanax]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I guess it could very well be because as animals evolved so did conscience.
( the dreaming while asleep )

I'm fascinated by the Platypus. I can understand why it lays eggs and is a mammal.

But what on Earth caused its duckley appearance ? Does anyone know ?

Thanks for this great article S & F added this morning.

~ Sinter

[edit on 6/8/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

But what on Earth caused its duckley appearance ? Does anyone know?

Its duckbill is the organ housing the electromyographic sense I mentioned earlier. I guess the webbed feet are a fairly common adaptation for semi-aquatic creatures; they're more like an otter's than a duck's anyway.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
The platypus dreams that he's gotten a nosejob, gotten his fur trimmed, finally found a pair of comfortable shoes...And that he's walking down the beach, all casual and cool, smiling at the beavers...

Then he wakes up to feelings of bitter disappointment and loss, just like the rest of us...

foolish platypus...

[edit on 12-6-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Hi.

I was only pointing to its beak .
I've must have missed the part you said something about electromyographic sense. Never knew.

Thanks for pointing that out.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The coolest thing about this beast (IMO) is that they don't just look as if they are a mixture of mammal, reptile, and avian; their DNA is a true amalgam of all 3 classifications and may hold the key to understanding how mammals eventually evolved from reptiles oh so many millions of years ago.

richarddawkins.net...

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DeathTribble

Interesting article. When you wouldn't no any better, you would think the Platypus is genetically engineerd to see how far they could go.

new topics

top topics

join