It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ray Charles dead at age 73

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Like worldwatcher I honestly thought he was a LOT older than 73. Maybe it was just because he'd been around for so long. When I was a kid he was real old etc... you know how that is.

Anyways, definitely one hell of a talent. I have a lot of respect for musicians because they're able to reach people in a way that others can't so I'm very sorry to hear about this.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I thought I would show my respect for Ray Charles by posting this true, personal story. A few years ago I moved from Africa to New York to work. Got myself a great apartment in Manhattan, upper west side, a block from Central park.Had a telephone installed, furnished the apartment. This was the first time I had ever lived alone.Yes I was doing well and doing well in the Big Apple. Late one night the phone rang, I answered "Hello". Silence. nothing. "Hello?" and music started playing - Ray Charles -

"Here we go again
She's back in town again
I'll take her back again
One more time
Here we go again
The phone will ring again
I'll be her fool again
One more time "

Normally if someone doesn't respond to my "hellos" I hang up, but the music and its message had me trapped. That voice, that pain.I stood there just listening to the music untill it ended and the person hung up.

I puzzled for hours who it could be. So many bitter sweet memories washed over me through the rest of that night. I considered a vast number of people who might have called, or maybe just a wrong number. The next morning before work I stopped at Tower Records and bought the Ray Charles album. I never found out who called that night, but I'd like to thank him for giving me Ray Charles. And I'd like to thank Ray Charles for sharing his life with us all.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Hes playing there up in heaven.

You'll be missed ray.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
i am very sad to hear that he passed on. If he was in pain, perhaps it was for the best. He will have a very interesting after life for sure.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
well john,jimi and bonzo needed a piano player......rock on....

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
This is truly sad.
*tears* May he be at peace. I'm grateful to have lived in the same world as he.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
He was a gift to us all and will be missed. Love ya Ray

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Ray you are going to be missed. You have made way for many who are disabled and gave man the strength to follow their dreams no matter what.

We love you Ray. May you be in God's presence and for the first, be able to see His glorius shining light.

By the way, who's next?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
When I think about what that man did on a piano, BLIND, it makes me shudder...

He was a genuine virtuoso who lacked the luxury of sight and MUST have "felt" the sound in ways we can't imagine. His duets were priceless IMHO, always elevating the mere mortal who was blessed enough to get to record/play with him.

Does anyone remember the SuperBowl performance he did back in the latre eighties/early nineties?! SHEER GENIUS.

The world is less without his gift and kind spirit.

m...

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Rest in peace, Ray. You were one of the greats. I will always remember hearing you play in Tyler, Texas, in 1967. It was probably the first time an intergrated audience sat together in Tyler. A great man and his great music helped to loosen the bonds of racism.
You will be missed.
joey

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Ray may have shuffled off this mortal coil, but his spirit and his music will live forever! The World is a better place for having Ray Charles. It is hard not to feel sad, rejoice in his memory, take solace in his music. Take the time to remember Ray, and perhaps to forget the ills of the World, at least for a time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join