It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clean the birds, or kill them?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Clean the Birds or Kill Them?

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com

A biologist in Germany has stirred up a fuss with comments suggesting it makes more sense to kill heavily oiled birds from the Gulf of Mexico oil-spill disaster than to clean them.
(visit the link for the full news article)
_javascript:icon('
')
Sorry Mods... I'm still learning.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.facebook.com...#!/group.php?gid=123446061026102
This sign says it all..

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/7/2010 by semperfortis]

[edit on 7-6-2010 by bananabond]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Click the link for more information! This is ridiculous. I could understand if the bird was really close to death, but I couldn't imagine the kind of person who would kill an innocent animal to cut costs.

I think we should make BP pay for the clean up. I think they should follow the advice of their own sign.

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/7/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'm grinding my teeth this makes me so angry...

If I were the Feds, I'd make a CG Cutter swing by the cleanup fleet and grab every *snip* BP board member I could find, ship 'em to shore and hand them wet naps and silk hand towels... they don't stop until every Pelican, gull and osprey shines white in the sun. No bird should die in the face of their disaster because they think it'd be "too hard" to clean them all...

please don't circumvent the censors
Thanks

[edit on 7-6-2010 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bananabond

Understand the point being made is many die 5-7 days after being cleaned and released. But not all do included a tagged pelican in the Bay area that has survived for 19 years after being "foweld" by oil. As a society if we let them die then we have lost our humanity. Scientists and their damn logic just don't play well on such an emotional issue. Save the birds.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'm with all the above posters. The innocent birds deserve a chance to live. I am sure there are many people who would love to volenteer in cleaning these birds up. Whatever the cost, BP should pay. It was completely irresponsible of them as this damage to the ocean could have been avoided.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Just drown the biologist with a bucketful of oil and see if he still stands on the opinion. In before matchbox anyone....

[edit on 7-6-2010 by YJLTG]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sadwolf

Even though their chance of survival is diminished.... life is still worth the effort of the clean up. These birds are completely innocent in this whole catastrophe. I love animals and it pains me to see the wildlife affected the way it is. Even if some of the treated wildlife dies after clean up efforts have been made, at least we can say we tried. And that's better than just sitting by and watching them die or even using other methods like euthanasia.

And also, nice pelican story. i love news like that. It gives me hope for the future.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

I love animals too bannanabond! I completely agree with you. We must at least try! I wish I lived closer as i would volenteer much of my time in helping the wildlife. This is so heart-breaking to witness. Hard to get the images out of my head.

Please, if anyone lives anywhere near where there are animals in need of being cleaned up, give your time and effort to this worthwhile cause.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
As many birds and other wildlife should be cleaned and saved as possible. What is wrong with people that think otherwise - money saving shouldn't even be a consideration. We must be remember some of the wildlife in the Gulf is on the extinction list.

Would you want to not be cleaned of oil and tar just because it might save a buck

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Awesome! I donated my hair to the oil spill. I was wanting to grow my hair out, but the morning I saw the dolphins on the news... I went out and got it cut because the newscaster mentioned something about the clean-up effort being in need for human hair.

Now seeing this information about the ducks makes me want to do something else for the cause.

I just wish there was more that I could do. I would like to take a trip down.... Has anyone heard anything on if they're allowing people to clean up? Volunteers, I mean.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
They should use pelicans to clean the oil spills.

Set 'em loose and then clean em off and use em again. Like sponges.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Why would the cleanup need human hair ???

Where did you send it ???

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I will be honest here, I have not got a clue as to how oil effects marine and fowl life, but I am sure it can't be good.

Most of the people I know in Biology and Ecological science pursuits tend to be of the "tree hugger" variety, with some being more obnoxious than others.

Still, I would be forced to conclude that if a biologist was making this type of suggestion it would be to eliminate long term pain and suffering of the animals.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Experts Recommend Killing Oil-Soaked Birds

Loam already started a thread in the Fragile Earth forums about this same report. There has already been some discussion there if anyone cares to check it out.

Peace.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by broahes]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

This might help answer your question:

Matter of Trust

BBC News Article from last month: How can human hair help clean up oil spill?

Although I believe BP initially balked at the idea..

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

they make mats out of the hair that is donated.
www.matteroftrust.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that it had already been posted. As the article was only two hours old when I found it. Only trying to get the information out there.

I figured that some help is greater than no help. And at least if the mats did soak up even a little bit, it would be more than what BP has done so far.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
That seems really bizarre, with the human hair thing.

I wouldn't want to be the person opening the packages, blech!

Never heard of that before, that's pretty interesting.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
After reading the article, I don't think anyone expressed concerns about either the monetary cost, the labor, or the difficulty in cleaning up the birds - I think they are concerned about the birds!

Look..

First the bird suffers the trauma, stress, and discomfort of being covered with oil and being unable to fly or get food, then it ingests oil when it tries to clean itself up by preening and suffers the discomforts associated with that. Then there is more fear and stress because the bird is vulnerable and can't escape predators.

Then it suffers the stress, fear, and trauma of being caught, caged, and transported.

Then it goes through the discomfort, fear, and stress of being cleaned while being forcibly restrained.

Then they restrain it again (or some more) and pour additional noxious (to the bird) substances down its throat to try to help it get rid of the oil it has ingested.

Then it is placed in an unnatural confined environment, probably with other traumatized birds, and goes through whatever it is they do for "rehabilitation."

And after all that .. it still dies. Not really a surprise when you think about it, is it?

I think the concern here is .. if the bird has a 99% (or 90%) chance of dying anyway, why not spare it all that stress, fear, trauma, and discomfort (which from the bird's point of view likely seems like torture) and give it a quick humane death instead?

I'm not sure which side I'm on, but I certainly see their point.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Don't worry about it.. it's an issue I'm very passionate about. I was only pointing out that thread because it's the right thing to do, and because people have already posted some things in there that are relevant for anyone reading this thread that they may be interested in. No harm done, as long as people get the message, and are able to discuss it.. I could care less how they come about it.

Also, I stared and flagged your thread as well.

Peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join