It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice for Bhopal? Not a chance (Warning Graphic Images)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
For those of you who are not aware of this...

The Bhopal disaster is largely regarded as one of the biggest industrial accidents ever.

In 1984 the Bhopal chemical plant, owned by Union Carbide, released vast amounts of poisonous gas into the atmosphere... The gas killed thousands of people, on that night, and is reported to be responsible for up to 25,000 deaths in total with a possible 200,000 people suffering severe health issues as a direct result of the incident.

Children are still being born with deformities and, although the plant is now closed, there has never been a thorough clean up of the contamination.

Many issues where raised in the investigation into this incident, which include...

The use of dangerous chemicals (instead of more expensive safer alternatives)
Corroded pipes
Poor maintenance
Safety systems switched off to save money
Lack of skilled operators
Lack of staff training

Most of the problems can be linked directly to Union Carbide cutting corners to save money....

In 1993 Union Carbide offered 350 Million US Dollars in compensation to the victims... the Indian Government refused this, although the eventually settled for 480 Million...

Thats around $2133 for each person who either died or was seriously affected by this.

And now, 25 years later, who has been brought to justice for this crime???

8 of the plants Indian managers!!!

news.bbc.co.uk...

Not one of the former union carbide hierarchy have been held accountable for this! The Union Carbide Executives have all escape unscathed and have refused to obey a summons of the indian court to answer to charges of culpable homicide.

Ever since this disaster happened there has been attempts to cover up the extent of this incident... And now, the best the victims can get in a way of justice is 8 former managers (relatively low level employees) sent to prison for two years...

Disgusting!!!

www.bhopal.org...

bhopal.net...

The Bhopal Chemical Plant

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b2872f308f0e.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on by elevatedone because: Removed graphic images.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I would also like to add the following...

Although i would love to see the executives of Union Carbide brought to justice over this... i must also add that, in my humble opinion, the Indian Government has been pathetic...

When Union Carbide did not correctly clean up this mess then the Indian government should have taken responsibility, for the sake of its people, not argue politics...

Yes, this would cost the Indian government millions and yes, India is not the richest nation on earth... However, if they can afford to have a Nuclear arms race with Pakistan then they can afford to clean this up!!

new topics

join