It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA - Put Your Face in Space!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

it's brilliant these days how the Space Agencies are getting the public involved in their own Missions and here is another!

Fly Your Face in Space

NASA wants to put a picture of you on one of the two remaining space shuttle missions and launch it into orbit. To launch your face into space and become a part of history, just follow these steps

First...Select the Participate button at the bottom of this page and upload your image/name, which will be flown aboard the space shuttle. Don't have a picture to upload? No problem, just skip the image upload and we will fly your name only on your selected mission

Sounds like fun. A great chance to be part of History. Let get as many ATS'ers participating as possible!!!

g

faceinspace.nasa.gov...

www.universetoday.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
i have sent the cat.....!!!!

2line

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This is probably the closest I will ever get to actual space-flight so I may as well participate.

Looks like just under 4,000,000 people have done it so far...

good find grantbeed!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by bonsaisert

Wow, 4 million, i've got a better chance of winning Lotto!!!

Ah, I'm going to try anyway, you never know!

g

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
reply to post by bonsaisert

Wow, 4 million, i've got a better chance of winning Lotto!!!

Ah, I'm going to try anyway, you never know!

g

All the pictures go on the spacecraft.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Oh, cool, definatley in for this then.

g

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Thanks for sharing this

Maybe try at the lotto and after winning it, get one of the first tickets on a ride into space in the next few years? Which if I remember correctly will be USD $250K. Or blow the whole jackpot winnings on a ride up with the Russian's to ISS for $35-55M.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by InvisibleObserver]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Done and done!

*the shuttle flies past a UFO*

"Who's that ugly mug?"

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I just placed my name on the list...a silly but fun novelty. Thanks for sharing...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Fun Stuff!

I've done this sort of thing before. Having a message beamed into space by an organization in Australia, and having me and my family members names sent out into space by NASA.

Hey, Gizmo! Hear that? That's my message I sent out a few millenia ago.

Gizmo: That doesn't sound like anything you'd ever say.

Me: Well, that was before I became enlightened.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Haha, that's pretty cool.

I want my mug in outer space!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I hope when aliens see a picture of my bum the won't think all humans look like that.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Cool, I just sent my three year old to space haha. He is totally into space/aeroplanes etc.. The certificate will be a cool thingy for him to have.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
so.. face pic does up, then comes back down with the shuttle? .. That don't sound like such a good deal to me. No one in space will be looking at your picture. in fact.. the pictures wont even be on display.. so whats the point?

I can say,

" Yeah, I had my face launched into space.. but no one saw it.. it was mixed in with 4 million other pics so I wasn't special. They are not even going to take these pics and shoot them off into space for possible ET's to find so my pics will never have a chance to be viewed by an alien. None of the astro-nots saw my pic either. They didn't want to look through 4 million pics and say to mine, " wish you were here."

This may be cute for children, but i'm just not seeing it.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Just done mine, you never know, fingers crossed, would be so amazing to see ya mug in space

I've done mine for the november 2010 launch, they should make a massive sheet of metal, i mean huge massive sheet of metal and etch all of the faces on it and push it into space and see how far it gets lol.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Way to be a party pooper, guy!
No one is going to force you to do it.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Here is a link to further information regarding the Face into Space programme

www.newscientist.com...

The photos are going to be put on the shuttles in digital format.

Newscientist is claiming only 16,000 people have participated thus far.

The Nasa website states 48,536

faceinspace.nasa.gov...

Disappointing how little interest there is in space travel these days...

Remain Vigilant

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
So just my "jpg" file (or whatever format NASA will use) will be on a computer sent into space? I would rather my actual picture somehow be displayed, but I suppose that would be very difficult for NASA to do. I'll go for it -- it can't hurt.

...However, I have to think a computer image file of my face has already been in space in some format or other. Some internet traffic is beamed up to communication satellites and back, so I suppose there's a good chance that a photo of me on the internet has already been in space.

Having said that, I guess it would be cool to have the image file on one of the historic final two shuttle flights. Count me in!

[edit on 6/9/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
perhaps facial recognition software will allow them to abduct you all, and by them i mean who knows. goodbye kitty though.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by pryingopen3rdeye]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
This may be cute for children, but i'm just not seeing it.

My daughter is too young to know what a space shuttle is, so although she's seen a shuttle launch she's too young to remember it. At least when she grows up I'll be able to tell her how a picture of her face flew on board the shuttle to ISS and back. ISS itself might still be around when she reaches an age where she can start to appreciate seeing it in the telescope, and perhaps by knowing that in a way she's been there it will spark an interest in space.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by ngchunter]

top topics

join