It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children of lesbian couples do well

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Well that's lovely about cells. Humans are not single celled. Humans have superseded evolution itself. It is no longer bound by nature nor evolution. It controls it. And we have become smart enough to know from observation what works and what does not. The funny thing about nature is that it is always trying new things, but failing to remember what works and what does not. Humans can remember and write down. And history tells us well. The more diverse you are, the better off you get along. therefore, different parents are better. there IS a limitation with same sex couples for obvious reasons.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myrddin Wyllt
Your last comment doesn't make sense, kids do what they want regardless (usually) of consequence, breaking rules is totally disrespectful, and as we are talking about children, most rules for them are supposed to come from the parents.

It is not disrespectful; children push boundaries all the time because they need to figure out just what the boundaries are in the first place, it is a form of learning their environment.

The reason you like your headmaster is because his canning create a disconnect and people have a great desire to be accurate and correct in their thinking, so since you allowed the unpleasant situation to unfold you needed to justify it all in your head by coming to the conclusion that you must really like him to let him hurt you like that….

Same reason fraternities create deep friendships after hazing….the mind needs to justify the hazing and still be correct and accurate, and so they all allowed it all to happen since they all must really like each other… Bingo, life long friendships....

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

Well that's lovely about cells. Humans are not single celled. Humans have superseded evolution itself. It is no longer bound by nature nor evolution. It controls it. And we have become smart enough to know from observation what works and what does not. The funny thing about nature is that it is always trying new things, but failing to remember what works and what does not. Humans can remember and write down. And history tells us well. The more diverse you are, the better off you get along. therefore, different parents are better. there IS a limitation with same sex couples for obvious reasons.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Gorman91]

Diversification is important...

Think of all the orphans in the world which could be adopted by same sex couples... reducing the surplus population rate and increasing the number of children who are raised in loving homes?

That in itself seems like nature trying to solve a problem .. "HRmmm lots of unwatned kids... people having them..... why don't i crank out a few who wont actually procreate but still have the desire to raise children... yea thats the ticket!"

You need to think more creatively as it relates to what is good for humanity and evolution.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Don't all sorts of children do well and some do bad?
Im sure their objective was to put a positive spin on this,
and that's fine, that is their right. But what does this all
really mean? Some kids do well, other don't.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
One of my friends here at work was raised by two lesbians. Many times he has said that he wishes he had a male role model in his life. The "mother" in the household (I guess that means the one less-butch) refused to let any male role models close to the family because she was a staunch women's rights supporter and apparently hated most men. The guy at work work isn't gay or anything but I know he suffered from depression a great deal of his life and tried to kill himself once when he was a teenager. I know that's not going to be the norm for all lesbian-raised children, but it certainly does make me think twice about anyone who says children raised by same-sex couples are all perfectly normal kids.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by black cat
One of my friends here at work was raised by two lesbians. Many times he has said that he wishes he had a male role model in his life. The "mother" in the household (I guess that means the one less-butch) refused to let any male role models close to the family because she was a staunch women's rights supporter and apparently hated most men. The guy at work work isn't gay or anything but I know he suffered from depression a great deal of his life and tried to kill himself once when he was a teenager. I know that's not going to be the norm for all lesbian-raised children, but it certainly does make me think twice about anyone who says children raised by same-sex couples are all perfectly normal kids.

Actually your exposition shows that they are in fact normal... is it normal for a child to have a whacked out parent? Sure... both of mine were heterosexual but my dad was whacked out in ways similar to the mother you describe above...

It's pretty normal for people to look back on life and wish for this or that from their parents... I know all my brothers and sisters do... and that's nothing to do with homosexuality... it happens everywhere... what you are speaking of is just so common its painfully normal.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Sorry, friend, but I don't think you understand. The way I understand it, the guys "mother" was so hating of men that she kept them out of his life. How is that normal, and when does that kind of thing happen in a heterosexual relationship? With a mother and a father at least the child gets one male and female role model. In his relationship he was denied one of the two role models that every child needs. I think you had better stick to topics that you actually have first-hand knowledge about and not speak for others.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Sorry, friend, but I don't think you understand. The way I understand it, the guys "mother" was so hating of men that she kept them out of his life.

My father was so hating of women that he berated every girl I ever brought home.

How is that normal, and when does that kind of thing happen in a heterosexual relationship?

That kind of thing you are mentioning is a pathological neurosis... and it's not specific to homosexual couples.... it is found in most families across the nation to some degree or another.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

But you were still allowed to have women in your life, growing up, right? So your father berated girlfriends you brought home. So what? How is that even close to being the same thing as keeping a male role model away from a child, especially a boy? I can see you are passionate about this argument but I also believe your sense of perception is skewed on this point.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

But you were still allowed to have women in your life, growing up, right? So your father berated girlfriends you brought home. So what? How is that even close to being the same thing as keeping a male role model away from a child, especially a boy? I can see you are passionate about this argument but I also believe your sense of perception is skewed on this point.

What you contunue to talk about is one man hating woman.

What I am trying to tell you is that there is no way in the world you can extrapolate that to all lesbians.... I know plenty of lesbians who are not man hating... they are woman loving.... there is a huge difference.

Not only that, I know plenty of man hating women who are heterosexual as well.. My late grandmother included....

This "man hating" is nothing more than a Patholoigical neurosis.... and these have many differnt forms... for example... homphobia is another one of these.... how many heterosexual homes are teaching homophobia?

Other irrational fears are imposed on children daily all across this nation by heterosexual couples....

You were attempting to say how this is specific to Lesbian couples with children... but I just don't see how, outside of that one case you cited.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I am not one to say that it is impossible for gay people to be good parents. Even if it is optimal for parents to be straight, there are many factors that go into making a good parent. Furthermore, many straight parents are not optimal parents because they have some "imperfection" like financial troubles, lack of education, bad eating habits, houses that are too small, houses that are too big, etc.

I always question psychological research that says kids are "healthier" when some condition is present or not present. For example, many psychologists say kids who are not spanked are "healthier" than kids who do get spanked. If they define "healthy" as not being ashamed of themselves when they act like total brats, then kids who are not spanked are certainly healthy. Some psychologists would call this behavior "high self esteem" or "creativity." If you call a kid who shows a little humility and respect for authority "unhealthy" than many kids who are spanked are unhealthy. Some psychologist may call these qualities "low self esteem."

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by black cat

This is more about your friend's mom being a staunch feminist and ruining his outlook on men.

This is completely the parent's fault and completely isolated as well. Most lesbians I know do not associate with being feminists.

The Feminist movement is actually a very destructive force in today's society.

~Keeper

[edit on 6/8/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Anyone know if any of these children turned to be gay or lesbian?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Geez, no bias there. It's MSNBC, and everyone knows where they stand on issues like this.

Anyways, I imagine in some cases children are better off in same sex households than the worst of orphanages, though I certainly wouldn't want to be known as the adopted kid with the lesbian moms. That's pretty much guaranteed torment for all your school years.

At least where I grew up it was.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ECWSANDMAN13

Originally posted by virgom129

Fact is I still see it as a condition that is not normal.

Lets face it, if it was the norm and everyone was like that,
there would be no people...Same sex can not reproduce......period...

Actualy scientists have done studies with combining 2 eggs and making a baby.

Are you trying to argue that because scientist can do it it is normal,... well perhaps it will be one day. But is it right?,... tougher question. Scientists can do alot of things that are not "natural", I think the word natural needs to be used here instead of normal.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by hisshadow
I agree with this article totally, kids of lesbian or gay parents do turn out better than those of straight parents.

This is mainly due to the fact that there is no macho herculoid father there to beat them daily. They instead are tendered by both parents being kind and loving.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by hisshadow]

Wow,... attack of the close minded generalization. I'm a father, 2 kids aged 5 and 7 (girls) love them to death, married to my wonderful wife of 11 years. I would sacrifice myself for my family without question.

Perhaps you had a father like you describe, if you did I'm sorry, but your experience does not a generalization about men make.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by black cat

This is more about your friend's mom being a staunch feminist and ruining his outlook on men.

This is completely the parent's fault and completely isolated as well. Most lesbians I know do not associate with being feminists.

The Feminist movement is actually a very destructive force in today's society.

~Keeper

[edit on 6/8/2010 by tothetenthpower]

yes, and in every lesbian relationship I have seen there is one feminist. One always thinks they are the male of the bunch and even tries to copy cat the male. It is actually funny if you ask me. This is coming from a psychological view point.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I would expect clinical observation and a control group type study. But that is just me. This seems like the parents and children were allowed to pick their own results without an outside evaluation based on quantified behavior criteria.

Then imo the same should be done for mothers/fathers who raise their Children on their own as a single parent.I would say if any household situation should be studied it should be the single parent household before anything.

Seriously, adding a second parent may it be male or female re-inforces the childs security and upbringing.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Well of course they can adopt. I'm only arguing that it is not as good as a natural home.

But I acknowledge your logic. In fact I actually consider myself beaten in this discussion.. it is quite an interesting line of thought that I had not considered. A Family is better than no family.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Children should be raised in a household where both a mother and father is present. The mother and the father both contribute in different ways that will help the child grow and mature properly.

A father teaches his son how to be a MAN. He teaches his daughter what to look for in a man when she becomes an adult.

A mother teaches her daughter how to be a WOMAN. She shows her son the type of woman he should look for when he becomes an adult and starts a family of his own.

How can a child be properly raised with two genders in the household? A girl raised by two women will be out of touch with what a male and female relationship should be like. A boy raised by two women might end up lacking "toughness" and strength because women have the tendency to coddle (which is not a bad thing, but a father needs to be present to provide balance).

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join