It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children of lesbian couples do well

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I would have liked to see what the kids think only.

If your in a same sex relationship raising kids of course your going to say its the best thing in the world.

My kids are in this boat and They Hate it, but there answers would change if in the presences of the mom and partner. There is massive mental disease in the home [diagnosed] My oldest 2 hate the partner for destroying the social lives as some parents don't allow their children to hang out with them. This hatred towards the partner is turning to resentment towards the mother.

They live in a home where they can't show or talk about there true feelings, if they tell the mother any misgivings about the partner its immediately confronted [usually very loudly] towards the partner alienating the kids from showing any true feeling or thought in the open again. They have learned notto trust there own mother.

My youngest has the already listed issues with this environment, but she also has the issue that this lifestyle is just wrong. She is very conservative and thinks the family should be father mother and kids. I have caught her calling her brothers fags recently and when I talked to her about it, it just shows how deep these feelings she has are.

When visiting they never wanna go home, and all wish to move out.

So IMO the motivation to flee a unwanted living environment will force them to achieve more in order to achieve there goals.

I see this more often than I want to admit.

However, those teenagers who — according to their mothers — experienced homophobia and bullying did turn out to be more anxious and have more depressive symptoms than their peers. It wasn't clear if the anxiety was a product of the bullying or if it was the other way around.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This happens as a direct result of there parents lifestyle.

They push academics on the kids sometimes to the extreme being confined to there room from the time they get home from school with a book only to leave to do chores, bathroom, dinner. There motivation is to show the state there how wonderful parents they are.

I have more to say as will the children of this study someday when they are away from the parents.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Ever hear of artificial insemination and adoption... and surrogacy?

I say answer my other question.... who else Isn't equal in your opinion.

Were these knee-jerk reactions?

Adoption and surrogacy don't require a heterosexual couple or at the very least heterosexuality?

On which planet?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
To be honest

''A stable home is the best home''

If a child is loved and looked after, in the same way that any type of parent combination would do so then i have no problem with it. With society today and divorce rates increasing, surely this can only be a good thing?

So what if the source may be slightly biased on scope, the fact is some child/children are happy out there because of this.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The hard-working decent father figure is absolutely despised in this society. If one were to look on this country from the outside looking-in, they would figure that females prefer their male counterparts to inseminate them, leave, and then be forced to pay child support.

At every turn, the father role is basically ostracized and spit on, and it's basically shoved down people's throats that "men can't raise children", etc. They're good enough to provide income outside of a relationship though, apparently. Money is always good, eh?

If so many women want to claim men are not needed, then have at it women. You don't need a study to prove to yourselves or anyone else that "you can hack it on your own just fine". People won't stop trying to claim otherwise, you can't sway an opinion of someone who is stubborn. All of these studies are annoying, and used for the express purpose of being ridiculous political ammunition for fervent ideologies.

Maybe we should be more concerned with children that don't even have parents and figure out what we can do to fix that instead of worrying about "lesbians and women are better"... ? What has been proven with this opinion exactly?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

I'm not surprised by this at all.

I personally know two lesbian couples and a male gay couple who are raising very well-adjusted, well behaved, lovely children/young teens who'd be a credit to any parent.

Amazingy, I also know single parents who are also managing to defy the stereotype and do the same.

One, an alcoholic with a history of serious mental health issues. Her child went on to get a good degree, a great job and a lovely wife. One of the nicest, most selfless and considerate young men you could ever wish to meet.

Conversely I know several happily married middle class couples with great jobs and homes whose children are selfish, noisy, rude, demanding little brats.

It's all about the quality of the parent(s), not their sexuality or background.

No axe to grind here, I'm a heterosexual male who happens to work in education.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I don't really have a stance on same sex couples raising kids, but from a personal experience I can say this article doesn't apply to them all. I was seeing a girl for a while whos mom was a lesbian, and let me tell you this girl had more problems than one can count.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

I saw kids with hetero parents with the same issue
that's a generalization
I mean come on man

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising

Children of lesbian couples do well

www.msnbc.msn.com

Being raised by a same-sex couple is no hindrance to healthy psychological development, researchers say as the first generation of children conceived by lesbians through donor insemination is coming of age.

Dr. Nanette Gartrell of the University of California, San Francisco, who started the so-called US National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study in 1986......is in a same-sex partnership.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
pediatrics.aappublications.org
www.nllfs.org

Well this is all fine and dandy but what about the lack of male role models? That has got to have some effect on the kids. The only way I can see this as biased is its attempt to portray homosexual parents as perfect parents, if not more capable then heterosexual parents. Then again, in modern society homosexuals are still considered to be inferior in a sense. They don't quite have the same rights as heterosexuals generally do so media portrays them in a more golden light. Its like how males are demonized and females are portrayed as angelic when it can just as well be the opposite.

Just thinking aloud mostly but I have to agree with the poster that said some children raised by homosexual parents can feel pressured to prove they are heterosexual. This seems like it would be one of the more obvious effects on them mentally but it doesn't seem to be addressed. I wonder what future test results will show.

All in all how the kid turns out depends on the individual or parent, not particularly sexuality though that may greatly factor in it.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by ItsAgentScully]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsAgentScully

I don't agree with that.

Just because 2 women raise a child doesn't mean there aren't any strong male figures in that child's life. There are brothers, grand father's, friends, and every other imaginable possible resource for strong male role models.

Our children for example, being raised by two men, needless to say I had no idea what to do when my oldest daughter started her period, so I called my sister who promptly took care of it.

It's all in context of the extended family model, not just the static home one.

~Keeper

[edit on 6/7/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well, in my opinion, you pretty much validated the point "scully" was trying to make. You didn't have a same-sex family member present, and had to basically petition an outside source for assistance.

Nothing wrong with that, don't get me wrong, but I feel it can't be argued that a traditional Male-Female parent duo has more advantages in raising a child properly. Doesn't mean a single parent can't do just as well, or a gay couple can't do as well, but if the male-female parents are in a healthy relationship and the family is healthy overall.. then there is simply nothing that can compete with that level of bonding and healthy exposure to multiple gender role-models.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Edit.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by ItsAgentScully]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

On the perfect, evolutionary and technically "should be" way of parenting, yes I will agree that 1 male and 1 female would offer the best environment.

Anybody who denies that fact is delusional.

Petition is kind of not the word I would choose though. You see it's funny, when me an my husband decided to have children nearly a decade ago, our family were the ones who actually told us that they would be right there to help with the things that we could not.

When I say I had no idea what to do, I'm lying. I knew exactly what to do and I could have helped my daughter with any of those issues.

The problem is that it would not have had the same impact as having a women tell her the same thing. It's one of those things where you start talking and they kinda just look at you with a blank face that says " OMG! Why are you talking to me about this!"

So I think even in single parent scenarios your going to "petition" for family members to assist because that's always how children were raised.

I don't think it's healthy for a child to just get 2 perspectives as far as parenting goes, I actually like that there are things which I can go to my female family members and let them deal with it.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

So gender roles are not completely interchangeable, nor should they be. This is largely due to the context of the child and the appropriate delivery of the message, assistance, or life lesson. Gender confusion in children driven by assumption of other gender roles in the parenting process plays a big part in same sex experimentation leading to the choice of lesbian and gay lifestyles, imo.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Let's see, in general lesbian couples need to go to an extra effort to have children compared to hetero couples either artificial insemination or adoption. Hetero couples can have kids by one romp in the hay or even by accident, and the kids may be unwanted or taken for granted. By extension almost all kids of lesbian couples are wanted alot as shown by the effort required, and treated generally better on average than hetero couples kids. Does that make lesbians better parents,.... no sorry. The lesbians that don't care about kids and are likely to be bad parents never have kids, same can't be said of heteros.

I remember a study awhile back, similar argument said homosexuals were smarter on average than heteros. Never mind that more college students try and decide to live alternate lifestyles compared to high school grads and drop outs.

Sounds like the researchers need to go back to college and learn the difference between a link and an association.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising

So gender roles are not completely interchangeable, nor should they be. This is largely due to the context of the child and the appropriate delivery of the message, assistance, or life lesson. Gender confusion in children driven by assumption of other gender roles in the parenting process plays a big part in same sex experimentation leading to the choice of lesbian and gay lifestyles, imo.

I agree that boys should be boys and girls should be girls, but what I'm saying is that in the parenting sense you can somewhat interchange these roles in any given situation.

There's not a situation where if I did not have any other people around to assist with whatever I needed that I could not to do myself with the same or similar results.

As for choosing to be gay, I'm pretty sure you didn't choose to be straight. I wish it were that simple.

~Keeper

[edit on 6/7/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Of course these kids do well, and it does not surprise me at all. Females are the superior of the sexes in all ways, but especially child rearing.

Wow,.. denying ignorance pwnd

Just for fun try putting males in your comment instead of females and if you want child rearing for anything else,... ok now that's how id[*tc you sound.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by slane69]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
So long as the parents are good people and good parents and teach the child as per any parents then it doesnt matter the sexual preference of the parents

Very wise words and I consider them true. Star for you.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Gender is not a personal choice, nor to a certain extent is hormonal balance. But sexuality, again imo, is most definitely a personal choice. There simply is no gay/lesbian gene. Environment is a big factor, but not a determining one.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Of course these kids do well, and it does not surprise me at all. Females are the superior of the sexes in all ways, but especially child rearing.

Excuse me.. as far as I know men are physically superior, more emotionally stable and have a wider spread when it comes to intelligence, meaning our gender produces tenfold more geniuses as well as idiots.
Women are generally mediocre in comparison because of that spread, as well as generally more conforming.

You've got emotions and child-rearing on lock, that's your evolutionary role.
Superior in all ways?
Don't make me laugh you sexist!

And the proof is in the pudding, me and slane69 are the only ones to call you out as a sexist, the other reply you got even apologized in advance just to not be labelled a sexist when obviously you're the one with a sexist outlook. See how twisted things have gotten? You're calling your gender superior in ALL WAYS and we're the ones in a defensive position. Absurd.

This is the truth of the situation:

Originally posted by calstorm
If you put a man and a woman on a scale, they balance each other out. They do that because they are different. A women is strong were a man has weak points and vice versa.

I'm not arguing against same sex families, sure they can work, of course they can. BUT, I am against this blatant propaganda and conditioning to break down the family unit, I don't know if there's undeniable proof but to me it's obvious because it's happening, it's all engineered by the Rockefellers to lessen the bonds of family thereby increasing the governments role in children's lives.
The feminist movement, metrosexuality, the (ridiculous*) gay pride attitude. It's all in the game plan.

*Yes, I find it ridiculous.. they're acting like promiscuous, vulgar, sex crazed maniacs.
Yeah, you're proud, we know.. nobody cares. You don't have to be all up in our face about your blatant homosexuality. They're acting like caricatures.. I've even heard gay people complain about how it makes people think they're all like that.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by TheLaughingGod]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join