It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Comet Headed for Inner Solar System

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

It seems like in the past, comets were rare, but they are getting to be regular occurrences now. Is this a sign that we are entering a more active area of space.

We might want to set aside greed and petty disputes, and start concentrating on developing a strong space program to protect our planet from this influx of large shooting comets flying across our system.

yeah, I do remember fireballs or comets being a rare thing up until 2009.
Now it seems almost uncommon in our skies. I wonder if they are warning signs of impending danger?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
hmm maybe its the so called planet x??
cuz i know chemtrails are being sprayed around the sun when it sets.
and thats also when nibiru should be seen to the naked eye
whatever it is. we wont be told the truth. or we will be told. but itll be to late

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

Well if you remove the H , it's the same word.......weird

Cometh is an old English version of the verb "come".

Second line.

BTW, good find, starred and flagged.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JayXBraun

Arrrrgggghhh! (Pulling hair out, in small chunks....muttering to self...)

cuz i know chemtrails are being sprayed around the sun when it sets. and thats also when nibiru should be seen to the naked eye
whatever it is.

Simply stunning.

From a comet on a highly eliptical orbit, to "chemtrails"? Amazing.....

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

This is not planet x, nor Nibiru/Marduk/Nemesis/Wormwood.

However it is strange that this was just discovered a year ago. Something seems to be disturbing large objects and sending them towards the inner Solar System.

Not too long ago Jupiter was once again hit by some large meteor/comet and we have a thread about this somewhere.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Has it yet been suggested, here, that there could be a very simple explanation for:

However it is strange that this was just discovered a year ago.

Two, actually....

First, the technology, and resolution available to scan the skies keeps improving.

Second...comets (as you well know)...are darned near impossible to spot, being so small, and inert, until they get close enough to the Sun to begin to ionize, and become more visible.

However, pertubations in the Oort Cloud (or the much nearer "Kuiper Belt") do occur, and not just because of a postulated "Nemesis"...(although certainly could be, well outying beyond Pluto's orbit, but NOT, of course, on an orbital path inward).

Here is some catching up on what's known, and hypothesised:

en.wikipedia.org...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meant to add....looking at the data, so far...they've calculated its period ( no jokes, now...
) ...that's its period of orbit about the Sun...at about 130 years. In case no one's mentioned it, yet.

More cometary facts -- (Because I used a word, up above..."ionize"...as a colorful descriptive, but not an exact one):

As a comet gets closer to the Sun, the surface of its nucleus warms. Icy materials begin to sublime into gas. As the gas boils off the comet, it can take small particles of dust with it. The gas and dust forms a cloud of diffuse material, called a coma, that surrounds the nucleus. The coma can swell to many times the size of the nucleus. If the comet gets close enough to the Sun, the solar wind can blow gas and dust away from the comet, forming elongated and often multiple tails of gas and dust. The tail always points away from the Sun -- not away from the comet’s direction of motion.

www.planetary.org...

It's the ice crystals, molecules (of whatever composition, not just H2O), and dust billowing out that the sunlight illuminates.

Comets are just "Big, dirty snowballs in deep freeze."
For most of their lifespans. Until they come in and get heated up...

[edit on 8 June 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
[Do you have any information on what type of craft are spraying the chemtrails around the sun?]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Well...... guess I better start making cool-aid and get my sneakers ready.....

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jesuswasasailor
[Do you have any information on what type of craft are spraying the chemtrails around the sun?]

You do know that the sun is 93 million miles away don't you?

Anyway, back on topic...

This comet is on a highly hyperbolic orbit and is likely to fly past the sun and off into outer space.

Most comets orbit the sun and have the periods of their orbit altered only when they pass close to a solar system body with high mass like a planet.

Some of these comets have orbits that take millions of years to complete, others just several tens of years. Halley’s for example is a short period comet with an orbit of just 76 years.

Occasionally, a comet is dislodged from the the Oort Cloud or the Kyper Belt and we get to see a comet that has never orbited the sun before.
As Weedwhacker said earlier we are seeing more comets because the technology has improved to spot them.

How we differenciate between a comet that's already orbiting the sun and one that's just flown in for the first time I don't know, but it does make difficult to ascertain if the number of comets is increasing.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

This is not planet x, nor Nibiru/Marduk/Nemesis/Wormwood.

However it is strange that this was just discovered a year ago. Something seems to be disturbing large objects and sending them towards the inner Solar System.

Not too long ago Jupiter was once again hit by some large meteor/comet and we have a thread about this somewhere.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

yes, Jupiter was hit twice once on Friday and the other on Saturday.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Insomniac

As someone pointed out ealier that something in Oort Cloud. It is causing all these comets to show up.

Here is the thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

Yes that might turn out to be the case, but if so it wouldn't necessarily cause an increase in comets as the object would be regularly ejecting them from the Oort Cloud. The point I was making was that it's difficult to tell if a comet is 'new' or a long period one.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

It seems like in the past, comets were rare, but they are getting to be regular occurrences now. Is this a sign that we are entering a more active area of space.

We might want to set aside greed and petty disputes, and start concentrating on developing a strong space program to protect our planet from this influx of large shooting comets flying across our system.

I've always wonder why we can't just deploy some kind of global intergalactic radar system of some sorts. Put them in orbit half the distance to the moon. For example, 4 radar satellites scanning a dedicated area. I'm sure 4 is not enough but 8 might be enough.

Is that just not possible? I'm talking something simple like a pure radar type of system. We can account for everything in our solar system so anything that bounces back weird needs to be looked at.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by quakewatcher
OK "massive" is an unfortunate adjective. Didn't mean it literally although I suppose when you are talking physics that could be assumed.

I just remember the one that smacked into Jupiter a few years back.

Edited to say: I changed it to "huge"

[edit on 7-6-2010 by quakewatcher]

Shoemaker Levy-9 was the comet.

en.wikipedia.org...

An excerpt:

"This impact created a giant dark spot over 12,000 km across, and was estimated to have released an energy equivalent to 6,000,000 megatons of TNT (600 times the world's nuclear arsenal)"

We all know and fear what the entire world's nuclear arsenal could
do so now we might start spending at least 10% of the religion,
sports, and military budget on addressing this VERY real issue.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by quakewatcher

Here is a bit of info on it from todays APOD. It says there that it was only discovered last year, though.

APOD

And a bigger photo here:

Comet------======[(O)]

[edit on 7/6/2010 by Chamberf=6]

The stars are blurred because the astronomer was tracking the comet but
UNLIKE other photos of comets I have seen this image contains something quite different.

What is very interesting is all the other stuff traveling with this thing.
See all those things that look like stars? for those to be there as dots means they are traveling with this comet.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by seataka]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Umm the head of the comet is no more than 10 ft across. No exactly massive.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I changed the title from massive within 20 minutes or so of the original post, do subscribers get old versions or something?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by seataka

I think what you are talking about is CCD and/or processing noise.
altamiraobs.teobaldopower.org...

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I love hearing posts about how different, violent or more impressive people think the world is now. My kids can not (thought hey know better) wrap their minds around the fact that a lot happened before they were born. When I was a kid, it was amazing that we had a microwave oven the technology was so impressive. Dont get me started with the coolness of the remote controll, and the internet, and cell phones surely we would all be driving flying saucers by 2000. AND Im only 33 years old. Nothing is different, we can just see it now, and you care. You didnt care when you were 5 or 16.

I think also, that whith the dawn of the technological age old ways were put aside and assumed ignorant. There were people 2000+ years ago knew so much more about the stars than we do now. Everything cycles around. To assume that civilizations thousands of years ago were wrong is ignorant on our part.

As for planet x, I remember when Nasa found it. It was on every tv in every classroom for 2 weeks when i was in High school. Peter Jennings talked all about it, interviews with nasa, scientists, govt and millitary officials the works. It came down to naming it and we didnt hear anything more. So I believe. Not because of Stitchen either. I had not heard of the man until about 10 years ago when we were all wondering what they named the planet and found all the archives gone. We talked to nasa and everything. That is when we found the book and a lot of others talking about Planet X calling it Niberu. I dont think that Nemisis is the one they say it is too small. This one was larger than Jupiter and producced its own atmosphere. It was large and radioactive so it seemed to glow.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by seataka

I think what you are talking about is CCD and/or processing noise.

Mr Phage
20 minutes of pondering, looking at that image and other comet imagery and I started considering that possibility. I suppose the fellow was pushing his rig to the limit cause he took a damn fine picture of that thing... so perhaps some ccd noise is to be expected.

And...I hope you are right.

Sure seems like there have been a lot of fireballs and meteor strikes... 1 in my home state of virginia in the last month. And that one in Wisconsin a few months ago.

Edit:
The image links provide by Mr Phage are three, one is an extreme close up of the comet head.. not of what is around it and the brightness of the comet would drown out anything else dim and close to it...so it is useless.
Another looks fine, but shows no accompanying debris, but even the comet does not look 'bright' so i would not expect dimmer objects to even resolve
Another onehas some visible stuff around it...

in the wide field image here apod.nasa.gov...

all the sparklies have a ~25 degree inclination, and more than one errant pixel..

IF this were CCD noise the pixels would not all be at the same angle neither would they be more than individual pixels... and it isn't a compression artifact... it appears to me that this may be a debris field traveling with this comet.

Every one of the supposed CCD Noise pixels is not round... they are more than one pixel and they have the same angle... the angle would be the tracking error of the telescope itself on the comet. The comet being so much bigger does not at first glance show this error.. as the edges of the comet are too diffuse... I am assuming that he had his cross hairs on the comet nucleus as the brightest thing....and had a very slight tracking error... at a 20 degree angle! which is easy to do, I have done it.

My opinion reverts to my first hunch. there may be, in fact, a debris field.

This brings to mind a posting on ATS that linked to a NORAD statement 6 months ago or so that they will not be providing incoming data on meteorites any longer...

Seataka

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join