It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Comet Headed for Inner Solar System

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
hopi prophecies:

"And this is the Ninth and Last Sign: You will hear of a dwelling-place in the heavens, above the earth, that shall fall with a great crash. It will appear as a blue star. Very soon after this, the ceremonies of my people will cease."

Nostradamus:

"The great star will burn for seven days,
The cloud will cause two suns to appear:
The big mastiff will howl all night
When the great pontiff will change country."

The bible:

"The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— 11the name of the star is Wormwood."

Sajaha prophecies:

"there will be a light, like a young star that light up the sky at the end. This is the water jug to cover to be opened [the beginning of the Age of Aquarius]. And a horror will come upon all servants of darkness and all their helpers."

Sorry I couldn't be bothered to read all the posts. Can some one tell me if we will be able to see the comet with the naked eye.

I don't know if these prophecies have anything to do with the comet but still its intresting.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by ALOSTSOUL]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by omodroyam

After sun down...first look west for Venus. You cant miss her, she will pop out before the other lights. You can spot Venus before it gets super dark. After dark...step out again, take a look west towards Venus...then look up to Venus's left....you should be able to find a 'red' star (Mars) and below right of that sits the blue star (Regulus). Of course...then try to take a bigger look...and see if you see Leo the Lion. Regulus is his heart.

On the 6th was their closest sitting together...but they are still really close and worth siting! Should be able to see them for a hour after sunset at least...but they will soon follow the downward (west) falling, just as venus will before them. They are not observable all night long...I would say past midnight they have already sat, if not a bit before midnight.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by quakewatcher

I wouldn't worry about it, at 1.3AU, it's further away from us than the Sun! Also, only the atmosphere is huge, you'll find the actual comet itself is nowhere near the size.

Just another pretty light in the sky!

Cheers for bringing this to our attention though, it's still interesting.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Found some viewing times and additional info at this website. Hope it helps. www.cometmcnaught.net

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I don't have time to read through the whole thread, so I am not sure if someone else has posted this.

Reports are that this might be the biggest comet ever, maybe bigger than Comet Hyakutake in 1996. I remember seeing Hyakutake in the sky, it was amazing. I hope this comet is equally as spectacular.

This is pretty amazing that we are witnessing two of the largest comet known. It sure makes one wonder about the whole 2012 thing. I guess you need to get up before dawn to witness this one.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Apparently, scientists have known about this comet for a couple of years now.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hulk Hogan
nibiru is a made up storytale full of disinfo/quacks, remember nancy leeder lmao

Nibiru is written about in the earliest recorded language we know of.. Cuneiform, Ancient Sumerian.

Therefore, it predates by many millenia the current "disinfo/quacks" with their "made up storytale".

Even a couple of hundred people pushing their own slant on Nibiru over the internet and in books, still does not make the entire thing as you suggest.

Sorry to go off topic, so back to the adveritsed show....

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Ok, so people keep shouting that this thing is not going to hit us. Ok. BUT it says this thing's atmosphere is larger than jupiter which is 11x the size of earth. This will come closer to us than the next planet out, Mars. One site I read said that it could come with in .4AU of the sun. That being said, is it too far out there to believe this thing could do some damage with out ever hitting us? What will happen when it flys through the astroid belt, does it stand a chance of hitting any other planets? Will it mess with our planet in any other ways like the moon does? Will it mess with the sun? For instance cause any odd flairs?

I am curious, I dont know much about these things. Does this thing have the potential to mess with us?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
BUT it says this thing's atmosphere is larger than jupiter which is 11x the size of earth.

I know peeps get all excited but come on, now really, a little common sense here would be good. The comet has an atmosphere the size of Jupiter, as in volume NOT mass.

In comparrison to a planet this thing is tiny and couldnt influence anything.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

It's "atmosphere" may be bigger than Jupiter, but the closest it's going to get to the Earth is 1.13AU. The Sun is 1.0AU away from the Earth. The Sun is nearly 1,000 times the size of Jupiter and outputs tremendous amounts of energy, yet we survive just fine. The Earth can certainly handle a comparatively tiny comet that's even farther away and not undergoing nuclear fusion.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Nah....its "size" is an illusion. It is merely a large, large 'cloud' of particles that surround the nucleus (the 'core') which is mostly water ice, and other junk...and NOT very large, at all.

The 'halo' of particles (atoms, really..and molecules) tend to 'glow' in the Solar Wind. Comets only 'light up' in this manner when they come in near enough to the star they are orbiting for the 'Wind' to affect them.

That being said, is it too far out there to believe this thing could do some damage with out ever hitting us?

NO danger, at all. None.

What will happen when it flys through the astroid belt, does it stand a chance of hitting any other planets?

Not even sure if its aligned with the plane of the ecliptic (Phage??) but even IF it is, space is REALLY, REALLY big.

And the asteroids are scattered FAR, FAR apart.

Here's a mental image for you: Try to imagine the entire surface area of the United States. OK? Also, think vertically too,up to say ten miles.

NOW, in all of that volume, imagine the only things that exist are three bumble bees.

THAT is about how "crowded" the asteroid belt is....( give or take a bee or two...
)

And in comparison? The nucleus of the comet is either about same size as a bee (or maybe even smaller, in scale).

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

It is going to be 1.3AU AWAY from us. That's 1.3 x the distance from here to the sun. How much of the overall mass of the comet do you think the atmosphere is? I'd bet a small percentage, when compared to it's size. Most of the mass will be the comet itself, which will be a fraction of the size of the whole. It may be the size of a planet, but nowhere near the mass and it is it's mass that gives a body gravity, which is the only possible force that could affect us from a comet at that distance.

Low mass, low gravitational affect on the Solar System, hence negligable effect on us.

Relax, you've got another couple of years left to live yet!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Oh, ok. Thanks for explaing it better to me. The way you all were talking, made it sounded like this was a huge bowlingball.
So basicly this is a great big cloud of illuminated particles flying through space. Sounds cool.

Why all the Hopi prophecy end of the world stuff then?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Is this version possible.
if you watch the simulation the star comes in ,but its also pushing comets in.which pass close to our planet the comets tale flip due to our sun ,, watch the model and the comets it influences our system.
one guys model.so is this possible or is it crap.
especially about new comet from planet x

www.millenniumprophecy.com...

[edit on 6/8/2010 by dashar]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
You know, when Halley's Comet first appeared, early 1900s....people were so frightened they commited suicide. Sad, really sad, the ignorance.

You know, when the Hale Bopp comet first appeared, late 1990s...people committed suicide. We haven't learned much since then IMO. Sad.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Anyone else, remember Comet West?? I was in Jr. High, and it covered 1/3rd of the sky, before sunrise- just breathtaking!! (This was back in '75, methinks....)

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
this link has a great picture of it and a star chart to help locate with the naked eye
Link

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
That's wicked.

I hope we will be able to see it in the Northern Hemisphere when it's at it's closest.

~Keeper

LOL, hopefully not too good a view though eh?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It seems like in the past, comets were rare, but they are getting to be regular occurrences now. Is this a sign that we are entering a more active area of space.

We might want to set aside greed and petty disputes, and start concentrating on developing a strong space program to protect our planet from this influx of large shooting comets flying across our system.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by smashenator
reply to post by Phage

When I come across topics like this I always look for your response 1st Phage.
You always seem to make sense of things, especially when the post sometimes turns into a runaway train.

Well done..

Is that you phage?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOWILLFALL
Could this be nibiru?

Nibiru is not a comet. It isn't a one object event neither. Also the Science Channel has info for you to help you out on this subject you love snickering about. science.discovery.com...
They call it Nemesis. Regardless, many say Zecharia Sitchin mistranslated the tablet he presented as his theory but why don't they say what the correct translation is? Its because the tablet that is being shown in the glyph is the Nibiruian System, not US with Nibiru thrown in. This new and improved video has much more info on it about the Oort Cloud and the bombardment of 'comets' every 26,000 years. Coincidence? I think not.
Also, don't let the multiple names fool you. They named ever object in this system and you've seen the names! Its their way of getting around F.O.I.A.(Freedom of Information Act) request.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join