It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the ignore button?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It can be possible this is allready discussed, no idea...

I mean, why????

1. One is free to give his opinion.

2. If you don't like what the other one had to say, let it go then, or reply..

3. If it's because he's a troublemaker, he'll be kicked from the forum, which I've seen happening before.

4. That person can have an interesting view on something which you'll miss.

Does anybody use the ignore-function?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Some members do you the ignore button if there is amember that they dont like for some strange reason then i guess they use the ignore button.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I've never used it. I'd still want to know what a person was posting. I guess it can help if you are being bullied by another member.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I've never used it either.
But it is nice to know that it's there sometimes.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I have to add, that if anyone feels they are being bullied, they should contact us via the complaints button, with a link to the bully posts so we can see if action needs to be taken. We are very keen on playing nicely here.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
A little off to the side of the topic....But I just thought of times I'd go into chat rooms and ignore everyone...Just go in, tell the first person they suck then ignore them. Go down the list doing that to everyone. But doing that here wouldn't be much fun.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
used it once, no twice to be exact.

why? because after days and numerous posts from the individuals, i could see they had nothing to offer. trust me...i give people time to prove themselves, and i understand language issues...but those were not the reasons. And it isn't about disagreeing with an opinion. I would never ignore someone because i disagree with them.

but i would ignore people who cannot make sensible posts, even after numerous attempts from various individuals to set them straight.... or if they spam the board with various idiotic topics offering nothing new or different, just dumbass ramblings....ignoring it, just guarantees that I don't have to see it.

but that is just is me.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I have never used it myself, and hope no-one has felt they have to use it against me!, but it is nice to know the option is there.

I too would rather see what some-one is saying and would expect anyone really worth ignoring to probably be kicked from the board, but (luckily I havn't been in this position yet), like Zzub has said, it would be useful in a position such as being bullied by another member..

It may be that you feel so strongly about a subject, that you can't bear to see what some people write against/about it, for instance I have seen some people make perfectly legetimate and non-bannable comments on, say, religon - perfectly acceptable (freedom of speech) but offensive to some people - they may just not want to have to read such things!

In my case, for instance, I have read some people saying terrible and unpleasant things about Stargate SG-1 - and my pointer has had to hover over the Ignore button! (Just kidding!!
).

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I still think it's an unnecessary thing.

I guess I'll just ignore... the ignorebutton.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I have used it once for only a few days. Sometimes people piss you off so much that it is better to just not expose yourself to the stupidity. This way you wont be tempted to start a flame war. That individual was eventualy banned so

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The question here is...Is the ignore function disrupting/lessening your ATS experience? I don't really see how it possibly could, so why not just leave it so that those who do choose to use it can?

Maybe you will choose to use it on me now...lol.

Peace,
Lukefj

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I don't want to ignore anyone.

The one's who piss of people the most, are the ones who lack love the most.

But I guess that's just my opinion, and most of the time, opinions are wrong... but I don't know about this one.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Zzub wrotes:

"...they should contact us via the complaints button, with a link to the bully posts so we can see if action needs to be taken."

can you please tell me where is that "complain button please? i have u2u the 3 big bosses and one mod about a complain, but i don't receve a possible unswer, may be because i do not have used that "complain" button ?, i can't find it..sorry for my ignorance.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
can you please tell me where is that "complain button please? i have u2u the 3 big bosses and one mod about a complain, but i don't receve a possible unswer, may be because i do not have used that "complain" button ?, i can't find it..sorry for my ignorance.

top left hand corner "suggestions"

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
If someone gets one your nerves you use it. I dont though...

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
thx a lot deadcatsrule

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It's for trolls. You can use it on someone you don't like but I think its original use is for ignoring trolls till they get banned.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I totally agree. I have had no use for the ignore button. I accidently clicked it once, as a newb, because I thought you get to rate a users post.
But then I unignored the user and had no use for it after that.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
it can work either way go ahead ignore me I don't care its your loss

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I know a certain member has put me on their ignore list because I had them slapped with a couple warnings when they first arrived.

I assume this because when I call the person to the carpet in the pit I get no response or even recognition I exist.

In places like the pit it is highly frustrating to talk to yourself, but I can see the benefits of the button if you really want to avoid a certain troll.

I never see myself using it because I think its not something I'd want someone to do unto me.

In general when your on someones ignore list it actually decreases your post production in that you dont feel motivated to respond to a thread created by someone who will never see your words.

top topics

join