It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honda's U3-X : Personal Mobility Prototype

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Amazing how this chair moves.

Honda could contribute to obesity if these become popular.

Anybody else see an Ezekiel-esque wheel within the wheel connection at 2:14?

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Signals]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
OMG This totally reminds me of the people on the movie Wall-E. Looks like thats where we're headed folks.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Some how i cant stop picturing a big top tent filled with asimo robots dressed as clowns riding these automated unicycles in a spherical cage complete with fire spouts and roaming tigers..

Anyway awesome post ! thanks!

~meathead

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It's awesome and all, put how much weight can they support? To much use of this thing will definitely increase obesity in America.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

That has got to be one of the coolest things I've seen in a while, thanks for the post!
That is just crazy how the inner wheel spins unidirectionally. Man, it looks like I am watching some preview for a sci-fi lfick or something.......love it!

Peace

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Heaven forbid you should get off your ass and actually walk.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zules
Heaven forbid you should get off your ass and actually walk.

To quote from Back to the Future 3:
"If everybody's got one of these auto-whatsits, does anybody walk or run anymore? "
"Of course we run. But for recreation. For fun. "
"Run for fun? What the hell kind of fun is that? "

And i mean isn't that thing more or less the same as a Segway PT? Just because it can stand on it's own doesn't make it special and i'd rather walk short distances or use my car. No need for such a thing.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

i have a feeling the elite will put these too good use in there huge D.U.M.B s. i mean they arent going to walk the 500 yards through the tunnel to thier roman style bath house are they?

~meathead

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This may be the jerk in me coming out but if I ever run into somebody actually using a retarded contraption like this I'm probably going to kick it out from under.

From a technical aspect I wonder how much the device weighs, since its probably electrically powered I suspect it has a good bit of weight between the motors and battery, so I don't see this thing having any kind of real production future.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Obesity wont be an issue. They will have to have max weight limits, and judging by the size, it will be a max of 200lbs.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
By itself yes it's pretty cool but I foresee people becoming too dependent on it.

On another side you always have to follow a chain of technology.

What else could this be used with?

The future of automobiles?

Highly maneuverable robots?

This tech could lead to other things that are far more cool than some chair.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I don't see it as being a replacement for walking. It could very well be suited as a transportation device for the elderly for example.
You want to go shopping or to an art museum but grandma and grandpa don't want to because there is too much walking involved....

Or I could see them being used in large factories helping people move parts around ....small parts.

In Germany in the large auto factories like Mercedes, Audi and Porsche they actually use bicycles to get around.

Just sayin'...

As a HONDA fan I am biased towards HONDA products though...here is one of my loves.

1975 Honda CB 550 Super Sport - 35 years old AND everything stills works !

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

This reminds me exactly of all the fat people riding on chairs in Wall-E.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I watched the whole clip and I actually felt myself getting fatter.

Maybe Honda will merge with Hino...... Hinda?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Segway light... might be helpful for semi disabled folks though

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Those people at Honda are really smart. I think they should put a gas engine in it though.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
Segway light... might be helpful for semi disabled folks though

Finally. Good post. Star for you.

It only took a half dozen obesity posts for someone to finally point out the benefit that something like this could have for paraplegics, amputees and other disabled people.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
This is really sweet! Those japanese are really taking the lead at technology development, while usa focuses on building killing machines.

This is some early prototype in the video, ofcourse production models could be made using various specs after the core technology is developed. Changing motor&frame size and amount of battery can address issues like weight range, speed, working distance etc.

This compares to a segway like socks compare to shoes.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Dude imagine tanks with heavy duty omni-directional wheels, making hyper maneuverable heavy combat support for the tricky in city combat.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MConnalley
Dude imagine tanks with heavy duty omni-directional wheels, making hyper maneuverable heavy combat support for the tricky in city combat.

There actually have been built tanks that work similar to this. Yes, you guessed right, it was those crazy russians who did it

/OT

[edit on 6/8/2010 by above]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join