It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your purse may have lead in it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Your purse may have lead in it

www.cnn.com

This is a video
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Oh my goodness... really?

Purses, Belt Buckles, Shoes... etc.... at where?

DSW... Vitoria Secret, TJMaxx, etc....

How much? in some cases, over 90X the legal limit....

WHAT???

Welcome to Rome folks, where we will lose our empire due to the exceedingly increasing amounts of lead found in our every day items.

Do you even realize how hard it is to find a garden hose that doesnt have lead in it? GEESH!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-6-2010 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Perhaps my love for strange purses has served me well over the years. No really, I've got a purse made with pop-tops, I also have one made out of an old license plate (though that might have lead). I also hate lugging one around so I don't carry it often.

To avoid this you need to test brands and do research. Don't buy cheap purses and don't assume it isn't cheap because you bought it for 300 dollars. DO NOT BUY IMITATION LEATHER OR VINYL. These are the purses most suspect right now. Bright colors are more likely to have lead because of the paints and dyes used.
www.enotalone.com...

My preferred handbags are knits and bought from local makers.
news.yahoo.com...
Article from yahoo, again the suspects are synthetic fabrics. Do not carry them. Yes real leather is expensive but it will last you a long time if you care for it.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by antonia]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
tutt.. i work in a enviorment where you have to have your blood taken every three years for the amount of lead init.. i there is over 40% or something then you will loose your job but may be able to claim so form of compensation.

the atmosphere is dusty dark and horrible. The amount of lead in the air is ridiculous, i work in a large steel factory that process billets and rolls them to size.

i should worry about working in thiis enviorment. I dont think you should worry about a small amount whether its over 90X the recommended level or not, it is still relativley low.

honestly this is nothing to worry about, a small amount in a bag or a belt is not enough to hurt you.

Edit: S&F anyway.. just think its things like lead pipes in your house that you need to be careful off.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by emayarsh]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

thanks so much for this addition....

You've cleared up a lot of questions...

As you mentioned... Dont buy imitation or synthetic materials...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Good points, all my purses are leather, you are right they last forever, in fact too long but hate to give any of them up. Never paid much attention to the hardware on them, I do know my DKNY has stainless steel hardware. What about lead pencils, does this mean I have to get rid of all my mechanical lead pencils that I used for years in accounting, oh those were the days before computers.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
There are two points you need to consider before you throw away your purse.

1. Not all lead is harmful.

Lead comes in many chemical forms. Some are harmful, some are not. Harmless lead is often in a form that is not biologically available because the lead atoms in the molecule are held in molecular cages.

Lead that is used to make dyes or pigments is often not harmful because it is not biologically available. So if your purse has a lot of lead due to its pigments, it is not necessarily dangerous.

2. Even if your purse contains harmful lead, it will not necessarily harm you.

In order for lead to harm you , it has to get into your body. Merely touching harmful lead will not harm you. One must often eat lead it or breath it in order for lead to be harmful.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
reply to post by antonia

What about lead pencils, does this mean I have to get rid of all my mechanical lead pencils that I used for years in accounting, oh those were the days before computers.

It's not lead, it's graphite.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

That dawned on me after I posted, there is still a major problem with lead in paint in older homes and building, still see an article once in a while about children being hospitalized for lead poisoning.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I have a question...how do you test your purse
for lead?If anyone knows the answer,please get
back to me!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
I have a question...how do you test your purse
for lead?If anyone knows the answer,please get
back to me!

What you need Mamabeth is one of these handy dandy Nitons... Niton Handheld Scanners

Thing is though, they're not cheap. They don't have the price plainly on the site but I recall something about them being in the thousands of dollars even ten's of thousands.

And wouldn't that just make sense too that they'd keep it out of our price range. Something that we could all use to avoid infertility, cancer and all of the other soft kill mechanisms our government is allowing the Chinese to ship here and sell us regardless as to how many containers they send here with tainted goods.

top topics

join