It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US reporter Helen Thomas quits over Israel comments

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

US reporter Helen Thomas quits over Israel comments

news.bbc.co.uk

Veteran US White House reporter Helen Thomas has retired after making controversial remarks about Israel.

In an interview on 27 May, she said that Israelis should get "the hell out of Palestine" and suggested they went to Germany, Poland or the US.
(visit the link for the full news article)

CBC Source

EDIT : to add second source

[edit on 10/6/7 by Magnum007]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
WOW!!! I guess that the tables are starting to turn and people are starting to speak out against Israel's policies. I am just surprised at where the comments are coming from.

I know she retracted her comments in the end, but when someone makes such a comment on "the spot", so to speak, it clearly reflects the inner feelings she has about this situation.

I have to wonder who will be next in line to come out with their true thoughts on the subject...

Peace,

Magnum

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

CBC source

EDIT : to ad second source

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
she was 100% correct in what she said.

problem is when you work for Jew run media then you gotta watch your mouth and not criticize jewish politics

sad though, since this was one time she was 100% correct.

just US people are scared to stand up to the Jews like other countries are.
But we are good at kowtowing to the Jewmedia

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

wow...

i am not laughing at the situation by far... I am laughing at the state were in when someone voices their opinion and are forced to resign since it doesn't follow the current policy...

welcome to the fascist states of America controlled by the military industrial complex and the world banksters.

(Sigh)

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cito
she was 100% correct in what she said.

problem is when you work for Jew run media then you gotta watch your mouth and not criticize jewish politics

sad though, since this was one time she was 100% correct.

just US people are scared to stand up to the Jews like other countries are.
But we are good at kowtowing to the Jewmedia

Originally posted by ugie1028

wow...

i am not laughing at the situation by far... I am laughing at the state were in when someone voices their opinion and are forced to resign since it doesn't follow the current policy...

welcome to the fascist states of America controlled by the military industrial complex and the world banksters.

(Sigh)

Here is my answer for both posts...

Well said, well said indeed... I don't understand why in a supposed "free press", "free speech" and "free world" people cannot say what they want, how they want, no matter who it "offends"... I agree with her 100% as well...

What I don't understand is that people preach "democracy and freedom" yet don't apply it in their own little world...

Magnum

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

The former sitting Buddha of the press corps, Helen Thomas, was a brave woman. She actually asked questions. I expect no one else in the press corp to follow her path. You ever been to a political press junket? Bunch of freaking suck-up ninnies everywhere. I thought local radio DJ's could be bad....

The other reporters know what is at stake for them. You aren't going to see a lot of comment from them.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

quite a few years ago, I passed a note to Helen about 911. and thought she could shed more light on it. I know she got my information, because her publist said my information disturbed her and she would take a look.
that was years ago, and still nothing about 911 from Helen. hummm.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I have fortunately not been to a press meeting... My guess is that the questions are pre-selected and screened beforehand... Of course if the journalists veer "off course" they are then ostracized...

It's sad that this is how journalism is today... A humanities teacher I had in college once told the class that in some ways he'd rather live in a dictatorship where you know that you are fed propaganda, than a "democracy" where you get the illusion of freedom of information and choice...

Sad but true...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Evil

It's possible that the subject is just way too far above even what she can tolerate... Maybe even dangerous for her... Just supposing...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
What I don't understand is that people preach "democracy and freedom" yet don't apply it in their own little world...

That's the other side of the coin. No one has to provide her with a public forum so she can exercise her right to freedom of speech, either.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

That's the other side of the coin. No one has to provide her with a public forum so she can exercise her right to freedom of speech, either.

Agreed, but she shouldn't be "coerced" (for lack of better term) into resigning over the comments because it clashes with "conventional" thought...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

It depends on who did the coercing. As long as it wasn't a government official...in which case it might be a 1st amendment violation...I see nothing wrong with it. Again, its the other side of the coin. She can say whatever she wants, but by the same token, people are also free to criticize her for doing it...up to and including demanding she be fired.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I can't agree with you more... It's common knowledge that when certain people of a certain status "resign" it's not always because they want to... They are usually told to... or at least strongly suggested to...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Cito

I'm soo glad to hear support for people leaving occupied lands.

When will the US be packing up an moving back to Europe? The place will be so much nicer when you guys are gone, although admittedly it'll take a few generations to repair the damage you've done.

I'll never understand how any American can criticize Israel for occupying someone else's lands while they occupy mine. The Apache land occupation was completed a mere 50 or so years before Israel came into being. My people were deported ot Florida and held as prisoners of war for more than twenty years. We still have no reservation (I'm Chiricahua, the last tribe to bear arms against the US), no reparations, no subsidies, nothing, squat, zero.

But I guess we missed a cutoff date for counting or being relevant...sooo long ago, I should just "get over it". Why aren't the Palestinians told to "just get over it", too?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

I'm really sorry that this happened to your nation. I am quite aware of the situation with aboriginals as I live and work in an Inuit community. The situation not being the same here in Canada as the Native Nations here are treated WAY better than in the US (not as well as they should be but that's for another discussion)...

You parallels are quite on the spot and although I share you opinions on the matter, the situation in the US can only be improved by better funding of the Native Nations and by giving more land back to them. There are human rights issues on the reserves and they need to be addressed immediately.

When it comes to Israel, there is a current armed conflict in which human rights are severely breached and people are dying violently everyday by aggressions... This is an international issue and nations need to get involved...

I really hope that your people will get what they deserve and that the US government will finally recognize the faults and trauma it caused to the Natives of the US...

Magnum

link   

Agreed, but she shouldn't be "coerced" (for lack of better term) into resigning over the comments because it clashes with "conventional" thought...

Vor78 already touched upon this and I agree with what they are saying.

As an individual she has the ability to speak her mind. Being in the position that she is in, there is a lot of responsibility in what she says. If the coersion occured from Government because her statements were not lock step to the tune of the official stance, then an inquiry must be made.

If the pressure was coming from the general public in which she is serving through her reporting, then there was no violation of her 1st Amendment rights to free speech. That is a product of what happens in a free press and a free market. The demand for her reporting will undoubtably decline because of her choice words.

While we have the ability to speak freely and openly, there is an amount of responsibility that is carried with it. For years now I have witnessed an effort to remove personal responsibility from all aspects of our lives. In my opinion, besides those that are finding some sort of conspiracy in regards to this are perpetuating that very notion by complaining she is retiring over her comments.

link   

This lady speaks sense. As the creation of Israel was bought about by the Germans maybe it's them that should sort it out. They made the mess in the first place that led to Europe's surviving Jews taking that land, maybe they should sort the problem

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Responsibility is the first and most important part of any given right, on that I agree. I just find it difficult to accept people resigning because of pressure from their peers or employers over opinions... To me that's the problem...

(side note) I'll be back, have to get back to work!

Magnum

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
While we have the ability to speak freely and openly, there is an amount of responsibility that is carried with it. For years now I have witnessed an effort to remove personal responsibility from all aspects of our lives. In my opinion, besides those that are finding some sort of conspiracy in regards to this are perpetuating that very notion by complaining she is retiring over her comments.

This is true. Honestly what she said was stupid and I do believe her company had the right to fire her over it if they so wished. People like to cry about freedom all day, but the first amendment doesn't free you from the consequences of what happens when you tick folks off.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by antonia]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What she said was a faux pas inexcusable.

Bye, bye Ms. Thomas. You've been quite the character. Sorry you ended your long career in this sad and disgraceful manner.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join