It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China: cracks in the Three Gorges Dam, so 300,000 people can wave goodbye to their homes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I highly doubt millions of lives will be lost. when a crack goes normally its just a minimal area which then spans onto larger areas. At that point many people will be running for their lives and only a couple hundred thousand lives may be risked but I believe the government of china would evacuate these people asap and maybe even have a minimal few thousand dead. Either way... not good news. But not as dramatic as the size of this thing.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
That whole thing was a bad idea, and even if it puts innocent life in danger the Chinese government doesn't care. They forced people out of their homes in some of the most historically and culturally significant areas of the river in order to move towards their dream of having a big new dam to show off to the neighbors.

The only thing they are afraid of is losing face in front of the international community. There is no concern for their own displaced and downtrodden people, or the rich heritage of their nations rural areas.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Even if the title looks misleading (a bit too much... 300 000?!), this is really breaking news. China not fixing that big problems? Wow! And if the dam breaks.. just imagine.. it's going to be crazier than in movies!!!

:\

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I'm surprised noone here has mentioned this yet.

I first heard about this a year ago, and when this Dam news came out yesterday it popped back in my head and I spent an hour or so trying to look up what I sorta remembered. Here goes:

Not long before Walter Cronkite died last year a person of native american decent posted a thread on the godlikeproductions website. He claimed to have had a "vision" or lucid dream of sorts that was propheic in nature. In a nutshell, it was the Walter Cronkite would soon die, and when he did, within 333 days there would be a major catastophe in China involving a dam breaking. It was also said that when this happens, it would mark the beginning of Mother Earths vengence on the people. IOW: Expect lots more earthquakes, volcanoes and the sort (my interp).

Cronkite died on July 19th, 2009. 333 days later means this event would have to happen in the next week. And lo and behold, we have cracks in a dam!

I know people on this site HAAAAATE prophecies and predicitons. Keep in mind I am not the one making them. But the good thing is, you know you wont have to wait long to have this one proven/disproven!

Here is the link to the original posting:

Dam Disaster Prophecy on GLP last year

[edit on 8-6-2010 by C_Tanner]

[edit on 8-6-2010 by C_Tanner]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Well what do you know....

QuestioningAll was right all along..

Three Gorges Dam in China–Largest in World – Serious Problems? Affects the Whole Earth

Oh boy, the fun we had...

Peace

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Do you actually think no one tried to stop this project? Not only is it an ecological disaster, it was an archeological diaster. Shrines and villages that were thousands of years old were covered by water. Along with cemetaries,monastaries,and other priceless buildings.

China was so hell bent on showing its power that it wasn't going to let anyone stand in the way.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Complaining means you support an alternative. What's the alternative? Coal? Or do you people believe that cheap electricity does not have positive effects on society and the Chinese deserve to be without electricity? Also, for those of you that are clearly lack in reading comprehension - the article actually never states that cracks are appearing in the dam itself. More fatalism based on misinterpretations which is very typical.

[edit on 8/6/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
guys the mother nature's way of population control comments are kind of..... creepy and in bad taste... just my opinion.

This is very sad indeed, that's alot of lost lives.
They already lost alot of people with the earthquake they had

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I think the size of the reservoir alone could spell disaster. The weight of such a large body of water can increase seismic activity. If this area runs along a fault line things could start shaking more frequently. A few cracks in the damn might not be a concern under normal circumstances but if seismic activity is on the rise the damn will really be put to the test. Certainly debris from landslides falling into the lake will increase the total weight of the reservoir.

Imo it's the low bid syndrome. Getting the job done as cheap as possible can come back to bite us all in the a#$. Just take the Gulf for example cutting corners is probably what we'll find at the bottom of that disaster. Why don't we take the low bid when it comes to government? Seems like they vote themselves a pay raise every time the mood strikes them. Yet for major infrastructure jobs we have to settle for what's on sale.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Anyone out there want to do some research on which contractors designed and built the dam? I seem to remember that it had something to do with Haliburton.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
This is a demonstration of what happens when you buy cheap, shoddily "Made In China" products ...... Buy Canadian - you'll spend more, but it will last longer in the long run. Our dams are all still standing

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Truthfully I am suprised that this dam hasn't failed earlier, with all the issues that has presented since the day they started building it.

The most polluted river in the world, lets DAM it UP!

Yeah that sounds great right? While we do this we'll make money and pollute some more.

Human beings and the way we think, ohh shoot I forgot most of us don't think before they do things, money rang a bell and the took the river and the dam to the bank.

If the thing does break, I am saddened by the loss of life. Yet again, we have no right to build these structures on tributaries then go around thinking we are MAN! We are powerful! Yet earth is planning a comeback harsh and fast beneath those men who think they are great then all will be lost forever.

NA man think of consequences in his actions, just like the USA Military dumping chemical weapons at sea during the 50-60's right? Ahh we'll just dump this toxic waste and forget about it!

You heard about the Mustard gas off New York recently right?

Man will get his debts demanded to be paid in full soon enough.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join