It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP buys Google, Yahoo search words to keep people away from real news on Gulf oil spill disaster

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

BP buys Google, Yahoo search words to keep people away from real news on Gulf oil spill disaster

www.examiner.com

In their most tenacious effort to control the ‘spin’ on the worst oil spill disaster in the history, BP has purchased top internet search engine words so they can re-direct people away from real news on the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This is just the type of thing that is to br expected from a sinister, more dirty than trash, downright evil NWO front company such as BP. Not to mention Google and Yahoo... They seem to go out of their way to keep us all ignorant at every level. I don't have anything more to say.. cept just to poin this out.. Have a nice day. RDDS

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Why am I not surprised in the least?

Bah, it doesn't matter anyway.
It's not like anyone here at ATS uses search engines to find info anyway.

At least not google and yahoo.

Thanks for the head up though

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
How true is this story?

If really true.. Boycott Google and yahoo?

Whats the next best search engine alternative that will get you the goods on PB?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Veracity still in question since it is The Examiner... but I've been off Google since their whole privacy deal. I use Alta Vista now but it's not that great. I went to it because it seems too stripped down to need to be controlled.. =)

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
They should spend their money to clean up the mess they made. I agree we on ATS don't use search words but a lot of the general public do and this is very misleading. I would say more but I got warned yesterday for doing such!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm confused as to how exactly you can "buy words"?

Maybe someone can fill me in on that.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I am a bit dubious about this story. There is no proof in it and although they say this BP spokesperson confirmed it, he is not quoted. I am also wondering what the point would be of such an action at this point. There is no escaping the total devastation that is unfolding when oil drenched birds are washing up.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

With enough money you can buy pretty well anything.

Sad fact.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Of course none of you actually TESTED this supposed story by simply typing the words "oil spill" into your search engine.

Yahoo gave me a list of everything except BP when I tried it - but they did come up on the "Sponsored Websites" list of paid advertisers, and that's all I suspect this is, BP has paid to effectively advertise their clean up efforts as if they were selling oil spills.

A partial truth is being spun as a huge conspiracy.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Retseh]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Easy now everybody, you will still be able to use google and yahoo to search for BP oil spill news. BP just bought the top spot (number one search result)on the search results list. All other news results will follow under the top spot.

abcnews.go.com...

Be careful where you click, especially if you're looking for news on the BP oil spill. BP, the very company responsible for the oil spill that is already the worst in U.S. history, has purchased several phrases on search engines such as Google and Yahoo so that the first result that shows up directs information seekers to the company's official website. A simple Google search of "oil spill" turns up several thousand news results, but the first link, highlighted at the very top of the page, is from BP. "Learn more about how BP is helping," the link's tagline reads. A spokesman for the company confirmed to ABC News that it had, in fact, bought these search terms to make information on the spill more accessible to the public.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by InvisibleObserver]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
Of course none of you actually TESTED this supposed story by simply typing the words "oil spill" into your search engine.

Yahoo gave me a list of everything except BP when I tried it - but they did come up on the "Sponsored Websites" list of paid advertisers, and that's all I suspect this is, BP has paid to effectively advertise their clean up efforts as if they were selling oil spills.

I just did. There's still plenty of anti BP rhetoric links on google the moment I type "oil spill".

I think the OP came across some false information.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

Originally posted by Retseh

I just did. There's still plenty of anti BP rhetoric links on google the moment I type "oil spill".

I think the OP came across some false information.

I don't think the Op is wrong at all here is why..

If you use a search engine like www.exalead.com... you will get very different news, like law suits and such.. seems that might be rougher harder hitting news on the spill then both Google and yahoo are providing.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
If they are doing what InvisibleObserver quoted in his post then I don't see the big deal.

Anybody can pay to have their sites show up at the top of search results. It doesn't stop any other results from showing up, and its not "buying the phrase" or "buying words".

It does seem to be "fear mongering".

Understanding the Sponsor Results on the Yahoo! Search Results Page

Yahoo! Sponsor Results are listings displayed in Yahoo! Search results that link to advertisements or websites for products or services. The words you enter in the Search box determine which listings are displayed. For example, if you search for digital cameras, you will see Yahoo! Sponsor Results—labeled as "Sponsored Results"—for websites that sell or provide information about digital cameras. [\quote]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
totaly false type in gulf oil spill if you want hits i clicked up to page 15 and every thing taht comes up is about the oil spill pages and pages .
web sites talking about the rig web sites linking to the rovs
pages and pages TYPE IN GULF OIL SPILL in yahoo and see for your self.
bp may being doing pr im sure they are but they have not censored any oil spill sites as far as i can see
GULF OIL SPILL yahoo
just clicked up to page 20 now it starting to list Blogs about the spill and other country's takes
you guys know how to use search?

[edit on 7-6-2010 by xxcalbier]

[edit on 7-6-2010 by xxcalbier]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
IDK about blocking but YES they did buy a sponcership into Google and you can see it at the top when I searched "gulf oil spill 2010".

This has some truth to it!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

I don't think the Op is wrong at all here is why..

If you use a search engine like www.exalead.com... you will get very different news, like law suits and such.. seems that might be rougher harder hitting news on the spill then both Google and yahoo are providing.

I think you, the OP, and anyone else with the same line of thought is blatantly wrong, if not attempting to deceive.

I search oil spill on yahoo, this is what I get.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3b0548d0c8bc.jpg[/atsimg]

3 out of the 4 first news results are in regards to tightening laws and looking for liability.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
So thats where my "Oil or Ether" pages went, into an Illuminati net
waste basket.

ATS has more hits to knock down "How To Make Hash Oil From Marijuana" to second place

Google just couldn't abandon ATS yet perhaps Google knows it was
me checking.

The Illuminati drug page is so important.
Sure BP wants everyone to smoke weed and forget we have a Gulf.

Tesla he has been forgotten for years.
In fact today's science has been built around him and is perhaps
a contributing factor to people know knowing what life is.
Not a bowl a cherries but a big can of ether physics.
ED: Ting Tings: BP... thats not my name... on Google and Yahoo
ED: So is it CIA or Alqueda money that is paying for
"How To Make Hash Oil From Marijuana" to come up first on Google.

[edit on 6/7/2010 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
All they did was buy the top spot, nothing more, nothing less.

I work at a customer care service where we have Google represented also with it's sales department, they sell the sponsored links that you see on Google also, this is comparable to that, just that it's not a sponsored link but simply the top spot on the main result page after someone performs a search containing all, or any, of the words BP bought.

I don't see the big deal, all other news is still normally available and nothing got censored, just BP using the internet and the most used search engines to get more attention on their own website other than sites like ATS, which is very understandable if you would put yourself in their position.

No harm done here and blown way out of proportion in my opinion, they're not HIDING anything, just advertising their own efforts (for as far as they concern it as being actual efforts) in containing the spill.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This should not come as any surprise now should it? BP I am certain, like any other firm of their size, has a PR and Legal department that is about the size of Rhode Island, so their efforts at damage control do not shock me at all.

Besides, are you really that enamored with disinformation from the main stream media? Or do you perhaps enjoy laughing at politicians who make an attempt to discuss engineering or science (I know I do)?

When politicians make a statement such as "we need to plug the hole" I am uncertain if they are talking about the geometric and physics challenges of the problem at hand, or their encounter last night at the local whore house.

With the exception of the White House's (now minuscule, underfunded, and incompetent) department of science and technology policy, those morons would not know a differential equation from a set of Egyptian hieroglyphics.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by supaflyrobby]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join