It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to get off benefits and get A JOB!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hi Ats,

I am getting deeply frustrated and upset, I claim benefits I admit that, I also have PTSD,
I feel that my spirits have been lifted and I want to try and work or at least get into work, for the last 3 years I have been scared to leave the house or do anything, I have lived like a hermit, I really don;t want to carry on like this.

I hate sitting at home on benefits and people slagging me off because they think I'm work shy and I'm not. I am not a dosser.

I have had 6 interviews in the last 2months and I am a very bright good looking young lady who has lots of experience with many jobs in the past from clerical to shop work.
I have even tried for 16hours.

I just can't seem to get into work, and I am being told I am a dosser who needs to get off benefits.

I wish mr cameron would speak to people like me WHO WANT TO WORK!!!!

I am at wits end

PEACE

[edit on 7-6-2010 by prettygreeneyes26]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by prettygreeneyes26

If you want to work; then work you should.
Britain must have employment agencies like the US. How about county, state or local government agencies that help find people jobs?

I'm sure someone with prettygreeneyes won't have any trouble finding gainful employment.

Good Luck from the Land of Enchantment!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well you have a good attitude, just keep looking im sure you will find something.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
well I did go job centre the other day and they told me I need to ask permission to even start a job also, so I have no idea what that's about.

no they don't help...they just say NEXT....

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Stigma is a hell of a thing...sorry to hear that and good luck

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Go to employment agencies.... every town and city has one.... they've basically taken over from the job centre anyway..

What do you mean when you say the job centre said you have to ask permission for a job? I don't understand?

[edit on 7/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Sometimes the best job isn't one you do for someone else, but the one you do for yourself.
You could create your own job, or work from home where you are comfortable.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Agencies are a load of crap they take your details and do one.

Yes now when you want a job if your on benefits you have to tell them and it's up to them if they want you to take that job.
That is what they told me when I inquired about starting work off benefits.:bnghd:

as i see it the systems corrupt they want you off benefits so you can pay tax.

If i want 16hours with paying no tax then they say "fU"

they just want money via tax

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I would love to work from home, where would I look for a job like that, I have looked online but to no avail.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Not all agencies are crap although I will admit most are.

And are you saying that if you're on benefits, you can't apply for jobs in the paper or at shops/offices and so on?
Only jobs that the job-centre tell you to... I don't believe that.

I work in recruitment and have had many people who are out of work and on benefits apply for things and so on... obviously you have to let the job centre know and come off benefits, but they certainly don't stop you applying for jobs?

I still don't get it.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Elance.com

Try this. Lots of different projects, one may right for you.

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

their word where "If I wish to start any job I would have to notify them in due order and they would make a decision off the (decision maker) whether I could start that job"

then I received a letter stating about permitted work,
and I could work 10hours on top of my benefit and be taxed which is fair, but as to 16 hours you have to ask permission to start any job

oh they didn't care about starting full time work, I would just have to sign off,
baffling isn't it

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by prettygreeneyes26
their word where "If I wish to start any job I would have to notify them in due order and they would make a decision off the (decision maker) whether I could start that job"

then I received a letter stating about permitted work,
and I could work 10hours on top of my benefit and be taxed which is fair, but as to 16 hours you have to ask permission to start any job

Have you got permission to work in the UK?
Are there any reasons why you can't work in the UK or are you limited by study commitments or anything?

Also you can work up to, but not including 16 hours a week.

So you could work 15 and a half hours no problem.
Also Tax credits... you can claim tax credits when you start working and this can boost your wages by quite a bit.... significantly in some cases.

The job centre are a bunch of assholes who just see you as a statistic and want you out the door.... Much like a GP does.

I would go and talk to citizens advice or something C.A.B. because I don't think that they're being fair with you... either that or you've misunderstood what they've said.

You don't need permission from anyone to start a job.

You only need to let them know when you do so they can stop your benefits.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

i can work in the UK, I am English born and bred.

this whole job malarkey sucks, I've heard about the tax credits but aren't some due to be scrapped soon,

but I wouldn't want to work and claim though, I'm trying to achieve the opposite.

If I had the money i would set up a burger van outside the jc !.

only joking

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

You say you suffer from PTSD.

Are you former military?

Have you been medically diagnosed or do you just use the term?

I am just curious,that is all.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I think what's happening is the benefits you are currently on only allow for you to work up to 16 hours per week and still receive full benefits.

If you were to do a job that required you to work over 16 hours per week (maybe) you need to get a letter from your doctor? psychologist? stating that your PTSD - which I'm assuming has been officially diagnosed so you could receive benefits - is no longer stopping you from working more than 16 hours per week.

I don't know how the benefits system works in the UK but that is my take on what they're telling you... I am probably completely wrong though.. sorry if I am.

Good luck with the job search, keep up the great attitude

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Maybe you could try volunteering somewhere? Find someplace/something you are interested in and volunteer. It's one way to get your foot in the door. You can try the work without committing and you might find you really enjoy the "work". Sometimes this can lead to a very fulfilling career.
It could be a win/win situation.
Let us know how the search goes. Good luck!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I've been out of work for a long time, due to illness, Over 8 years now. I've finnaly started to feel like im capable of working again now, so I have started doing some voluntary work. I want to become a youth worker, so i have volunteered as a youth mentor for a year. I'm also hoping to do more voluntary work, it's all about getting my confidence back and taking a bit more time thinking about what I want to do rather than just taking the first job that comes along.

So maybe some volunteer work could be good to help you get your foot bup into the world of employment.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Hey guys thanks for all the replies, every reply counts, and thanks for the ideas,
I have thought about voluntary and sent off a few letters here and there and not had a reply, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places,

I have been diagnosed with PTSD when I was attacked by someone I knew a while back, I had panic attacks too where I would freeze and freak If put under a tiny amount of pressure or emotion, but recently I have found out that, that person has moved out of the area, I doubt he has told the police of his new movement, but anyway I feel a lot better now he's gone.

A few people have noticed the difference in me for the good.

the question is where do I start without getting stuck into something I may not be able to handle

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Volunteering is definately where you should start. Pick an area your interested in, there are loads of things you can do. i'm sure you will find something. It will definately help your self esteem

top topics

<<   2 >>

join