It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The man who leaked the infamous Wikileaks video has been arrested for his actions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Federal officials have arrested an Army intelligence analyst who boasted of giving classified U.S. combat video and hundreds of thousands of classified State Department records to whistleblower site Wikileaks

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/042ba971a4a8.jpg[/atsimg]

SPC Bradley Manning, 22, of Potomac, Maryland, was stationed at Forward Operating Base Hammer, 40 miles east of Baghdad, where he was arrested nearly two weeks ago by the Army’s Criminal Investigation Division. A family member says he’s being held in custody in Kuwait, and has not been formally charged.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cf9e94d3d49b.jpg[/atsimg]

From this article:
U.S. Intelligence Analyst Arrested in Wikileaks Video Probe

Manning was turned in late last month by a former computer hacker with whom he spoke online. In the course of their chats, Manning took credit for leaking a headline-making video of a helicopter attack that Wikileaks posted online in April. The video showed a deadly 2007 U.S. helicopter air strike in Baghdad that claimed the lives of several innocent civilians.

This seems like a betrayal to me. I wouldn't expect this from a computer hacker. It is kind of hypocritical.

He said he also leaked three other items to Wikileaks: a separate video showing the notorious 2009 Garani air strike in Afghanistan that Wikileaks has previously acknowledged is in its possession; a classified Army document evaluating Wikileaks as a security threat, which the site posted in March; and a previously unreported breach consisting of 260,000 classified U.S. diplomatic cables that Manning described as exposing “almost criminal political back dealings.”

“Hillary Clinton, and several thousand diplomats around the world are going to have a heart attack when they wake up one morning, and find an entire repository of classified foreign policy is available, in searchable format, to the public,” Manning wrote.

So, there you have it. The man who risked it all to bring the autrocities occuring in the middle east to light has been arrested for doing just that. He is currently being
held in custody in Kuwait, and has not been formally charged.

Good luck buddy, thanks for putting your @ss on the line for the greater good.

-E-

[edit on 7-6-2010 by MysterE]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
We are talking about this brave soul here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

Opps!, thanks for the link, I will ask a MOD to close this thread

-E-

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up. I think this deserves at least one reply...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Arrested and held without charge...
thats freedom baby...
the hacker probably SOLD him
your credit cards and pin numbers are fair game to some of those bozos.
honest work is not their forte. ahem

on the other hand there seams to be a concerted effort to get the rest of the world to be totally disgusted with the US and its allies
Israel and Britian
prep for WWlll IMHO
so there is a slim chance this leak was an black OP
like Mcvay and Oklahoma.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

Manning was turned in late last month by a former computer hacker with whom he spoke online. In the course of their chats, Manning took credit for leaking a headline-making video of a helicopter attack that Wikileaks posted online in April. The video showed a deadly 2007 U.S. helicopter air strike in Baghdad that claimed the lives of several innocent civilians.

I wonder if he sold Manning out to avoid charges?

It doesn't make sense though. Why spread the word that you leaked the video? Especially given the impact that they had. And the attentions that it focused on the TPTB, surely you'd want to lay low after pissing the military.
Manning surely went to a lot of trouble to leak them if he did, bragging online seems like rookie move to me. IMHO anyway. I hope it doesn't cost him.

“Hillary Clinton, and several thousand diplomats around the world are going to have a heart attack when they wake up one morning, and find an entire repository of classified foreign policy is available, in searchable format, to the public,” Manning wrote.

Piss off the entire U.S. Dept. of State! And you tell people that it was you.
Sorry, I don't buy it. Could be true. I hope he hid that material well, Manning could be in a world of crappola if they find him in possession of classified material.

So, there you have it. The man who risked it all to bring the autrocities occuring in the middle east to light has been arrested for doing just that. He is currently being
held in custody in Kuwait, and has not been formally charged.

IMHO, if he did do it, he got arrested for being stupid.

Good luck buddy, thanks for putting your @ss on the line for the greater good.

-E-
Agreed. I hope Manning gets through it, he deserves respect for telling us how it really is.
I wonder how Wikileaks will respond to this.

[edit on 7/6/10 by atlasastro]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
If it is indeed the guy who actually did it and not some patsy, than I truly feel for him.. Actually, I feel for him either way. Regardless, it's selfless acts such as releasing such files and putting your life in jeopardy for the greater good that heroes are made of. He's ballsier than I think I ever could have been. Unfortunately, he'll be branded a traitor forever and who knows what else they'll do to him.

Sad world we live in... I only hope that TPTB wake up one morning to see exactly what the article said they would see! I'm wish Wiki would hurry up and release the other stuff!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I wonder how many more 'classified' videos are out there being covered up?

Kinda scary....

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Your thread is fine. One thread is allowed in BAN and one other forum.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
damn.

although the 'hacker'
was most likely someone in the military himself.
They do recruit some of the best.

Thanks Bradley Manning, Blessings upon you mate.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I love ATS.

You applaude those you like when they break laws and curse those you don't like when they break the law.

Yes he is being held without charges. He is in the military he doesn't have the same rights as you.

This little fact is probably going to make a lot of you have a heart attack.

Your beloved hero is already condidered guilty. He isn't presumed innocent til proven guilty. He is guilty until proven innocent.

Carry on with your hypocritical raves of this criminal.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
He is an outlaw, not a criminal. He will be hailed as a speaker of the truth in the history books.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracle Man
I love ATS.

You applaude those you like when they break laws and curse those you don't like when they break the law.

Yes he is being held without charges. He is in the military he doesn't have the same rights as you.

This little fact is probably going to make a lot of you have a heart attack.

Your beloved hero is already condidered guilty. He isn't presumed innocent til proven guilty. He is guilty until proven innocent.

Carry on with your hypocritical raves of this criminal.

Lmao. That camera is clearly an RPG. It's attitude like yours that are destroying America.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by rizla]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

It's funny this arrest occured just as wikileaks is saying they are going to release something big, is this being done to scare off any future contributors to wikileaks?

It's actually a positive situation for wikileaks because the guy only got caught because he boasted about it, how utterly stupid is he? If you ever do something like this, giving away classified data then the first rule is to keep it to yourself.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

top topics

join