It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nicaragua suspends diplomatic ties with Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Nicaragua suspends diplomatic ties with Israel

news.xinhuanet.com

MANAGUA, June 1 (Xinhua) -- The Nicaraguan government Tuesday suspended the country's diplomatic ties with Israel in protest of the Jewish state's deadly raid on the Gaza-bound international aid flotilla on Monday.

Government spokeswoman Rosario Murillo, who is wife of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, announced the move in a short statement.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.presstv.ir
rantburg.com
www.thejakartaglobe.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pope denounces Israel 'violence'

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

"Nicaragua suspends from today its diplomatic relations with the government of Israel," said the statement.

The Nicaraguan government "emphasized the illegal nature of the attack on a humanitarian mission in clear violation of international and humanitarian law," it added.

The Israeli navy backed with helicopters attacked early Monday morning the flotilla in the Mediterranean international waters with live ammunition and gas bombs, killing at least 10 people on board and injuring over 30 others.

The UN Security Council on Tuesday condemned the Israeli move, calling for "the immediate release" of the ships and personnel held by Israel.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This may not seem like a big deal and for the most part it isn't, however it is a very good indicator of how the rest of the world is viewing Israel, over the latest attack on the aid flotilla. Sure, Nicaragua isn't really important in the grand scheme of things but Israel is completely dependent on how it is perceived around the globe. Being supported by the US alone, simply isn't good enough for the survival of the Jewish nation. I have a sneaky suspicion that many other governments will do the same as the days and months pass by.

Here in America, the public doesn't really get a good view of how the rest of the world thinks about our policies, including the policies of Israel. Our media is basically censored in a way to keep Americans from realizing just how unpopular these policies may be. For instance, we probably won't hear about the governments who are condemning this attack, other than the governments that our leaders want to slander.

I wonder how many other countries are going to follow in Nicaragua's foot-steps?

--airspoon

news.xinhuanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Bloody hell Ortega is taking a risk there! Does he not remember the American backed Contras?

The Americans under Bush only let him return as president of Nicaragua in 2006 if he agreed to tow the U.S. line this time.

I don't think cutting links with the U.S. establishment's favourite country equates to 'towing the line'.

Ortega.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Well, with the political climate in Latin America, the US can't afford to lose another nation to the rash of "leftist" movements underway. Latin America is going through a revolution of sorts and much of it is directly because of abuses committed by the US. I don't think we will condemn over this, IMO.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
I wonder how many other countries are going to follow in Nicaragua's foot-steps?

My country has strained relations with Israel at the moment, and has already taken some diplomatic action over a previous issue, and issued a statement condemning Israeli actions against the humanitarian aid convoy.

But I don't think my leaders would have the courage to go that far. Infact they don't even have the courage to stick to their own policies right now, let alone do anything to rock the boat too much.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Hmmmm, we shall see.

Its not like the Obama administration is walking a new track in regards to Latin and South America. Just look at his reaction over the coup in Honduras.

Every other country in the OAS condemmed it and called for the return of President Manuel Zelaya apart from the U.S.

In my opinion CIA agents, who are obviously already stationed in Nicaragua, will be given the order to forement unrest and opposition to Ortega over this.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

I'm only saying that Nicaragua probably won't see any repercussions from the US about this.

As far as Honduras, many people have convincingly argued that the US acted the way it did over the Honduran president's opposition to US military bases and his support for ALBA.
Source: en.wikipedia.org...

In fact, some have argued semi-convincingly that the US government was actually complicit in the coup, or at least knew about it before hand and gave the ok.
Source: www.presstv.ir...

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I would be surprised and shocked if the CIA were not involved in President Manuel Zelaya's overthrow.

I would literally be lost for words.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Actually there are documented meetings between American representatives and oppositor political and judiciary leaders (and i think the Catholic church) few days before the Coup...
I'll try to find some links.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
hahaha in other news.................

Like this would make a difference this small county is nothing and but it now wants to take center stage well guess what i expect some how would i say civil unrest :]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Good to see nicarauga stand up for whats right as well. Just because a country may be small doesnt mean their voice shouldnt be heard..

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I agree. They dont have a lot of pull, but sometimes it takes a few small voices to get the ball rolling. I hope other countries join in. I wish the US would too, but we all know that isnt going to happen any time soon.

Nicaragua

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Well done Nicaragua I hope many countries will do the same, 'cause now Israeli's conduct has become scandalous. Israel deserves to be outlawed, the pain of palestinians is unacceptable. All the civil countries should do the same as Nicaragua and USA should stop blindly defending a terrorist country. They must PAY for what they're doing.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Neocon4life

Well hey man you never know. This could be like Grenada. Sure they're only a small population of like 100,000 people but they might represent some kind of existential threat to a large world superpower like the USA. Just because they're small doesn't mean America isn't vulnerable and playing the perpetual victim, just like the Israeli's do.

For a small country like them to come out and do this it might not mean much for the USA. But for them it could mean life or death. For them it is a big thing.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I wish Canadians would take a long, hard look at how our government deals with the Israelis. Stephan Harper is the biggest shill to ever occupy Ottawa, he'd probably draft Canadians to fight Israel's enemies if he thought he could get away with it. He just makes me sick, I don't know how he got re-elected. God damned Christian fundamentalist Neo-con will end up making us all look like fools.

top topics

join