It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"So Help us God" What happened to this quote?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I received this email today. Why must they always leave something out when it comes to GOD?

Today I went to visit the new World War II Memorial in Washington, DC. I
got an unexpected history lesson. Since I'm a baby boomer, I was one of the
youngest in the crowd. Most were the age of my parents, veterans of "the
greatest war" with their families. It was a beautiful day, and people were
smiling and happy to be there. Hundreds of us milled around the memorial,
reading the inspiring words of Ike and Truman that are engraved there.

On the Pacific side of the memorial, a group of us gathered to read the
words President Roosevelt used to announce the attack on Pearl Harbor:
"Yesterday, December 7, 1941-- a date which will live in infamy-- the United
States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked." One woman read
the words aloud: " With confidence in our armed forces, with the unbounding
determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph." But as
she read, she was suddenly angry. "Wait a minute," she said. "They left out
the end of the quote. They left out the most improtant part. Roosevelt said
'so help us God."

"You're probably right," her husband said. "We're not supposed to say things
like that now."

"I know I'm right," she insisted. "I remember the speech." The two shook
their heads sadly and walked away.

Listening to their conversation, I thought to myself, "Well, it has been 50
years. She's probably forgotten."

But she was right.

I went home and pulled out the book my book club is reading. It's "Flags of
Our Fathers" by James Bradley. It's all about Iwo Jima. I haven't gotten too
far in the book. It's tough to read because it's a graphic description of
the battles in the Pacific.

But right there it was on page 58. Roosevelt's speech to the nation. It ends
"so help us God."

The people who edited out that part of the speech when they engraved it on
the memorial could have fooled me. I was born after the war. But they
couldn't fool the people who were there. Roosevelt's words are engraved on
their hearts.

[edit on 10-6-2004 by The Nemesis]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Nemesis
I received this email today. Why must they always leave something out when it comes to GOD?

Why must we believe every e-mail that is sent to us?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Why not believe this one. If it were untrue, it would be easily shot down and put into the hoax email category. Although I have never been to this memorial personally, I am sure there are plenty that have. Can someone prove this email wrong or is this a fact?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Originally posted by The Nemesis

Why must we believe every e-mail that is sent to us?

Why are you so negative?

We Christians can thank the Democrats and the ACLU for another attack on our traditional values. That is simply appalling....but we wouldn't want to offend anyone would we..............BASTARDS!

[Edited on 6/10/2004 by Venus]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
On a side note, should this email prove to be truth, it is understandable that this day and age, God is phrase that is becoming less used in society. But who has the write to edit original quotes such as this? Thoughts?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venus
Why are you so negative?

We Christians can thank the Democrats and the ACLU for another attack on our traditional values. That is simply appalling....but we wouldn't want to offend anyone would we..............BASTARDS!

[Edited on 6/10/2004 by Venus]

Yeah, and the Satanists can thank Christians for attacking their values EVERY FRIGGIN DAY!!

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
you can blame the liberals for leaving the rest of the quote out!

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mig12
Yeah, and the Satanists can thank Christians for attacking their values EVERY FRIGGIN DAY!!

OH PLEASE................what "Values" would those be? Please think before you post because I'd hate to have to embarrass you. :shk:

[Edited on 6/11/2004 by Venus]

AF1

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venus

OH PLEASE................what "Values" would those be? Please think before you post because I'd hate to have to embarrass you. :shk:

[Edited on 6/11/2004 by Venus]

Though I don't call myself a satanist, I do agree with a lot of their philosophy. The Church of Satan was founded in 1966 by Anton Lavey. Contrary to popular belief, satanists don't worship Satan. In fact, they don't even believe in him (or gods for that matter.) They use Satan as a metaphor, since it symbolizes man's descent from religious doctrination, and allows man to explore their spiritual side freely.

Since I believe that the bible was written by man to control other men, it makes a lot of sense. If there was a god, why would he forbid Adam and Eve from eating the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. Satan was the fallen angel who persuaded them to taste the knowledge. The writers of the bible needed some safeguard so people don't question the authenticity, and what better tool to use than blind faith and obedience!

To read more on Satanism follow this link :

www.Satanism101.com...

And I guarantee that if I were to go and tell all my fundy friends that I agree with some aspects of Satanism, they would never talk to to me again.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
There are also other Satanic groups not affiliated to the LaVeyans, for example The Temple of Set.

I believe that they are a break away group who do believe in the existance of Satan.

The Temple of Set and Satanism

Q1: What is “Satanism”?

A1: Satanism is the belief in the existence of Satan as a sentient being or spirit in the universe, and the worship of Satan and obedience to his perceived principles, standards, and goals. As Satan is defined as a metaphysical being - Devil or Archangel, such belief in him constitutes a religion rather than a rational philosophy or ideology.

Q2: Can one be a Satanist without believing in the existence of Satan?

A2: Not if words are to have their generally-accepted meanings. A Satanist is one who believes in the existence Satan, just as a Christian is one who believes in the existence of Jesus Christ, a Buddhist in the existence of Buddha, and a Muslim in the existence of Mohammed. A person who claims to be a “Satanist” but who denies Satan is simply using the title for ulterior motives such as personal glamorization or commercial exploitation. If that person denies the existence of all metaphysical beings, he is by definition an atheist, not a Satanist. If he professes to believe sometimes and not others, when it may suit his convenience, he is a hypocrite.

www.xeper.org...

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Satanism is a religion involving either the worship of Satan, or some other supreme evil being, or the directing of one's life based on inspirations gained from study of the archetype of Satan.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
So?

You christians seem to have a problem with satanists , or anyone who isn't christian for that reason...

AF1

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   

So?

You christians seem to have a problem with satanists , or anyone who isn't christian for that reason...

Don't bother trying, if it doesn't involve christ then it's wrong.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I'm sick and tired of christians forcing their religion down everyone else's throat.

For Christ's sake, leave me alone. I don't wanna be christian, or I would be.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The thing about the WW II memorial is an URBAN LEGEND!!! Go to urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_war_memorial.htm
and hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBHackedHistory.shtml

I desire for Christ to be glorified too, but not through false stories

[edit on 29-11-2005 by asoccerwannabe]

new topics

top topics

join