It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'157-year-old' woman found

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Could this be true? If so, it is an incredible leap from the previous record of 122 years old. And who knows how long she will still live, since she is apparently in good shape.

Maybe the local cigarettes she smokes has something to do with it?

Source: www.straitstimes.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by above

Wow!

If this is true, better start smoking the Clove giggies then!

Or drink a few drops of clove oil a day.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Wow!
If they can't verify it, it will never be considered true...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by above

Good find above

It could be true in my opinion.

I wonder if she has a kind of 'reverse Progeria' condition?

Those born with progeria typically live about thirteen years, although many have been known to live into their late teens and early twenties and rare individuals may even reach their forties

Just a thought.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
It could indeed be true.It is estimated that the human body is designed to live up to 190 years.Ofcourse this has always been a ballpark figure the science behind it is sound.If this case turns out to be true it supports the estimate.

The human body appears in designed to live up to 190 years. All the vital organs and tissue regenerate over time. Pancreas regeneration takes 24 hours, the Stomach a week, blood is replaced regularly, and the brain creates new connection. It is believed that every cell in your body is replaced in roughly 7 years, and on average human the body is 15 years old. With time and pollution, even gravity itself falters the cycle, new cells are not as stable and organs become more open to diseases. Waste accumulates until eventually proves fatal. If you grow a body in a tube, under perfect condition it is believed to function for 190 years. The world's verified oldest person is Jeanne Calment 1875 -1997, aged 122 years and 164 days. However Antisa Khvichava from Georgia is said to have been born 1880 and 130 years old. Here is a link - uk.news.yahoo.com... If this proves to be right she will be the oldest person in modern recorded history. Basically if you have good genes, avoid polluted areas and live a good healthy lifestyle it's possible to live up to great age.

This woman must have amazing genes then with all the smoking she does.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
If this is true, better start smoking the Clove giggies then!

Yeah, it looks like the "unhealthy" stuff let you live longer. The (previous?) oldest person on earth, Jeanne Calment, mentioned in the article, also smoked for nearly 100 years, ate 1 kilogramm of chocolate every week and basically didn't care that much for her health.

I wonder how it is to live that long. How many generations of people, your own family you get to know. All the changes in the world, all the events going down. I wonder how it feels to grow up in the 19th Century and then live into the 21st. It must be pretty exciting.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by above

I love stories like this

I wonder how long it will take for someone to start bottling the local water and selling it as a 'Cure for Death'

And she still remembers everything too! I can barely remember the incident last week when I....erm....

Great story, only another 137 years until I beat her record.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by above

wow! I hope me & my parents live that long

s&f4u

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
mmmm clove cigarettes are lovely!

This is an impressive find though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was true but does sound a little unlikely.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

The (previous?) oldest person on earth, Jeanne Calment, mentioned in the article, also smoked for nearly 100 years, ate 1 kilogramm of chocolate every week and basically didn't care that much for her health.

Apparently its because some people are born with certain (fairly rare) Longevity Genes www.dailygalaxy.com...
www.supercentenarian.com...
The "good news" about Longevity Genes is that it'll soon be possible to create drugs that mimic these genes effects in everyone's bodies

Drug Creates "Super Mouse"... www.wired.com...
New Longevity Gene Discovered Common in People who are 100 www.timesonline.co.uk...

These drugs may be politically controversial. Too bad...
Because literally hundreds of billions, of dollars are at stake, for a patient on any (a safe) longevity drug. The government would be Insane to let e.g. China get its hands on the (tax) profits (first).
If "only" because its sales will make the money available for curing aids and cancer Combined, seem TRULY PATHETIC; if only because these problems only affect some of us, while age effects everybody.

And (politically) many customers (e.g. say in particular, those who don't believe in god?) will find it very hard to put a price on a "miracle cure" for death.
I believe in God; but I'd still want to buy something that delayed me, needing to go into a nursing home. If the side effect, of the drug is you live e.g. 5-10 years longer (towards the next development in medical technology) then I (for one) can live with that!!!

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by above

'157-year-old' woman found

incredible. who in their right mind would lose a 157 year old woman?

(j/k)

thanks for the find!

E.T.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
"Unfortunately Turinah destroyed all her identification several decades ago to keep her from being connected to a communist coup in Indonesia back in 1965, so her claim cannot be immediately verified.

Read more: www.geek.com..."

Right. Just out of curiousity how can we verify her age?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Gives me hope that i would possibly live my dream of going into space, im 18, in 100 years our tech will be incredible!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Well,maybe some one should ask Larry King or Hellen Thomas if they know her.

They could verify her age.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
in the article it said her adopted daughter was 108. If her daughter was 108 you figure the mother would have to be at least 128. I doubt anyone would allow somone to adopt unless they were fincially stable and over 18.
Back in Biblical times people lived up to almost 1,000 years. Unless they went by a different calculation of time then human bodies possibly could live a lot longer. Leaving religous aspects out of this and looking at pure history would it not be fair to say that we do not truly know how long an indivual could really live?
Anyone hear of Count St Germian who was rumoured to have been 100s of years old? A person meeting him years later commented he looked exactly the same and it had been over 20 years!

[edit on 7-6-2010 by dreamseeker]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Seriously, her adopted daughter is 108? So, the longevity is not in the genes.....gotta get some of those ciggies.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Gives me hope that i would possibly live my dream of going into space, im 18, in 100 years our tech will be incredible!

i hope this becomes a possibility for you, i really do.

to dwell over the technological advances we have made in the last 100 years is mind boggling. a little over 100 years ago we first had mass production of automobiles. less than 50 years after that we were splitting atoms ... less than 70 years later we were walking on the moon.

at any rate, the advances we make in the next 100 years should be ....
within the realm of science fictions' fantasies, and perhaps outside the realm of our current imaginations ....

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
One word :

Awesome!

Wow, just wow!

EDIT: Oh and hadyn_17 .. it's my dream too, and I hope I will do it one day!!

[edit on 8-6-2010 by jolois]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

Cut and paste. You might not get the effect of it yourself, but with cut and paste with viral dna editing you could pass the longevity traits onto your children.

Some mtDNA differences code for longevity. So you could acquire an egg from someone with those mtDNA and have you & your partners recombined nucleaus pipette'ed into it. Thereby breaking the mtDNA line of the female partner, but potentially expanding the lifespan of your children.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I wonder if her telmorase gene is still turned on after birth, this would make sense sense to live this long her DNA would definitely fray past replication

had to correct off to on

[edit on 6/8/2010 by denynothing]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join