It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Intelligence Analyst Arrested in Wikileaks Video Probe

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Some points that relate to the topic I would like to bring up:

First, let's just view a few small details about the "cables". Let's start by assuming that they are all in Word format. The average size of a Word document is around 3kb give or take depending on what source you reference. This places the total size of the zip files he mentions at around 780MB. Assuming compression is used, further drop that to let's say, 500MB. Not too bad.

However, they aren't in Word format. Well what about emails? Makes sense they would be emails. Average size of an email? Around 7kb on the low end assuming it's all text and no pictures. That places us at 1.8GB uncompressed. After compression, estimating around 1.4GB. Possible, but starting to look difficult to move that much information quickly and undetected.

However, they aren't in email format either. Why? Because he specifically mentions they are CSV, or comma separated values format. That means something like Excel was used. That changes EVERYTHING. The average size of an Excel spreadsheet is around 11MB. That puts the total size of the zip files at a whopping 286GB. Yeah you read that correctly. No amount of compression is going to make that small enough to transfer in any form of disguise.

I will tell you something else based on my experience in the intel analyst world: Every state department cable has a header, and a footer, and a certain format. That means they have a definite minimum size. It's going to be around 10kb even in basic Word format. That's all I can say about that without violating an NDA.

What does that mean? Judge for yourself and feel free to come up with your own calculations there.

Second point I want to raise is that if indeed Wikileaks did possess these "cables", ask yourself this: If you were sitting on information that was leaked and constitutes multiple SERIOUS violations of United States law punishable and enforceable, well in actuality we're talking about 260,000 possible offenses, would you in your right mind want to admit it? It's one thing to release a video, quite another to knowingly release information like that.

There is more to the story that I would bring up, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to do so. Instead I will offer my opinion:

There are no "cables". Or if there are, it's a number alot smaller than 260,000. Like maybe 26. As for the rest of his story, all I can say is there is truth in some of what he talks about, and other parts of it are plainly BS to anyone who has been in the same field. That's my contribution, and feel free to toss it or examine it at your own leisure.

As far as the character/actions of Lamo and Manning.. I have no comment. I'm not in either of their shoes so I don't expect me to judge somebody I don't know the full story on. -shrug-

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dramier
Some points that relate to the topic I would like to bring up:
However, they aren't in email format either. Why? Because he specifically mentions they are CSV, or comma separated values format. That means something like Excel was used. That changes EVERYTHING. The average size of an Excel spreadsheet is around 11MB. That puts the total size of the zip files at a whopping 286GB. Yeah you read that correctly. No amount of compression is going to make that small enough to transfer in any form of disguise.

You would get much higher compression ratios for excel document formats than what you have stated. Probably more in the 80-90% range. That would bring the total data size down considerably. Regardless even using your original estimates moving ~300GB is not that difficult. The point here is that this data could be moved anywhere, anytime I wouldn't think this is an issue.

What I find strange with this story is that a somewhat intelligent person would risk it all in such a carefree manner. He will never see the light of day....again.

brill

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
For all who love brave men and freedom, must help ensure the freedom of the intelligence analyst.

No doubt what he did was wrong, but the taxpayers have a right to know. The helicopter murders were gruesome, were a truth to him and right now a reality shared by many who saw the video.

Fellow peaceful americans are now an accessory to such murders, and perhaps now know better why some in the world hate americans.

The truth must never be subdued, or subjugated, but made plain for all to see and know, so that all may discuss, debate and work out better solutions for mankind.

Killing one another or enslaving each is not a solution, for mankind's gift of life comes with freedom and can never be kept on chains for long.

Either we be freed amicably, or we will free ourselves bloodily. Some will die, but many more will live, and definately the masters and their bootlickers will not survive such encounters. This is a fact of history which cannot be denied or whitewashed away.

So do help to free him, or at least give him a fair trial, for he is still an American who exposed the horrid dealings of the military, and should not be facing a biased military court but a civilian one.

Write to everyone you know, your family, relatives and friend. More needs to have courage like him and our support to such people for standing up for society and humanity.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Quoting my own post below, just to make clear, what I am talking about.

I left a question in the comments at Risky Business about that contradiction.

Interviewer Patrick Grey answered:

"I noticed that also. Struck me as strange."

Originally posted by Siddharta
Talking about contradictions before, here is another one.

On June 10 Patrick Grey said after the interview with Lamo, that he also had told him, that Lamo sent the chatlogs to wikileaks and that they can decide, wether to pubish them or not.

Now wired.com published an email dated June 11, which allegedly is from Assange, who demands to get the chatlogs for the lawyers to defend Manning.

And now they quote Lamo, that he was not willing to share them with those people.

I posted the quotes and sources in the Manhunt-thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Interestingly enough, the Pentagon is now actively seeking Julian, according to Blacklisted News from the Daily Beast.

Source

So apparently the Pentagon at least believes he may have classified materials even if according to Twitter posts, Wikileaks is denying possession.

I didn't see this mentioned in the seven pages so far, and the date on the news from Blacklisted is 6-13, so I figure this might be new material not covered already.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Interesting article for those who haven't seen it.

Bradley Manning, American Patriot

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I think I threw up in my mouth a little when I was reading that article. Tripe.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join